Author Topic: Cricket - ball tampering  (Read 9429 times)

Re: Cricket - ball tampering
« Reply #25 on: 28 March, 2018, 12:14:30 pm »
More details released by Cricket Australia (summarised here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/43565737):-

"
The body also said Bancroft used sandpaper to damage the ball during their third Test with South Africa.

It found Smith and Bancroft had made "misleading public comments" when on Saturday they instead claimed it had been yellow tape.
"
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #26 on: 28 March, 2018, 12:50:12 pm »
Lots of time to fix punctures, now!  (Not that I'd want them anywhere near mine.)

« Reply #27 on: 29 March, 2018, 12:53:19 pm »
Men crying :'( for getting caught/losing prestige and money. Perhaps the phrase 'what the worst that could happen'? should have been the second thought after 'shall we tamper with the ball'?

« Reply #28 on: 29 March, 2018, 01:45:22 pm »
It's a bizarre story. Guys - remember the cameras!

But I have to say, perhaps rather regrettably, also very intriguing.

If ever there was a good week for England to bury scrutiny of a disastrous innings in New Zealand, then this was it!

Dear oh dear!
Garry Broad

« Reply #29 on: 29 March, 2018, 01:50:52 pm »
Lehmann gone now.

Australia 0/4.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #30 on: 29 March, 2018, 04:09:43 pm »
ObOb: https://inews.co.uk/sport/cricket/sandpapergate-funny-memes-responses-bancroft/

(The kid trying to get Nathan Lyon to sign a piece of sandpaper is utterly wonderful.)
"Australian sports tape"  ;D
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #31 on: 29 March, 2018, 08:17:07 pm »
Men crying :'( for getting caught/losing prestige and money. Perhaps the phrase 'what the worst that could happen'? should have been the second thought after 'shall we tamper with the ball'?
I find it hard to believe that these people are adults. Amateurish cheating, snivelling while apologising for letting down mummy - the works. Looks as if they've never left the playground.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #32 on: 29 March, 2018, 09:07:22 pm »
Steve Smith, the captain of the Australian Cricket Team, bawling in a live interview. Over a calculated cheat involving quite a few players.

Astounding.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #33 on: 29 March, 2018, 10:05:55 pm »
And now the ACA have waded in.

It's just not cricket.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #34 on: 29 March, 2018, 10:24:11 pm »
Richard Virenque.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #35 on: 30 March, 2018, 06:05:32 am »
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #36 on: 30 March, 2018, 09:22:43 am »
I have a hard time thinking of a more arrogant sports team. Boston Red Sox comes close.  Chelsea in the Mourinho days?
Of course they thought they could get away with it. They've pushed the boundaries of the game so far already.

« Reply #37 on: 30 March, 2018, 09:43:32 am »
I'm certainly struggling to feel any sympathy for them. I think it's a bit shabby that the players' union are whining about the nature of the punishments from CA. Cheat, get caught, get punished. Don't whine.
Rust never sleeps

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #38 on: 30 March, 2018, 10:33:52 am »
ObOb: https://inews.co.uk/sport/cricket/sandpapergate-funny-memes-responses-bancroft/

(The kid trying to get Nathan Lyon to sign a piece of sandpaper is utterly wonderful.)
"Australian sports tape"  ;D

Love it. Mate :P
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #39 on: 30 March, 2018, 09:02:39 pm »
I'm a bit anxious that no-one kills themselves over this.  To be a professional "sports"man is to be highly-strung almost by definintion.  I also think it was a bit rich that the Australian PM professed national outrage and horror-  as if Australians were some sort of moral beacons.  I think most people were irritated at most but shocked, no.

« Reply #40 on: 30 March, 2018, 09:06:02 pm »
What was shock g was that they admitted to it!
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #41 on: 30 March, 2018, 11:34:27 pm »
1:00am David Warner to spill some beans.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #42 on: 30 March, 2018, 11:46:04 pm »
While Bancroft's probably sitting in a room somewhere scratching his head, thinking, 'how on earth did all that happen?', and Smith brings himself back from walking too close to Beachy Head on a dark night, one gets the impression that Warner really doesn't give a s**t about any of it! lol 
Garry Broad

« Reply #43 on: 31 March, 2018, 02:20:55 am »
I have a hard time thinking of a more arrogant sports team. Boston Red Sox comes close.  Chelsea in the Mourinho days?
Of course they thought they could get away with it. They've pushed the boundaries of the game so far already.

Former coach Mickey Arthur lets rip:

https://www.playersvoice.com.au/mickey-arthur-truth-about-aussie-cricket-culture/#wlWr4UMH6cIT5c1W.97

Oh, and I'll leave this here, too - here's what Warner had to say about ball-tampering in 2016:

David Warner on Faf Du Plessis, after Faf was charged for ball tampering by the ICC.

"From an Australian cricket perspective we hold our heads high.. I'd be very disappointed if one of our team members did that.."
https://twitter.com/GlobalCricketer/status/979094219439603712

So as well as being a cheat, he's a hypocrite.

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #44 on: 31 March, 2018, 02:22:29 am »
1:00am David Warner to spill some beans.

Left more questions than answers.

talkSPORT Cricket Editor Jonathan Norman:

Wow.  What a press conference from David Warner.  Expected the tears and apologies but not the simmering resentment and refusal to back team mates.  Feels like he's the scapegoat.  This could get even uglier.  #sandpapergate
https://twitter.com/FulhamJon/status/979875132377219072

Aggers:

David Warner sidestepping questions about the involvement of others in the ball-tampering saga.
https://twitter.com/Aggerscricket/status/979873672696512513
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #45 on: 31 March, 2018, 08:56:49 am »
I love the fact that the Aussie PM made an official statement on the matter.

Ball tampering in Aussie cricket seems to warrant the same level of grave seriousness that Russian nerve-gas attacks in Britain do.

Heaven help Putin is he ever tries cheating in an Aussie cricket game.

Cricket is far more important than life or death!

I’m kidding, what happened in Salisbury was diabolical

A

I watched India versus Pakistan in Australia, it looked like a game of life and death to me.

« Reply #46 on: 31 March, 2018, 12:41:10 pm »
I love the fact that the Aussie PM made an official statement on the matter.

Ball tampering in Aussie cricket seems to warrant the same level of grave seriousness that Russian nerve-gas attacks in Britain do.

Heaven help Putin is he ever tries cheating in an Aussie cricket game.

Cricket is far more important than life or death!

I’m kidding, what happened in Salisbury was diabolical

A

I watched India versus Pakistan in Australia, it looked like a game of life and death to me.

Were Carl von Clauswitz around today, he might have a thing or to say about sport being the continuation of war by other means.  ;)

« Reply #47 on: 02 April, 2018, 03:17:44 pm »
Bit of a mix of sports here, but I couldn't help noticing the difference in reactions between the Australian (latest) ball-tampering incident, from which we got pretended national outrage and may yet witness ruined careers and possibly lives (Nathan Lyon be careful what you wish for) and the diving in football.  A result from Liverpool's Sad O'Man (eh?)'s dive against Crystal Palace was Jurgen Klopp, the Liverpool manager, frothing almost uncontrollably at the camera about there having been contact, as if that meant there is an automatic penalty.  He seems to believe the ex-player pundits when they say you can't touch anyone in the box.  What they mean is it's risky.  Klopp and other managers seem to now think it's a foul if you touch a player in the box.  You can use just as much physical force in the box as outside it - you take your chance.  Mane was cheating, as so many do.  Why no outcry when there is so much more money involved than in cricket?  We* even talk about players "winning" penalties, as if it was a worthy exercise.

* For definitions of "we" that don't include me.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #48 on: 02 April, 2018, 04:02:02 pm »
I don't think it is pretended national outrage. Every Aussie I've spoken to since then thinks that very harsh penalties are warranted for ball tampering, whether by Aussies or not.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #49 on: 02 April, 2018, 11:52:11 pm »
D, I do hope you're right.  Maybe I'm too cynical in very late middle age!  But the diving stuff is just as corrupt, not that that is the fault of cricketers.  I also don't think anyone except the gaptain should be allowed to approach a referee - and if the captain is John Terry then he shouldn't either!