Author Topic: A new compact P&S? to replace a Canon A590is with borked batter door latch  (Read 2172 times)

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
Sadly, it looks like I'll be needing to replace my trusty Canon A590is camera.

It is fully functional, and it still take good pictures.  If only the essential doubrie of plastic on the camera body, which forms an essential latch for the battery compartment door didn't snap off, resulting in the battery door not closing securely on the batteries.  >:(

I tried velcro, but that didn't have enough strength, but tactical rubber bands seem to have worked for the mean time...

However I would like to replace the camera with something of a similar size, ideally with manual control, decentish macro close up  for record shots of flora and fauna and takes AA batteries.

Ideally under £80 as I intend it to be a general purpose pocketable camera, for when I'm out cycling / walking and I don't want to carry bulky dslr / bridge camera.   Also the canon had a programmable self timer (up to 30 seconds, then up to 10 shots), which I found handy for taking "arty" selfies while up the hills...

Any suggestions?

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
Re: A new compact P&S? to replace a Canon A590is with borked batter door latch
« Reply #1 on: 27 December, 2016, 11:25:39 pm »
F***ing Canon Battery Door covers.  They are a weak point on so many models.  My old P&S uses rubber bands now.

The issue is that AA batteries put a lot of pressure on the door whereas a proprietary NimH battery is held in place with a clip so the door isn't under pressure.

Best bet is to go to a big CURRYS and take a look for ones with a decent metal latch (if you insist on AAs).  You can buy decent 3rd-party Batteries now, I have 3 for my new Canon, which sees me through a few days.  Also I have a USB charger for them which makes charging much easier.

Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2 on: 28 December, 2016, 08:36:01 am »
We have an A590is that hasn't been used for years* and never had much use anyway - we have far too many cameras.  I dug it out just now and it's still fine.  PM me your address and I'll send it over.  With a bit of luck I might even find the box.

*Just had a gander at the SD card in it - last used in December 2012.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #3 on: 28 December, 2016, 11:03:42 am »
I have a Canon A580 which is still giving good service.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #4 on: 28 December, 2016, 07:47:47 pm »
We have an A590is that hasn't been used for years* and never had much use anyway - we have far too many cameras.  I dug it out just now and it's still fine.  PM me your address and I'll send it over.  With a bit of luck I might even find the box.

*Just had a gander at the SD card in it - last used in December 2012.

Oooh, that's very kind of you! PM sent!  :)