Author Topic: Bought any photography stuff today?  (Read 170038 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Bought any photography stuff today?
« Reply #775 on: 03 March, 2017, 11:47:14 am »
I made my mistake with the rear screen of my 630.  I shall be getting a decent protector (the transit one is coming away already, and is, besides, somewhat grainy).

Do you know if there is any protection available for the front glass?  I guess I could get a filter convertor and lens cap, but that's a bit of a workround...
Getting there...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #776 on: 03 March, 2017, 12:16:30 pm »
Looking at ours there's no sign of scratch or wear, it is recessed reasonably well. I have found the 'filter ring' detached though, it doesn't seem to click in very tightly.
It is simpler than it looks.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #777 on: 04 March, 2017, 08:09:25 pm »
A couple of off-brand batteries for my dSLR
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #778 on: 13 March, 2017, 03:08:21 pm »
Just ordered from John Lewis a Ricoh GR ii pick it up tomorrow. I sold my old one when I got the Lumix LX100 but I have never been happy with it’s low light results so I have decided to get a new Ricoh. For me it is one of the best compacts on the market, the large sensor, fast lens and pocketable size make it ideal. Only drawback the new version comes with gadgetry I will never use.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #779 on: 23 March, 2017, 03:47:10 pm »
A battery for the Inlaw Paw's old Panny FZ-8. Along with a Nikon P5000, this was in one of his cupboards. The Nikon's battery was flat but took a charge, the Panny's was too but didn't. It's old tech with a mere 7 Mp sensor but a good 36-432mm-equiv lens: my idea is for it to live in the kitchen, whence we often see interesting birds out back.

The IP and I both had P5000s. He loved his but I found it too sluggish and gave it to my son, who isn't into photography so he didn't care. We'll keep the IP's one, though.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #780 on: 23 March, 2017, 09:23:44 pm »
Not bought as such, but I did send my cheaply-acquired Nikkor IF-ED AIS 300/4.5 lens off to have the fungus cleaned off.  It doesn't seem to make any difference at all to pictures, which are just as sharp and contrasty as from other lenses, but it might get worse.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

David Martin

« Reply #781 on: 23 March, 2017, 09:54:13 pm »
A replacement Strobist gel set as my other one went missing.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #782 on: 24 March, 2017, 02:00:38 pm »
Wow. The battery I ordered yesterday afternoon arrived in the post this morning. :D
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #783 on: 25 March, 2017, 12:20:57 am »
I bought a Rollei mini tripod thing.

It is engineered. Very engineered. It expands, contracts and weighs a bit. It has multiple spirit levels (if you have glasses). It will hold 8kg.

I'm taking it on holiday. I'll have to forgo a meal to pay for it, but so far, I don't care.
It is simpler than it looks.

David Martin

« Reply #784 on: 03 April, 2017, 10:18:01 pm »
A super tele-zoom. Tamron 150-600. Budget didn't stretch to the latest model but this one has great reviews and I'm looking forward to taking it to Mull next week.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #785 on: 03 April, 2017, 11:40:22 pm »
A super tele-zoom. Tamron 150-600. Budget didn't stretch to the latest model but this one has great reviews and I'm looking forward to taking it to Mull next week.

I shall look out for it.... I plan to be on the ferry to Tobermory some time next week.  It shouldn't be hard to spot.

Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

David Martin

« Reply #786 on: 04 April, 2017, 10:44:58 am »

I shall look out for it.... I plan to be on the ferry to Tobermory some time next week.  It shouldn't be hard to spot.

We'll be in some off grid cottage for a week. Look for someone riding a bike slowly with a lot of photo gear attached.

David Martin

« Reply #787 on: 17 April, 2017, 11:34:06 pm »
Mull was great, but I have decided I do need a rain cover for the camera and lens. So that is on it's way.

Here is the lens in action. It is as heavy as it looks.
DSC_4675 (2) by David Martin, on Flickr

Samuel D

« Reply #788 on: 17 April, 2017, 11:42:01 pm »
You seem to have a pretty good counterbalance in the big backpack.

I see you use a GPS in the hotshoe. Which one? I’ve been dismayed at how slow Nikon has been to integrate a GPS receiver in the camera. This is a ‘killer feature’ for me. Footery pairing with bad mobile apps is not a viable alternative to this feature, though Nikon and others seem to think otherwise.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #789 on: 18 April, 2017, 02:19:52 pm »
New (2 me) Canon 430ii Speedlite arrived today.  My old faithful Fuji HS10 fell to bits (well the lens did) recently and there's no equivalent now on sale new.  Used ones (HS50) seem to be like rocking horse manure so after a lot (and I do mean a lot) of research, bought a nearly-new Canon SX50HS a month ago.  Then the filters and hood 'cos the Fuji ones didn't fit, then a cable release, Manfrotto tripod ('cos the old one was bust) and now the flash for fill-in, to get the automatic facility.

So, yes, I've bought some stuff.  Getting good results with bird photos but it does like good light with the long zoom.  Still getting used o the options and menus after the old faithful Fuji... (sniff......)

David Martin

« Reply #790 on: 18 April, 2017, 05:32:49 pm »
You seem to have a pretty good counterbalance in the big backpack.
105mm Macro, 10-24 Nikkor zoom, flash, various other accessories. The bag is mostly empty at this point.

I see you use a GPS in the hotshoe. Which one? I’ve been dismayed at how slow Nikon has been to integrate a GPS receiver in the camera. This is a ‘killer feature’ for me. Footery pairing with bad mobile apps is not a viable alternative to this feature, though Nikon and others seem to think otherwise.
It came with the camera when I got it. I'll look out the brand - seems to work very well. It is nice having the pics geotagged.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #791 on: 18 April, 2017, 11:08:42 pm »
Got a trail camera, £80 from Lidl. My old one is going a bit weird, the screen doesn't work, and its not recording video. The new one should be a bit better, higher resolution, and actually has a microphone. Its out in the garden tonight, so I'll see what it gets.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #792 on: 24 April, 2017, 01:27:12 pm »
Several days ago now, but life has been a bit tricky lately...

A Samyang 24mm Tilt/shift lens.  I'm well aware its not the very best in the world, but as long as its used considerately, and I don't try using it at full aperture, I think we'll get along fine.  Took a few indoor test shots with it tilted and shifted, and hopefully I'll find time to attack some buildings with it soon.
Wombat

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #793 on: 24 April, 2017, 03:45:49 pm »
That sounds like it could be a lot of fun.  What are you putting on the end of it?
Getting there...

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #794 on: 24 April, 2017, 04:04:36 pm »
Mull was great, but I have decided I do need a rain cover for the camera and lens. So that is on it's way.

Here is the lens in action. It is as heavy as it looks.
DSC_4675 (2) by David Martin, on Flickr

I looked for you... you were over there somewhere (Looking west from Ledaig).

David Martin

« Reply #795 on: 24 April, 2017, 10:11:39 pm »
See that shower of rain? That's where I was..

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #796 on: 28 April, 2017, 03:39:49 pm »
That sounds like it could be a lot of fun.  What are you putting on the end of it?

An 82mm UV filter...

Oh, the other end?  My usual device, a Sony A7Rii, 42MP of goodness (not that I bought it because it was 42MP, I certainly didn't!) 

Sorry for delay, travelling all over the place and selling the home I've lived in for over 30 years makes me a bit busy...
Wombat

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #797 on: 28 April, 2017, 04:36:02 pm »
Lovely kit.  Well, not aesthetically - Sony tend to put the excellent workings together, then clag a box round them.  But it is a fantastically capable machine.

That said, have you seen the new A9? :demon:
Getting there...

David Martin

« Reply #798 on: 01 May, 2017, 05:49:24 pm »
Just clicked the button on a remote monitor for the DSLR, just a cheap one but it will be useful as I am doing more  video and find follow focus on the screen rather hard.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LNNVNN0 is the baby. Should improve the macro work.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #799 on: 01 May, 2017, 07:04:16 pm »
Just clicked the button on a remote monitor for the DSLR, just a cheap one but it will be useful as I am doing more  video and find follow focus on the screen rather hard.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LNNVNN0 is the baby. Should improve the macro work.

Just bought one for my son's video work ...good call.  I have some basic, but sound, Neewer flash gear.

Neewer stuff allows amateurs to do semi-pro level work at a fraction of the price of pro gear.