Author Topic: Time for a new camera...  (Read 3088 times)

Time for a new camera...
« on: 02 April, 2016, 02:01:43 pm »
Having sold my trusty but slightly faulty Nikon D50 on ebay for a whole £40, I need something to replace it. And with it being annual salary day last Thursday I can afford one.

Choices, choices. My first thought was the D7200. Or even D610. Then I read Ken Rockwell's pages and he claims I'll be just as happy with the D3200. Or even a Fuji X100T.

So, what are they like? Is the D7200 much better? I tend to use a 50mm f1.8 most of the time, would the 22mm on the Fuji be limiting, or liberating? I might be more likely to take it travelling rather than rely on the iPhone camera. What about the differences between the X100/S/T, the original X100 can be had for around £250, but is it old tech? All and any opinions welcome.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: Time for a new camera...
« Reply #1 on: 02 April, 2016, 05:34:45 pm »
I've just got at D7100 and think it is great - the D7200 will be even better.
If you liked the D50 then I would expect you to like the D7200. D610 requires a step up in your lenses to full frame.

I have use of a D610 as well - the difference between the D610 and the D7100 is minimal apart from Dx vs Fx. All the controls are in the same place. Iso performance is about the same. Price is a bit difference and the ability to use my existing Dx lenses.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #2 on: 03 April, 2016, 10:31:24 am »
The X100 series are quite different to an slr and you would need to be happy that you could live with just the single, widish field of view. Quite different from the short telephoto view from a 50 on APS-C sensor. I quite like the approach, but it doesn't suit everyone.  You trade the ability to do anything for simplicity and an enforced focus on the art of the possible.

In terms of the series, I've never owned one, but I tried the first and found it frustrating operationally. I believe the X100T addresses the issues and delivers what everyone wanted. More expensive though.

Ultimately it will be a choice between portability and flexibility, or between single focal length focus and flexibility.

Mike

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3 on: 03 April, 2016, 03:14:21 pm »
Even if you use one lens predominantly on an SLR, the possibility of changing will still be there when you need it. The X100 won't let you do this unless you go in for conversion lenses, and not only are these a clunky solution but go rather against the spirit of the beast.  I'm fond of mine, but for general photography an SLR or mirrorless will offer more flexibility.

The X100 is fast, quiet and unobtrusive, though - great for sneaky street 'togs.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: 07 April, 2016, 10:14:16 am »
I have an x100s and if I could only own one camera, this would be the one I keep.   Here's why: focal lengths don't actually matter that much.  People think that they can't shoot a portrait with a wide lens or they can't shoot street with an eighty five.  It's rubbish - you work with what you have and it frees you to stop worrying about gear.

I fucking LOVE my fuji because it's a cracking lens in front of a sensor that gives me great quality files, all wrapped up in a body that now I've gaffer taped it up, looks like nothing at all.  Nobody looks at it and nobody's intimidated by it.  Also, it's small - so small that it's always in my bag, wherever I go.  DSLRs, even crop frame ones are fucking huge and you won't carry it with you unless you're actually out to make a photograph.  When you're carrying a DSLR, you'll also want to carry the other random shit that comes with one.  Extra lenses, maybe a flashgun, a tripod, whatever.  Then you're weighed down with CRAP. 

Get a Fuji (or something like it) and stop letting your camera get in the way of making photographs.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #5 on: 07 April, 2016, 01:17:31 pm »
I have an x100s and if I could only own one camera, this would be the one I keep.  [...] you work with what you have and it frees you to stop worrying about gear.

I hadn't thought of this before, but it's just dawned on me:  it's a bit like riding fixed, kind of, innit.  Simplifies the whole experience, distils it down to its essence.  The lack of gear(s) might seem daunting at the outset but, once you get on and JFDI, all that superfluous flim-flam is forgotten and you realise that you can do without it.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6 on: 07 April, 2016, 01:37:58 pm »
I did one pleasant week in Denmark with a Leica IIIf, a 50mm, a Weston Master meter and a couple of rolls of K25.  That was fun.

Same week as Chernobyl, it was.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #7 on: 07 April, 2016, 06:53:42 pm »
I have an x100s and if I could only own one camera, this would be the one I keep.  [...] you work with what you have and it frees you to stop worrying about gear.

I hadn't thought of this before, but it's just dawned on me:  it's a bit like riding fixed

No.

It's like riding Single-Speed.

If it were like riding Fixed then the Camera would attempt to tear your legs off and throw you in a hedge if you got the exposure wrong.

Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #8 on: 07 April, 2016, 09:31:10 pm »
If
* You want to use Nikon's proprietary studio flash system
* You often shoot sports or wildlife that needs fast and clever focus tracking
* You have a collection of ancient manual focus Nikon lenses that you want to put on your fancy new camera body
* Are happy with a larger and heavier camera body to provide all that
Then get a Nikon D7XXX body. Otherwise, the D3XXX is fine. Although, personally, I'd consider the D5300, to get the flippy floppy rear touchscreen.

If
* You really can't live without the control over depth of focus that a large sensor camera gives you
* Don't mind lugging a big chunky camera body
* You are willing to pay lots for that
Then get a D610 or D750

If you can live with one lens and are comfortable with a rangefinder-like or electronic viewfinder, then yeah, an X100/S/T is a great choice.

If you really want to travel light, the latest generation of 1" sensor cameras from the likes of Sony, Canon and Nikon are very impressive if you're willing to give up significant depth of field control.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #9 on: 07 April, 2016, 10:32:03 pm »
I tried the D3/5xxx and found them too small to be comfortable. The D7100 and D610 are pretty much the same size and layout. The difference between them is FX v DX.

For what I do (which isn't much) the flexibility of the DSLR (and my 10-24 lens) is great. Other's mileage may vary. I do use other cameras too.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #10 on: 09 April, 2016, 05:49:23 pm »
By way of contrast, in spite of having and having used several systems, I seem to usually end up with jusy a 50 equivalent (in 35mm terms). There isn't much I don't try with it:)

« Reply #11 on: 09 April, 2016, 06:35:53 pm »
Thanks for all the replies, it's been very helpful.

I thought I'd get an X100 off ebay, see how I got on with it & resell for the same price if not. Then this week the price of them shot right up! Bah!

My lenses are suitable for full frame as well as digital, though they're not (all) ancient! What I want is decent sharpness & resolution so the above is useful, a full frame sensor doesn't seem to give a huge advantage. Obviously bigger is better with film (my other camera is a Mamiya C330), not so much the case with current digital.

So... to get to the point... I've just blown the budget and got a Fuji and it's absolutely flipping amazing. I just love taking pictures with it. It feels like a real camera, and takes pictures like one. :D  Not only that, but one of the shallots just walked in and said "you've got a Leica", so I've saved about 2 grand there  ::-)

« Reply #12 on: 09 April, 2016, 06:39:09 pm »
By way of contrast, in spite of having and having used several systems, I seem to usually end up with jusy a 50 equivalent (in 35mm terms). There isn't much I don't try with it:)

There are good reasons, grounded in actual science, why 50mm is the "standard" lens on 35mm frame (or 80mm on 120, etc).

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13 on: 10 April, 2016, 08:24:56 am »
Well, as I remember 42mm is closer to a true representation of what the eye can see, and Barnack used a 50 because Leitz had a surplus of them when he built his first models. 23 x 1.5 = 34.5, which is actually closer to 42 than is 50 so you're winning.

Anyway, congrats on the purchase.  BTW, when Fuji brought out the X100s they also released new firmware for the plain X100 which brought it up to almost the same level as the S - DP Review remarked at the time on how generous this was.  This is the current one.

My lenses are suitable for full frame as well as digital, though they're not (all) ancient!

Maybe flog 'em on eBay, then, and cover the cost of the X100?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #14 on: 11 April, 2016, 11:32:57 am »
42 is the closest to 'normal'  Coincidentally, the lens on my 35SP is a 42/1.7 :D  And my XA is a 40/2.8, as is my Trip35.

I used to prefer 35mm or equiv for most purposes - partly because the 'wides' for the Kiev, OM and Zorki were 35mm, and the fixed lens on the Minox is also 35mm.

The X100 is a great camera if you are happy to work with a single prime.
Getting there...