Author Topic: OSM layers - links for UK maps ?  (Read 1317 times)

OSM layers - links for UK maps ?
« on: 07 August, 2010, 06:44:33 am »
OSM layers - links ?. Ive used transparent 20 m contours (from gpsmaps.de),  I think some SMC are 10m - are 5 m available ?. Is there a tracks/path layer I could add to City Navigator (in areas where OSM is incomplete)...

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: OSM layers - links for UK maps ?
« Reply #1 on: 18 August, 2010, 11:54:04 am »
SMC are indeed 10m, and are here: SMC Contour maps - Installation Guide

You can get custom contour sets using GroundTruth: GroundTruth - OpenStreetMap Wiki - they use the same DEM, the Shuttle one.  You can specify your intervals IIRC.

(my to-do list has had "get new contours for uk using this" on it for ages...)

I don't know a tracks-only layer.  To make one yourself you'd edit the mkgmap style-file to ignore highway=most things, by just deleting those lines, and ignore all POI and areas with empty files. 

Personally, I'd keep the munkymap handy and swap when you wanted the stregth of either it or navigator, but I would say that, wouldn't I?  :D
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Re: OSM layers - links for UK maps ?
« Reply #2 on: 16 October, 2010, 02:29:55 am »
just found ASTER GDEM UK and Ireland v1.02 | Maps of Malaysia - Aster GDEM 10m for UK - at  248 mb its a lot bigger than SMC - any good or oversampled ?. Im not in UK at the moment so cant compare the 2 on the ground but the author has done great maps for Thailand which were far better (more accurate, clearer, not jagged) than SRTM contours on mapcenter