Author Topic: Dunwich Dynamo, 4th/5th July 2020  (Read 13540 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Dunwich Dynamo, 4th/5th July 2020
« on: 15 July, 2019, 06:18:33 pm »
The early July ones are the best.

Who knows? If I can lose another 3 or 4 stones and buy a lightweight road bike, I might try racing Rogerzilla to breakfast!  ;D

Or I might just quietly retire: this year's was my 10th since breaking my duck in 2008.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
Re: Dunwich Dynamo, 4th/5th July 2020
« Reply #1 on: 15 July, 2019, 06:52:29 pm »
I will definitely do the 2020 one. And the return leg! Unless it's wet out.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 15 July, 2019, 07:36:47 pm »
Fuck the Dunwich Dynamo.

(Attitude may have improved by next year, so hopefully this post will serve as a reminder.)

« Reply #3 on: 15 July, 2019, 07:44:10 pm »
Fuck the Dunwich Dynamo.

(Attitude may have improved by next year, so hopefully this post will serve as a reminder.)
That's the spirit!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #4 on: 16 July, 2019, 09:52:36 am »
Is 4/5 July confirmed, or proposed? I'm sure I sure a later date suggested somewhere. Never done the DD, so would be keen to see what all the fun/fuss is about.
Turn, turn, turn again
Turn, turn to the rain
And the wind

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #5 on: 16 July, 2019, 10:11:41 am »
July 2020's full moon is on 5th. That's the Sunday. On the basis that the DD is always run on the Saturday/Sunday nearest to the full moon, then that's the date. If it's a clear night, it will be magnificent.

essexian

« Reply #6 on: 16 July, 2019, 10:25:13 am »
Hummmm....its about time I joined "Team Slow" and did this.  ;D

The only problem is is that I have never done an overnight ride, am rubbish after midnight and have never cycled more than 75 miles in one go and that was in 1984!  :facepalm:

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #7 on: 16 July, 2019, 02:55:39 pm »
You are clearly a prime candidate then!

« Reply #8 on: 16 July, 2019, 05:41:32 pm »
Is 4/5 July confirmed, or proposed? I'm sure I sure a later date suggested somewhere. Never done the DD, so would be keen to see what all the fun/fuss is about.
https://www.londonschoolofcycling.co.uk/content.php?id=18  says so:
Dunwich Dynamo XXIIX
4 - 5 July 2020

I have fullest confidence in the arabic numerals on that page.

« Reply #9 on: 16 July, 2019, 06:00:31 pm »
https://www.londonschoolofcycling.co.uk/content.php?id=18  says so:
Dunwich Dynamo XXIIX
4 - 5 July 2020

I have fullest confidence in the arabic numerals on that page.
The Roman ones, not so much....

essexian

« Reply #10 on: 17 July, 2019, 08:04:15 am »
You are clearly a prime candidate then!

Hummmm.... is it acceptable to ride as far as Sudbury, have four hours sleep and do the rest in the morning after several nice cups of tea?  ;D

Well its in my diary so I'll have to think about it now....*

*It will be interesting cycling along Lea Bridge Road as that used to be my route into the City when I cycle to work in the early 1980's. I don't suppose it's changed much....

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #11 on: 17 July, 2019, 10:19:35 am »
The Lea Bridge Road now has a segregated cycle lane almost entirely along the northern side. It is still being constructed in places and has the added excitement of left-turning vehicles taking you out at junctions, but it is there.

« Reply #12 on: 05 August, 2019, 08:17:00 am »
I'm probably up for it. Not quite sated with the Dun Run yet.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #13 on: 06 August, 2019, 06:43:36 pm »
I'm up for it.  It was a blast this year, although I was expecting it to be really hard after 7 years away.  That cycle path really sucks, though, and just gives motons an excuse to push you off the road.  It'll be nicely glassed by next year.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #14 on: 14 August, 2019, 09:14:44 pm »
I'm hoping to do this on some kind of tandem - we'll see!

rogerzilla

« Reply #15 on: 03 October, 2019, 06:23:07 pm »
I've paid my deposit for a coach trip there (to Hackney) and back.

« Reply #16 on: 26 October, 2019, 11:55:01 am »
Have never done it even though its always been on my "To Do" list. 

Was planning on doing the Etape du Tour from Nice next year (same date) but this would certainly be cheaper I guess!

« Reply #17 on: 26 October, 2019, 12:51:42 pm »
Have never done it even though its always been on my "To Do" list. 

Was planning on doing the Etape du Tour from Nice next year (same date) but this would certainly be cheaper I guess!
You should do it.
It's an evolving ride.
The half-way stop, and legendary way-finding night-lights in jam-jars no longer exist.
But the number of pop-up food stops has increased exponentially, some offering places where you can get your head down, or have a sports massage, in addition to a bacon sarnie.
Southwark Cyclists continue to organise the return coaches / pantechnicons to get you and your bike back to London.
But I believe the administration is now farmed out to a 3rd party events organisation.
The number of participants has increased at least four-fold from when I did my first one (2007, the wet one).

I've said it before, but it was reading the late Barry Mason's FAQs of the DD, that persuaded me to take up cycling again, specifically, to do the DD.

« Reply #18 on: 26 October, 2019, 06:48:10 pm »
The jam jars are now electrical tea lights and much more subtle.

(and much less sustainable...)

rogerzilla

« Reply #19 on: 29 December, 2019, 07:37:26 pm »
Is anyone in That London up for piloting me to Epping Forest on an alternative route?  I'm not sure I can face that psyclepath again.

« Reply #20 on: 29 December, 2019, 08:58:00 pm »
Is anyone in That London up for piloting me to Epping Forest on an alternative route?  I'm not sure I can face that psyclepath again.

ISTR there was a discussion in a previous Dun Run thread about alternative routes, though that might have been with the intent of not joining the official route until after Epping Forest, in order to avoid the n00bs with all the road sense of an methed-up squirrel and bike club pelotons brushing one's elbow at Ludicrous Speed...

ETA - Having had a truffle through the Rides and Touring board, it's probably the the 2013 thread:

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=60972.msg1263531#msg1263531
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #21 on: 29 December, 2019, 10:45:21 pm »
My recollection from Mike, not seen in this parish, sadly, for far too long, is that the Central Line takes bikes as long as you get on not in the centre of London. I have to say that I don't know the details but Epping is the terminus for the Central Line.

Just checked: Leyton to Epping. This option would make the Dun Run almost entirely lovely.

https://www.londonbicycle.com/more/bikes-public-transport refers.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #22 on: 29 December, 2019, 11:06:01 pm »
it's not compulsory to use that cycle path. every time i go that way (last time was today) i ride on the road which is my preference. the cycle path has advantages in several places where it bypasses traffic lights.

« Reply #23 on: 29 December, 2019, 11:55:28 pm »
Alternatively, you can go a short distance along the Lea Bridge Road cycle path.

Around 500m after the ice rink, before you've crossed the bridge, turn left along a traffic free path which takes you across Walthamstow Marshes. At the end take a right into Coppermill Lane (again traffic free).
Less than a mile later take a left into James Road.
Follow this to the end and then do a dog-leg outside Blackhorse Road Tube into Forest Road.
Follow Forest Road to the end whereupon you turn left.
You'll find yourself at the roundabout just before the end-of-civilisation Shell Garage, having missed the bulk of the crap in Leytonstone & Walthamstow.

What I've described is part of my daily commute.
The one caveat is, that if you are doing it after dark, be sure that there are two or more of you for the Marshes section.
The chances are, at that time of year, that it'll still be daylight when you are there

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #24 on: 30 December, 2019, 08:36:29 am »
My recollection from Mike, not seen in this parish, sadly, for far too long, is that the Central Line takes bikes as long as you get on not in the centre of London. I have to say that I don't know the details but Epping is the terminus for the Central Line.

Just checked: Leyton to Epping. This option would make the Dun Run almost entirely lovely.

https://www.londonbicycle.com/more/bikes-public-transport refers.

Yep - rule of thumb is that outside rush hours you can take a bike on the London underground if it's "uncovered" (i.e. not in a tube) - in days of yore the Central Line ran right out to Ongar - it was a shuttle requiring a change at Epping and stopping at North Weald and Blake Hall (I believe that's it now a heritage line?)

Out of curiosity how many miles would the train ride cut off? [I can't find the gpx files I have]

Rob

Rob