Author Topic: A random thread for sport things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 127681 times)

Controversy in Pembrokeshire Division One Cricket League.

It just so happened that the teams in first and second place in the league table played each other on the last day of the season.
It's important to know that in this division there are 20 points for the win, a bowling point for every two wickets taken and a batting point for every 40 runs (to a max of 5)

Carew began the day 21 points ahead of local rivals Cresselly.

Carew went into bat first but then declared on 18 for 1 after 15 balls, thus throwing the match but denying Cresselly any chance of bonus points.

Carew win the league by one point.  Cresselly not happy. Much discussion in my local.

What do you think?  A sensible and logical tactic?  Or JUST NOT CRICKET?

PCCC have decided that it was just not cricket.

Carew Cricket Club relegated after 'unfair' win over title rivals

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Controversy in Pembrokeshire Division One Cricket League.

It just so happened that the teams in first and second place in the league table played each other on the last day of the season.
It's important to know that in this division there are 20 points for the win, a bowling point for every two wickets taken and a batting point for every 40 runs (to a max of 5)

Carew began the day 21 points ahead of local rivals Cresselly.

Carew went into bat first but then declared on 18 for 1 after 15 balls, thus throwing the match but denying Cresselly any chance of bonus points.

Carew win the league by one point.  Cresselly not happy. Much discussion in my local.

What do you think?  A sensible and logical tactic?  Or JUST NOT CRICKET?

PCCC have decided that it was just not cricket.

Carew Cricket Club relegated after 'unfair' win over title rivals

Well, I think that is rather harsh.  I was originally in the "Just Not Cricket" camp, but the club were playing within the rules.  Technically they won through clever tactics, regardless of the fact that many, including myself, were not happy about it.
Officials said Carew did not technically break any rules, but the complaints led to the creation of a four-man disciplinary committee which looked into the team's actions.

It decided to relegate Carew to Division Two but allowed them to remain as champions.

The team's captain has also been told he is banned from starting the 2018 season, and the club was also fined £300.

Those sanctions are totally disproportionate. 
Perhaps a 'fine' of 10 points for 'unsportsmanlike behavior' would have been better?  But relegation, fine and a player ban is really going to hurt a small local village team.

I say again that Cresselly were fools themselves when having won the toss, they put Carew in to bat when it should have been obvious what could happen.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
It might be just not cricket but if it's within the rules then it's the rules that need to change.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Marty Feldman would have loved this  :D classic
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41728826
Garry Broad

Thanks!

Yesterday, went to the Paris Masters ATP mainly to see Nadal take on promising upstart Krajinović but disappointingly Rafa pulled out w/knee problem. Isner v Del Potro was a terrific match. Titans on court with Isner at 6'10 and Del Potro a measly 6'6. Serves were mostly in the 225km/h range, and many aces. Both played really well and could have gone either way; but Isner was in great form and won the day. Doubles match with Jamie Murray/Soares v Hubert/Mahut was exciting and close. Tennis takes on new excitement when les bleaus are in front of the home crowd. But Jamie/Soares pulled it off and everyone went 'pfff' and left.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Yesterday, in League 2, 9 of the 11 fixtures included a club whose name began with the letter C - in one case, the second word of the club name. No "C" club played another.

How many times a season does that happen?  ;)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Shock horror!

Italy has failed to qualify for the World Cup!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
The perfect job for someone
 https://www.indeed.co.uk/cmp/Blue-Penguin-SEO/jobs/Sport-Banter-Expert-32752dcec31d0a3a?q=part+time

If you're interested in this role please email in with your CV and your funniest joke

Anyone got an outrageous CV to hand? I'm sure we can find an appaling joke in https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=403.0

This company may get deluged with "funny" stuff :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Congratulations to Sunderland who, I am reliably informed by lifelong supporter My Mate Terry Who Art In Sibton and whose house I am currently in, have today broken an all time Football League record by failing to win at home in 20 matches.

Correction: this seems to be a record covering all competitions, not just the League.

http://www.sportbible.com/football/fails-sunderland-break-record-for-the-longest-home-winless-streak-20171118 refers.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
The official poster for the Russian world cup 2018 has been launched and it's actually rather good.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Bah!  I'll make all of you American football fans feel great with only a few keystrokes:  I'm a Browns fan, born and bred.  :facepalm:

I don't follow the sport any more but I just checked the standings... Crumbs!

If you're bored, take a look at how many quarterbacks we've burned through in the last few years.

Just in case anyone missed it, the Cleveland Browns managed a perfect season: 0-16!  There's even a Perfect Season Parade taking place today.   ;D

ETA: parade report.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Are there any Everton fans round these parts? I'd be interested to know your thoughts on your current manager.

Personally, I can't stand "Big" Sam. A hugely overrated manager who never seems to get any enjoyment out of football, every time I hear him being interviewed he seems to be moaning about something - and always blaming others for their faults while refusing to recognise his own shortcomings as a manager. What's more, he comes across as a pretty awful person too, and that Panorama expose of his corruption didn't do him any favours either.

If you look at his track record, his main strengths as a manager appear to be bringing up teams from lower divisions and avoiding relegation. Everton fit neither situation. They're a once great club with a tradition of playing entertaining football. They're not in danger of relegation, and the best they can hope to achieve under Allardyce is maintaining their current mid-table obscurity. For which he will no doubt blame someone else.

I don't know why I'm so angry about this - I'm not an Everton fan myself, I just can't stand that man and can't fathom how he still manages to find employment in the top tier of domestic football.

Everton fans must look at what's going on across the park and weep. I don't think you could find two more contrasting management styles than Allardyce and Klopp. Can anyone imagine an Allardyce side ever being involved in a game like that between Liverpool and City yesterday?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

LFC fan, which obviously means I have an opinion. ;)
Everton appointed "Big Sam" because they were worried about getting sucked into a relegation battle (they were 17th? when he joined), and because they couldn't get hold of their first few choices. They won a few games after he was appointed, and given the state of the table that meant they shot up from near relegation to somewhere around 9th. After getting knocked out of the FA cup they have nothing left to play for, and the Everton match going fan is going to have to watch another 15 games of that rubbish! I can't see them keeping him in the summer if they can get someone good.

Their "tradition" of playing football is somewhat overstated though - Koeman played dire football, and they had Moyes for 10 years prior to Martinez. Part of the problem is that they need to tear up the squad - with the exception of a couple of youngsters they are the best walking football team in the world!

citoyen

LFC fan, which obviously means I have an opinion. ;)

Same here. ;)

I just remember the glory days of the 80s when Merseyside basically had the two best teams in Europe. And I genuinely feel sorry for the current state Everton find themselves in.

You're right that their situation is the result of many years of poor management, and not Allardyce's fault, but I really don't think he's the man to turn it around for them and hiring him was a backward, negative step. Despite their league position when he took over, I don't think they were in real danger of relegation - the margins are so tight down there than it only takes one or two good results for a side to shoot up the table.

I'm under no illusions about Liverpool's situation either though - Klopp is a wonderful manager, I just adore his infectious enthusiasm for the game, and as an attacking force, his side is incredible, but they haven't had a decent keeper or back four for years and they'll never return to truly competing with the best sides in Europe (or even in the Premier League) until they sort that out.

You say that the keeper is an issue but if Mignolet is the problem then Karius isn't the answer. Maybe Ward is? In any case Liverpool players seem to be held to a higher standard than those of other teams. Man City's Ederson is considered a top keeper but if Mignolet or Karius had made the error that led to the fourth Liverpool goal people would be advocating that they be be strung up from a lamp post.

As for Everton, as another LFC fan I'm sad to see their decline.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
It's a good thing for Worcester Valkyries that there is no relegation yet from the Tyrrells Premier 15s (women's rugby, for those not in the know); Saracens Women 105, Worcester Valkyries 0.

They were better than in the first match-up at Worcester, but with a young & inexperienced team against Sarries' many internationals it's a problem. They kept battling, though; keep your heads up, Worcester.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper

I just remember the glory days of the 80s when Merseyside basically had the two best teams in Europe.

Blimey! I never knew Tranmere were that good.

citoyen

I just remember the glory days of the 80s when Merseyside basically had the two best teams in Europe.

Blimey! I never knew Tranmere were that good.

My chemistry teacher, a purebred scouser, often told us that the three best football teams in the world were Liverpool, Everton and Tranmere, but not necessarily in that order.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Strange little incident at a PSG/whoever match when a player accidentally collided with the ref, who then tried to take him down, failed, and gave him a yellow card instead. Ref suspended.

Funny buggers these footballers.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

My chemistry teacher, a purebred scouser, often told us that the three best football teams in the world were Liverpool, Everton and Tranmere, but not necessarily in that order.

Be that as it may, the best two football sides on Merseyside were Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
I have just been watching this:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er_gMbQqjyE

Pretty rubbish recording of a wonderful day's cricket (I was there - £4.50 for a ticket to a Lord's final...). The funniest bit is Keith Fletcher being awarded the trophy. He doesn't realise that there's a plinth and a lid to the cup and they both disappear somewhere in his excitement.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
A question for our Lancastrian brethren: am I right in thinking that to refer to a team as "The Latics" is a big pile of nonsense, especially when it's Wigan?

mcshroom

• Mushroom
A question for our Lancastrian brethren: am I right in thinking that to refer to a team as "The Latics" is a big pile of nonsense, especially when it's Wigan?

Wikipedia would disagree: -

Full name:   Wigan Athletic Football Club
Nickname(s):   The Latics, The Tics
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wigan_Athletic_F.C.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!