Author Topic: Poor Student, 07/01/2017  (Read 35093 times)

Re: Poor Student, 07/01/2017
« Reply #75 on: 03 January, 2017, 10:00:38 pm »
Does anyone have any experience of how pissy GWR will be about bikes getting from Paddington to Oxford on Saturday morning. All the trains we've looked at say we can't reserve a bike space.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #76 on: 03 January, 2017, 10:45:54 pm »
Does anyone have any experience of how pissy GWR will be about bikes getting from Paddington to Oxford on Saturday morning. All the trains we've looked at say we can't reserve a bike space.

See above (or below, if you have the board set up that way). I raised the same question and was recommended to try Chiltern from Marylebone to Oxford Parkway. I think the train is at about 6.30, allowing plenty of time for a leisurely ride to the start.  From what I recall in past years, GWR hasn't been a problem at that time of the morning but may be more sniffy in the evening.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

EMnut

• 30 inches and lower
« Reply #77 on: 04 January, 2017, 09:05:49 am »
I've taken my bike on the GWR stopper service that runs between London and Oxford quite a bit this year. In my experience all the GWR staff have been great, and seemed very happy to help me with my bike. My top tip is bring a bungee cord to secure your bike, as you leave them leaning on the carriage exit next to the doorway and they tend to fall over with being secured. The road layout near Oxford station is shared space, so feels a bit odd, but should be quiet early on saturday.

« Reply #78 on: 04 January, 2017, 10:23:08 am »
GWR cycle reservation has now become so inefficient that many people don't bother anymore. Official policy is now that unreserved bicycles may be carried if there is space, however they don't publicise this and their staff may not know it either. The overall effect is that the number of bikes on the train has plummeted (which is probably what GWR wanted). I don't use Paddington so can't comment about it, but at Reading I have never had a problem getting my bike on a train (and I use the train every day). So just turn up at the station and you should be OK (if you are questioned, just say you had a reservation on the earlier train and missed it).

« Reply #79 on: 04 January, 2017, 02:18:44 pm »
This might be the first time I ride this event in non-crap weather!!

In reply to above I always use the garden centre in Malmesbury (https://goo.gl/maps/HFHPmQjAEXr). The Summer café is too small and too busy and the garden centre does a fab all day breakfast :)

PS if you want to avoid the B4044 from Farmoor and the short stretch on the A420 dual carriageway at the very end when it's likely to be dark there's a handy 'shortcut' via Cumnor Hill and a cycle track immediately before the A34 overbridge in Botley which takes you to the Botley Interchange roundabout which has a cycle route across it to the track to Wytham. See...

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/18358698

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #80 on: 04 January, 2017, 02:49:17 pm »
Being increasingly long-sighted but too stingy to buy a Garmin, I shall be reformatting Pat's route sheet in large (16-18pt) type in a Word file ahead of the event.  Subject to the usual caveats about errors, if you'd like a copy please DM me.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #81 on: 04 January, 2017, 03:22:03 pm »

In reply to above I always use the garden centre in Malmesbury (https://goo.gl/maps/HFHPmQjAEXr). The Summer café is too small and too busy and the garden centre does a fab all day breakfast :)

PS if you want to avoid the B4044 from Farmoor and the short stretch on the A420 dual carriageway at the very end when it's likely to be dark there's a handy 'shortcut' via Cumnor Hill and a cycle track immediately before the A34 overbridge in Botley which takes you to the Botley Interchange roundabout which has a cycle route across it to the track to Wytham. See...

Top route tip John  :thumbsup:

That garden centre is really good, breakfast-wise - but I haven't tried going there in the afternoon. It's at 125km, so that will be tight for a lot of us if they stop hot food at 2 or 3pm.

I might try stopping at Cirencester for "proper lunch" this year (it's halfway, but with all the big climbing done) and bounce everywhere else (with Shrivenham & Stanford-ITV as backups if flagging late on!). Waitrose café is en-route as you leave the town centre I think, haven't found anywhere else better for audax porpoises.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #82 on: 04 January, 2017, 03:38:33 pm »
1) Not going via Farmoor/Wytham this year...

2) Waitrose is now v. slightly off-route; please read notes re Cirencester...
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #83 on: 04 January, 2017, 04:29:01 pm »
please read notes re Cirencester...

After your last email about this, I looked on Google Street View to get a better understanding. As far as I can see, the signs at the end of Cricklade Street only ban motor vehicles - nothing about bikes. Are the Street View pictures out of date? I'd be most peeved if I got a ticket for riding a bike down there.

I will probably play it safe and stick to the suggested route anyway - it's not like it adds much extra distance.

This may become a moot point anyway given reluctance of lingering chest lurgy to do one. (Will let you know if I do withdraw but I am keen to at least start this one.)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Phil W

« Reply #84 on: 04 January, 2017, 04:48:35 pm »

Be away with your curses

« Reply #85 on: 04 January, 2017, 04:48:49 pm »

The routesheet on https://sites.google.com/site/idduaudaxing/home/ps200 is...

« Reply #86 on: 04 January, 2017, 04:51:17 pm »

Top route tip John  :thumbsup:

That garden centre is really good, breakfast-wise - but I haven't tried going there in the afternoon. It's at 125km, so that will be tight for a lot of us if they stop hot food at 2 or 3pm.

I might try stopping at Cirencester for "proper lunch" this year (it's halfway, but with all the big climbing done) and bounce everywhere else (with Shrivenham & Stanford-ITV as backups if flagging late on!). Waitrose café is en-route as you leave the town centre I think, haven't found anywhere else better for audax porpoises.

Breakfast was served until 3.30pm last time I was there. Note that the garden centre is now accessed from a new roundabout which confused me recently!! Their website claims...

"Our café serves a “Choose Your Own Breakfast” and a “Hangover Breakfast”, hugely popular with our customers and served from 9am to 3pm, Monday to Saturday."

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #87 on: 05 January, 2017, 12:06:23 am »

Indeed.  But that's not the directional instructions et al that has been sent to entrants...

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #88 on: 05 January, 2017, 12:20:30 am »
please read notes re Cirencester...

After your last email about this, I looked on Google Street View to get a better understanding. As far as I can see, the signs at the end of Cricklade Street only ban motor vehicles - nothing about bikes. Are the Street View pictures out of date? I'd be most peeved if I got a ticket for riding a bike down there.

I will probably play it safe and stick to the suggested route anyway - it's not like it adds much extra distance.

This may become a moot point anyway given reluctance of lingering chest lurgy to do one. (Will let you know if I do withdraw but I am keen to at least start this one.)

http://cirencester.gov.uk/new-blog/2015/12/1/town-centre-regeneration-project, Nov 2016 update.

Discussions elsewhere exist concerning (i) the complete dogs dinner they've made of the signage, and (ii) intimating the TRO(*) for Cricklade Street does make it pedestrian only during stated hours, with the exclusions list including cycling

(*) Haven't tracked it down yet for definitive answer, but it's not worth (giving y'all) the hassle - just go around...

« Reply #89 on: 05 January, 2017, 09:20:37 am »

Indeed.  But that's not the directional instructions et al that has been sent to entrants...

Yes. Found that now. I had made the naive assumption the route was the same as 2015  ;D

citoyen

« Reply #90 on: 05 January, 2017, 10:06:25 am »
Discussions elsewhere exist concerning (i) the complete dogs dinner they've made of the signage, and (ii) intimating the TRO(*) for Cricklade Street does make it pedestrian only during stated hours, with the exclusions list including cycling

(*) Haven't tracked it down yet for definitive answer, but it's not worth (giving y'all) the hassle - just go around...

Thanks for the clarification. Sounds like standard local govt fuckwittery. Canterbury city centre has a similar arrangement but they've managed to get the signage right to make it clear where cycling is and isn't permitted. And if the thoroughly incompetent and corrupt Canterbury council can manage it, no one else has an excuse.

I'll be a good boy and go round the long way.

Yellow Giant

• Or call me Ian
« Reply #91 on: 05 January, 2017, 10:49:20 am »

Breakfast was served until 3.30pm last time I was there. Note that the garden centre is now accessed from a new roundabout which confused me recently!! Their website claims...

"Our café serves a “Choose Your Own Breakfast” and a “Hangover Breakfast”, hugely popular with our customers and served from 9am to 3pm, Monday to Saturday."

If late for the all day breakfast, appears cooked food still available until 4.30!

"Our garden café is open:  Monday to Saturday: 9am to 4:30 cooking times apply"

If all rides could be gentle pedalling downhill with the wind behind rather than puffing uphill with a windy behind.

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #92 on: 05 January, 2017, 12:23:09 pm »
As the car park has a height restriction, can anyone offer any advice for parking a large campervan, overnight from Friday. thanks.

« Reply #93 on: 05 January, 2017, 12:53:02 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion for eating at the garden centre in Malmesbury.
Does anyone have a preferred cafe in Chipping Campden?

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

LFCC

citoyen

« Reply #94 on: 05 January, 2017, 01:06:11 pm »
The Bantam Tea Rooms is the classic audax cafe in Chipping Campden - you can't miss it, it's on the High Street. Also there will probably be several bikes outside when you get there.

When I did the Dean 300, I was in need of a proper meal and a sit down by the time I got to Malmesbury so I had dinner at a pub. Can't remember what it's called but it's behind that rather ornate audax hotel in the centre of town. Google suggests it's called the Whole Hog. It was quite good, iirc, but that was a few years ago now.

Phil W

« Reply #95 on: 05 January, 2017, 01:35:10 pm »
I know the Pear Park and Ride and Services next door. Do we gather in the actual Park and Ride or at the actual services?  Do I just look for the nearest collection of bikes?

Brakeless

• Brakeless
« Reply #96 on: 05 January, 2017, 01:44:29 pm »
I know the Pear Park and Ride and Services next door. Do we gather in the actual Park and Ride or at the actual services?  Do I just look for the nearest collection of bikes?

Brevent cards have been collected from the Bus stop in the Park and ride car park for the past few years.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #97 on: 05 January, 2017, 01:47:22 pm »
have you not read the lovingly crafted email+PDF from iddu ON THIS VERY SUBJECT???

(I'm pretty sure it's in the P&R, as per previous years)

When I did the Dean 300, I was in need of a proper meal and a sit down by the time I got to Malmesbury so I had dinner at a pub. Can't remember what it's called but it's behind that rather ornate audax hotel in the centre of town. Google suggests it's called the Whole Hog. It was quite good, iirc, but that was a few years ago now.

I am ALWAYS in need of a proper meal by Malmesbury on that ride! The "Whole Hog" rings a bell - I believe SimonP dragged me in there on The Wet-n-Windy Edition (2008?). I suspect we only had coffee-n-crisps, but even that felt like life-saving medication. One of the more surreal encounters between normal folk out on a Saturday night and soaked-frazzled-Audaxen.

ANWAY: phoned the GC, they close the doors at 4:30, and hot food stops at 3pm. From the cook's mouth.
If I'm really flagging at Cirencester, it'll be the Coffee #1. Just to the right of the route, as we turn left into the marketplace.

Probably.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #98 on: 05 January, 2017, 01:51:55 pm »
Just realised that I don't have a provided SAE. Should it have come by now?

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #99 on: 05 January, 2017, 02:07:11 pm »
Just realised that I don't have a provided SAE. Should it have come by now?

Delivered by dainty hand, to accompany your brevet card...