Author Topic: Brompton main hinge slop  (Read 2368 times)

Brompton main hinge slop
« on: 25 June, 2017, 02:57:46 pm »
I have ridden my Brompton thousands of miles and recently noticed there is a tiny gap between the frame and the nylon washers on the main hinge. The gap is about the same on both sides  but if it were all on one it might be the thickness of a credit card. This does not seem to affect the ride and I would not have known it had I not looked closely. BTW, some time ago I drilled a tiny hole in the frame above the hinge spindle and routinely put a little oil in there to lube the hinge. I have a plug that I use to keep dirt from entering the hole. How big a gap is an indicator the hinge must be rebuilt?

Re: Brompton main hinge slop
« Reply #1 on: 25 June, 2017, 04:18:59 pm »
You might find this thread helpful. As you'll see there, I don't actually ride a Brompton myself, so I'm not speaking from experience. However, my strong impression is that you shouldn't be worrying primarily about movement that you can make happen when examining the bike. Rather, it's when movement becomes noticeable when riding that you need to start checking for an issue.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2 on: 25 June, 2017, 08:37:02 pm »
It's more about how much sideways slop you get at the rear dropouts than about clearance at the hinge.  If the bike rides OK, it's probably fine.  Replacing the bushes and spindle is a routine job but getting the old bolts out can be unusually difficult.  Next time I have to do it, I'm going to try an impact driver before I resort to drilling the heads.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #3 on: 26 June, 2017, 03:02:45 pm »
Rogerzilla, thanks. how much at the dropouts, 1/4 inch or less?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4 on: 26 June, 2017, 07:19:41 pm »
That's about right.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #5 on: 27 June, 2017, 12:57:28 pm »
Thanks for your help....the nearest Brompton shop to me  is at least 200 miles, if they are still in business, and your expertise is valuable. to me.