Author Topic: Beyond the Dales We Know 300km 29/04/2017  (Read 10638 times)

Re: Beyond the Dales We Know 300km 29/04/2017
« Reply #50 on: 30 April, 2017, 06:58:49 pm »
Yes, I wondered about that, too.

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #51 on: 30 April, 2017, 08:18:12 pm »
What a fantastic route Dean. As others have said, lots of car free roads, something that had crossed my mind when I tried something other than the mainly Scottish routes I have ridden to date. Wonderful views, wonderful fellow riders and the host Mike was superb! The start finish point really helped make the weekend special.

Thanks for organising and to Mike & family, for hosting us, and to the helpers on the ride and at the Arrivee.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

« Reply #52 on: 01 May, 2017, 12:32:13 pm »
Dean, that was a simply wonderful weekend; great route and a brilliant Arrivee. Many thanks to you, Mike and all involved.  :thumbsup:

Cheers, Rob - how's the road rash? (no photos, please!)

« Reply #53 on: 01 May, 2017, 12:34:20 pm »
To Dean, our host and all the friendly helpers at the control and on route.

Many thanks for a magnificent day-out. For me, it was well worth the journey up from Worcestershire.  The route was superb and I was amazed how 'main road free' it was. Plenty of spectacular scenery en-route. 

The food at the finish was very welcomed.

PS, where do I send my lactic acid?

Thanks, Phil  :thumbsup:

« Reply #54 on: 01 May, 2017, 01:01:42 pm »

Run it again next year, Dean - pleeeeeeeeeeze?

Thanks, Chris. It's tougher on your own, and everyone got back quicker than I expected! My helpers at Staindrop were underused, and they'll be having flapjack/pies/quiche for breakfast, dinner and tea for the next week.

I'd be happy to run both rides again next year, but it all depends on Mike and family, as starting and finishing there made the events. Aidan also suggested running the 300 as BRM, which means more paperwork, and a little less time on the road, but the last riders were back before half twelve, so it should be OK unless the weather's truly 'orrible, and it makes sense in a pre-PBP year. I'll also be double checking the routesheet for the last run-in, and possibly skipping the Ainderby-Warlaby shortcut.

Anyway - there were 40 starters, and only one DNF (he made the early decision to pack as he wasn't well). Special congratulations to Mr Ben for your first 300 - there was at least one other rider on their first 300, and one lad on his first audax. He says he'll be back :)

Thanks to the helpers on the day - Andy C and team at Markington (waving down random cyclists and asking if they wanted their card stamped ;D), Peter and Steve GT at Litton. I should also point out that the Boroughbridge to Ilkley route was designed by Steve GT, and works brilliantly, so cheers, Steve. And thanks to everyone else NOTP.

« Reply #55 on: 01 May, 2017, 01:14:48 pm »
Superb Ride yesterday !
For sure the traffic free route does take some beating, well sorted by Dean -  plenty of  "Big Sky" & panoramic views - the view back towards the Howgills when almost at Middleton are especially fabulous.
 I enjoyed a proper sit down cafe' dinner break ( for under a fiver ! ) just before Horton-in Ribblesdale, which was topped off nicely with steam train passing meters away & bathed in glorious sunshine.
Many thanks to all the hard working members of the welcoming, organising & catering team -  people have received OBE's for less ! 
I drove home early this morning back to Manchester with a huge grin on my face (& slightly tender knee's.)
I had an unforgettable ride, but can't help wondering who the strange fella with the harmonica was, sat outside Queens pub before opening time  :)

Cheers, Terry - you should have come and had breakfast with the rest of us!

« Reply #56 on: 01 May, 2017, 03:23:01 pm »
I would like to say a big thanks to Deano for organising such an incredible event, found all the things in life I hate, hills, especially big ones, the one between Brough to Middleton on Tees must rank as one of the worst I have ever encountered, just on the edge of just not to steep to crack and stop on and full of false summits and all you can do is keep pedalling. Deano even managed to synchronise the Cockerill in the garden to start calling out just before getting up time so no need to set your alarm, all you had to do was endure a 30 min lay in with a cockerill calling out.

Also a big thank you to the helpers, and great to see that "STRANGE MAN with the harmonica", Peter again.

Most importantly though I would like to say a big thank you to Mike and his family for their hospitality and use of there home etc to turn an audax into an unforgettable experience.

Roy labouring up the hill from Howgill Pike.

Bad hair do in Middleton on Tees. Deano's ride has ruined it for the post ride party.

Deano's speech.

Roy demonstrating how he managed to pedal up the hills in the form of dance with some dandy footwork.

The legend Bob Bialek celebrating life after loosing another of his nine lives after duck paddling with his bike across the slip road to Tebay services as a monster HGV was entering. Driver was non plussed as he waved his arms about as if he was doing a Kate Bush impersonation. And I was non impressed either after shouting a warning which was ignored.

mr ben

• Some routes may be arduous.
    • ramblings and randonees
« Reply #57 on: 01 May, 2017, 06:55:11 pm »
An awesome event!  Very many thanks to Dean for organising, to Mike and family for their hospitality, and to all the helpers; I like to think I did my bit to keep them busy at Staindrop.  How fab to be greeted by the sound of cowbells!

The highlights of the route for me - apart from finishing the bloody thing - were riding along the Howgills, and the unfenced roads over the moors, especially towards Asby Scar.  One of the things that kept me going was thinking how inaccessible these roads are; if I didn't ride them now, would I ever?

It was great to be welcomed by everyone as I'm new to longer events, I hope to see you again - at a start, if not on the road!
Think it possible that you may be mistaken.

Terry2wheelz

• terry2wheelz
« Reply #58 on: 01 May, 2017, 07:36:48 pm »

Cheers Deano -  But by 3am I'd woken up 4 times already to sort my "owd' mans bladder", so thought better to drive home than risk waking anybody else up -    Dead sorry to riders that I disturbed with constant opening & closing of van door, I really tried to be quiet :-[   

One of my favourite rides this one & god willing I'll be riding it again next time -  brilliant route & superb company.
T.
Fatter Riders Bounce Better :-) !

« Reply #59 on: 02 May, 2017, 05:54:37 am »

Cheers, Rob - how's the road rash? (no photos, please!)
[/quote]

The road rash is fine, thanks Dean - as someone has observed above "fat cyclists bounce better"...

« Reply #60 on: 02 May, 2017, 05:00:07 pm »
 Zack-I felt the same as you about hills before this event but not anymore.In one day, I collected more AAA points than in my previous umpteen years of audaxing.
 Hills =scenery and lots of it.
We really are most fortunate up here to have some of the best countryside in Britain and this ride showcases the lot.
It is easy to see why the organisers of the TDF were blown away. I was and I thought I knew Yorkshire pretty well.

Classic route+Deano's organising skills+Mike's hospitality+lots of helpers= great inaugural run. Long may it continue.

I have just viewed my GPX track .It recorded 306 kms and 3798 metres of climbing. Do Garmins tend to overestimate climbing ?
Anyone else got GPX  history from Saturday?

« Reply #61 on: 02 May, 2017, 09:36:03 pm »
Cheers, mc. I'll pass everyone's thanks on to Mike and family.

Steve Scott got just over 3000 metres (don't look at his average speed): https://www.strava.com/activities/965176121

Around 3500 seems typical: https://www.strava.com/activities/964357191

But the things are so variable, dependent on weather, phases of the moon etc, that I wouldn't worry.

« Reply #62 on: 02 May, 2017, 09:37:20 pm »
Provisional results now up!

I didn't get many photos at the start, but there are some great expressions here: