Author Topic: SON delux 12 and finding a compatible fork  (Read 1865 times)

SON delux 12 and finding a compatible fork
« on: 08 August, 2018, 08:33:19 pm »
Hi all,

I had a custom wheel built up earlier in the year to Dyno enable my Trek Domane.  The hub is a SON delux 12 and with the current fork I find the rotor perilously close to rubbing on the fork and also a need to stretch the fork widthways in order to get the hub to fit.  Not keen on this particularly with carbon.

So I'm thinking changing the fork might be the way to go.  Has anybody else got experience of forks which work with this hub that I might purchase?  Preferably carbon...

Thanks.
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: SON delux 12 and finding a compatible fork
« Reply #1 on: 08 August, 2018, 09:34:50 pm »
Easier to sell the SON (you'll get a good price) and buy something with a smaller body, like the SP PV-8.

Hiwever, if the fork needs stretching by more than a couple of mm, and it's carbon, it must be a real Friday afternoon job.  Is it still under warranty?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #2 on: 08 August, 2018, 09:39:41 pm »
Smaller rotor?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 08 August, 2018, 09:47:39 pm »
Oh, are we talking about a disc here?  I thought "rotor" was the hub shell in this case.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #4 on: 09 August, 2018, 11:45:58 am »
Sorry - yes: disc rotor.

The hub is for thru-axle.  I guess the other dirty hack is to put an ordinary fork on there and I can then use one of my other dyno wheels...

Trying to avoid another wheel build as I'm a bit tight on time with a 1200 looming in 5 weeks.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #5 on: 09 August, 2018, 12:16:44 pm »
As Roger said, if it's more tha a couple of mm to 'stretch' the fork into place there's something wrong.

'Perilously close' to touching isn't touching. If it's touching the fork will be marked. Once the wheel is locked in the front end is a reasonably rigid structure. As long as you have the right size disc you won't have a problem. If the fork is designed to run a 140 disc then that's what you should use.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #6 on: 09 August, 2018, 03:59:58 pm »
Domane can run up to 160mm front rotor (chrisbainbridge recently posted somewhere - edit: In the Trek Domane thread -  that he'd gone from 140 to 160 with a Son dyno hub). As Tors says, if it's not contacting, it's missing the fork, and isn't going to touch, especially with the rigidity of the thru' axle. Clearance is clearance after all. BUT I don't think you should have to spring the forks to fit, so maybe post on the Domane thread (in the review section) and ask others there their experience with dynohubs with this frame.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #7 on: 09 August, 2018, 04:25:57 pm »
Hub and dropout width should both be 100 mm.
It's worth measuring, if only so you know who to argue with.

Also check for any protective bits of plastic.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #9 on: 09 August, 2018, 05:33:52 pm »
Looking at that I think someone in the design office needs their things smacked!
VELOMANCER

« Reply #10 on: 10 August, 2018, 01:37:17 pm »
Well I'm building one (a Domane SL disc frameset) up at the moment, waiting for wheels from The Cycle Clinic (so not sure when I'll be getting them  :)) and have assumed thus far a 160 front disc. Will have to see, but I've a 140 rotor on hand in case (thank goodness for 365 day returns!
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #11 on: 10 August, 2018, 10:40:01 pm »
Hypothetically, what is the panel's thinking on adding a 0.5/0.75/1.0mm spacer to the LH side of the hub to increase the clearance between the rotor and fork leg?

Something like a BMW or VW sump plug washer or similar which is the same dimension as the hub cone could be superglued to the 'dropout' or fork end. I don't think it would affect wheel alignment too much and the wheel could probably be re-dished anyway...
VELOMANCER

« Reply #12 on: 15 March, 2019, 08:55:06 am »
Finally got around to looking at this again in the vein of which bike to take to PBP this year.

With a bit of measuring and noting of numbers and such, think I've worked out the issue.  Basically, I ordered the wrong hub for my wheel build, so have a SON 28 15 (110mm) rather than the delux 12 (100mm) I thought I'd ordered...

I reckon that's a spectacular enough error that nobody is likely to do the same but thought I'd post it here for completeness.

Looking at it, I'm wondering if there is potential to trim the rubber on the 28 to make it the desired width, but not sure where that is on the brave/stupid continuum.

AC

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #13 on: 15 March, 2019, 09:00:10 am »
Don't. Fix the problem properly and take the time and cost hit.

There are adaptors between 12 and 15mm axles but there isn't an option to remove 10mm width from your Son hub.
https://www.pdxti.com/products/pdxti-12mm-15mm-ta-adapter
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #14 on: 15 March, 2019, 02:07:17 pm »
I'd get a SON 28 12, rebuild the wheel using it, and sell the 28 15 hub.
The hub shell should be identical, so the spoke lengths will be correct, which they probably won't be if you go for Delux 12.

The SON 28 12 may not have been available when you originally got the 28 15.

« Reply #15 on: 15 March, 2019, 05:41:21 pm »
Finally got around to looking at this again in the vein of which bike to take to PBP this year.

With a bit of measuring and noting of numbers and such, think I've worked out the issue.  Basically, I ordered the wrong hub for my wheel build, so have a SON 28 15 (110mm) rather than the delux 12 (100mm) I thought I'd ordered...

I reckon that's a spectacular enough error that nobody is likely to do the same but thought I'd post it here for completeness.

Looking at it, I'm wondering if there is potential to trim the rubber on the 28 to make it the desired width, but not sure where that is on the brave/stupid continuum.

AC

SON28 15 comes in 2 widths, 100mm and 110mm (boost).

You cannot convert between them as the disc spacing is based off the end of the left cap, so you can only shorten the non-disc side, which does not have 10mm to spare.

Obviously the SON28 15 is for a 15mm axle as original Domanes had, so you cant use a SON28 12 (for 12mm axle).  If your bike does have a 12mm axle (current Domane) and youve been trying to fit a 110x15mm hub, hand your bike to a shop and have them do all your maintenance work in the future  ;D