Author Topic: When do YOU hang your baubles?  (Read 3439 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
When do YOU hang your baubles?
« on: 03 December, 2018, 07:53:44 am »
As ever, there will be the usual tensions in the Beardy household over when the tree will be put up and decorated. I will, as usual, target Christmas Eve as the ideal time for,the tree to go up, but will,hold,out for the weekend before as quite soon enough as a negotiation position. Dr Beardy (Mrs) would have put the tree up this weekend if she’d have got away with it. So in reality, it will probably be the weekend of the Third in Advent as a compromise.

So when do you hang yore baubles?

Ho bloody Ho.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Re: When do YOU hang your baubles?
« Reply #1 on: 03 December, 2018, 08:00:48 am »
We are always away skiing for Christmas so Fun From Trees consists of bauble dangling anytime from now onwards, a water reservoir tree holder keeps the joy from dropping as December moves on.  Collecting decorations is one of our standard holiday souvenir shopping exercises, so decoration always accompanied by fond remembrances and "where did we get this one?"

« Reply #2 on: 03 December, 2018, 08:08:56 am »
The tree will be bought next week sometime, from the local Forestry Commission outlet. It'll sit in a bucket of water outside, and be brought in when required. This year that may well be Christmas Eve. And it'll be undecorated again for 12th night.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

essexian

« Reply #3 on: 03 December, 2018, 08:45:35 am »
Never.

Trees live outside, electricity is expensive and why decorate costing £lots and then simply stick bits of tat up to ruin the look.

Bah Christmas! I dislike it very much.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4 on: 03 December, 2018, 08:47:26 am »
We usually put up our tree on Christmas Eve, and it stays up until half-past January or later.  We got sick of laying out hard-earned money for a mess in the lounge, so we bought an artificial one ~5 years ago.

The high point of embaubling is untangling the lights, whereof we have three lots. Last January I came back from a ride to find the tree gone, all done & dusted. Great were my relief & delight until the missus said "I couldn't work out how you'd put the lights on so I just pulled them all off together. They're in that bag." :facepalm:

I wish I hadn't just remembered that.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5 on: 03 December, 2018, 09:07:20 am »
Yesterday, plastic tree.

For the first time in about 5 years I was home, so got the chance to have an imput to the selection of dangly things
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6 on: 03 December, 2018, 09:24:39 am »
First weekend in Dec.  Down on New Year's Day.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #7 on: 03 December, 2018, 09:31:15 am »
Up just in time for Christmas (though I start wearing a Santa hat when cycle from early December); down for Candlemas.  I am aware that in the West there is the custom of clearing everything by Epiphany (Twelfth Night, 12 Days of Christmas, etc.).

Those who have everything up at the start of December and down on the 27th (26th in USAnia) are anathema.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #8 on: 03 December, 2018, 10:38:37 am »
Xmas eve and for 12 or so days after.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #9 on: 03 December, 2018, 10:56:54 am »
In my family, the tree goes up Christmas Eve and decorations come down after Epiphany, though the tree itself often stays up a bit longer - one infamous year it was up until Easter...

OH's family tradition is early December until the new year, and we tend to split the difference, getting a tree in mid-December and leaving it up until 6 Jan.

ian

« Reply #10 on: 03 December, 2018, 10:59:18 am »
Christmas eve tradition. We drive around local garden centres at 4pm looking for discounted trees. Oddly, it's often hard work, bloke last year was 'oh, I can't offer a discount...' and it was like five minutes before they closed on the 24th. I think the market for Christmas trees kind of drops off even quicker than their needles thereafter. It stays up for about a week, definitely gone by early Jan, there's something of despair about a Christmas tree stranded in the mid-January. Besides, there's the Great British tradition of disposing of them by chucking them out on a nearby street corner in the dead of night. I think it's one of the few occasions you might actually meet your neighbours.

Personally, I probably wouldn't bother, but my wife likes a tree and decorations so I leave her to it. My job is to be co-pilot the car and navigate between garden centres and then go up in the loft to get the box of decorations (girls, so she tells me, don't do ladders). After than, I'm off the hook other than helping untangle the lights.

I'm personally minded that anyone who puts up a Christmas tree pre-December or leaves it up beyond the first week in January should be summarily executed by a special police squad set up to enforce such regulations.

Gah, Christmas music in Victoria Station yesterday. Courtesy of my wife amongst others so I had to do the courtesy of listening for a bit before sneaking out the side exit.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11 on: 03 December, 2018, 11:07:49 am »
Around here they leave trees up through most of January, then a bunch of folk come round and collect them with a tractor & trailer, and a date is announced for a bonfire & knees-up.

Gah, Christmas music in Victoria Station yesterday. Courtesy of my wife amongst others so I had to do the courtesy of listening for a bit before sneaking out the side exit.

I rather miss the good old Salvarsan Army on the street-corner, scaring the shit out of the herald angels.  The only folk that linger on street-corners here are... hum, well, the CRS, lately, bless their cotton socks and rubber bullets.

« Reply #12 on: 03 December, 2018, 11:47:51 am »

Personally, I probably wouldn't bother, but my wife likes a tree and decorations so I leave her to it.

Actually, this. If I were left to my own devises I wouldn't bother either. It'll be interesting to see how the new cat behaves when  the tree goes up though.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #13 on: 03 December, 2018, 11:53:11 am »
I don't have a tree. But if you are going to, you might as well put it up early and get your money's worth. Unless it's a real tree, in which case have the fire hazard in your house for as short a time as possible.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

ian

« Reply #14 on: 03 December, 2018, 12:03:54 pm »

Personally, I probably wouldn't bother, but my wife likes a tree and decorations so I leave her to it.

Actually, this. If I were left to my own devises I wouldn't bother either. It'll be interesting to see how the new cat behaves when  the tree goes up though.

Bad Cat predictably takes periodic swipes at baubles. We don't have any glass ones left now.

Once knocked off, she gets bored, and LMC makes a racket chasing them around the floor.

« Reply #15 on: 03 December, 2018, 12:52:15 pm »
saw this and thought of you

ian

« Reply #16 on: 03 December, 2018, 01:01:31 pm »

Bad Cat predictably takes periodic swipes at baubles. We don't have any glass ones left now.

Once knocked off, she gets bored, and LMC makes a racket chasing them around the floor.

I should also point out that this double-act usually happens at 4am and baubles being chased around a hardwood floor complete with random crashes into walls, blinds, and cabinets is quite loud.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #17 on: 03 December, 2018, 01:05:52 pm »
The town street decorations are switched on the last Friday in November (luckily that was as late as possible this year).  As this is the road directly in front of our house, the annual domestic battle commences then.
TBH, I tend to get worn down earlier these days as I can't be arsed with the strife any longer.
They'll prolly go up next weekend.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #18 on: 03 December, 2018, 01:07:25 pm »

Put real candles on it, that'll larn her.

ian

« Reply #19 on: 03 December, 2018, 01:10:33 pm »
It's a plan, I do live in The Asbestos Palace.

That said, I think all we'd have left of the house come Christmas morning would be the old asbestos flue.

« Reply #20 on: 03 December, 2018, 05:21:34 pm »
Oh yeah, and

« Reply #21 on: 03 December, 2018, 09:32:03 pm »
We've got the Advent candle and ring out, and the Christmas decorations will follow at Christmas ;D

Usually in the last week, coming down by twelfth night, as is tradition.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #22 on: 04 December, 2018, 10:12:19 am »
Reading this reminds me, I must dig out my BAH HUMBUG bobble hat.

And no, I don't hang baubles.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #23 on: 04 December, 2018, 07:35:00 pm »
Decorations go up Christmas eve and come down boxing day.  I haven't put my tree up for a few years now.  I am a bit of Grinch though (Bah humbug).

« Reply #24 on: 04 December, 2018, 07:55:12 pm »
It all depends on when we're actually in the house long enough to put the thing up.
My guess for this year is that we will buy the tree this weekend, but not actually put it up until the 22nd due to being busy.
It will come down late (for us) on 5th or 6th January. Mrs C likes having the tree, but really wants rid by the time we go back to work. However, as this year that will be the Wednesday, the tree will probably be spared until the Saturday.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."