Author Topic: replacement brake blocks - recommendations  (Read 11265 times)

dougal

• A gem of a lane
replacement brake blocks - recommendations
« on: 28 February, 2011, 01:46:17 pm »
have worn the Shimano blocks down to the nub on my Giant road bike and wondered if anyone would care to offer advice as to what are good blocks at good price at the moment.

normal type of dual pivot brakes, Tektro i think, on normal alloy rims.

It's an "entry level" road bike, the performance of the brakes has never been as good as I feel it should be (not like my Bianchi) so I realise that's not down to the block alone but if a better block is out there i would be prepared to pay more.

thanks in anticipation
Its a lay-by love affair

Re: replacement brake blocks - recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 28 February, 2011, 01:56:10 pm »
Koolstop Salmon, 'red' (actually salmon coloured).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2 on: 28 February, 2011, 02:25:47 pm »
The Koolstops can be bought with the shoes (couple of quid more), or without. (I only realised this weekend just how easy it is to carry spare inserts - they're tiny and weigh f-all.) They're the same shoes as Shimano Dura-ace, and probably many others from my limited experience.

Spa seem to be quite cheap for them at the moment.

I love the Koolstops, but wonder if there is something cheaper I could get for the dry-weather bikes? (that isn't totally rubbish, or eat my rims).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

AndyH

« Reply #3 on: 28 February, 2011, 02:32:20 pm »
My LBS recommend swisstop. Is that just because they are expensive  ???

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #4 on: 28 February, 2011, 02:39:48 pm »
I bought some Clarks shoes that came with a set of spare inserts - seemed like a good deal and possibly better quality than the originals (Ambrosio Tektro-lookalikes). When the time came to change them, however, the ultra-cheap allen key bolt that holds the insert in rounded off. On all four blocks. So I had to ditch them all, and one of them ended up being dremeled off because the mounting bolt rounded off as well. Useless.

Now I have one piece shoes/blocks on the winter bike. When they wear out they get thrown away.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #5 on: 28 February, 2011, 03:16:18 pm »
My LBS recommend swisstop. Is that just because they are expensive  ???
Probably better to get the more "expensive" blocks than to have to replace rims. :)

I've gone back to swisstop after trying BBB blocks, which wore out horrifyingly quickly and Ashimas which ate the rims.  

See here for details... BBB Roadstop Brake Pads

Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6 on: 28 February, 2011, 03:23:28 pm »
I bought some Clarks shoes that came with a set of spare inserts - seemed like a good deal and possibly better quality than the originals (Ambrosio Tektro-lookalikes). When the time came to change them, however, the ultra-cheap allen key bolt that holds the insert in rounded off. On all four blocks. So I had to ditch them all, and one of them ended up being dremeled off because the mounting bolt rounded off as well. Useless.

Now I have one piece shoes/blocks on the winter bike. When they wear out they get thrown away.
I think you were unlucky there Rhys. My Shimano shoes haven't done this, or the cheapo imitations. The little bolt doesn't do much, so really shouldn't be done up tight. :(

Worth knowing that Clarks are in the cheap-and-crap category  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #7 on: 28 February, 2011, 03:50:55 pm »
Koolstop Salmon, 'red' (actually salmon coloured).

I like the salmons but I've been using the dual-compound Koolstops for the last few months and I prefer them - good stopping power in wet or dry conditions, and not as noisy as the salmons in the dry.

I would definitely second the suggestion of getting cartridge type blocks with replaceable inserts. As mattc says, they're largely interchangeable - you can get Koolstop blocks to fit Shimano shoes.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 28 February, 2011, 03:53:41 pm »
+1 for dual-compound Koolstops

« Reply #9 on: 28 February, 2011, 04:19:43 pm »
Err...£10 to £30 for a couple of bits of moulded rubber... or is this a case of marketing departments coming up with rip-off prices based on what they think people will pay?

They're probably too cheap for some people, but Wilko "BMX Brake Pads", marked "Alhonga", work OK and are more reasonably priced at about 75p for a pair  :D

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #10 on: 28 February, 2011, 04:25:32 pm »
I wouldn't trust those to stop me anywhere near as quickly as Koolstops.  Brakes on bikes are one thing it's worth not skimping on.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #11 on: 28 February, 2011, 04:34:25 pm »
is this a case of marketing departments coming up with rip-off prices based on what they think people will pay?

Possibly, to some extent, yes.

But I've used Koolstops for several years and my purely anecdotal experience leads me to believe that they work better than other cheaper makes, so I will continue to use them.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #12 on: 28 February, 2011, 04:39:41 pm »
Nothing comes close to Campagnolo though. Not only good stopping power, but they last for ages. I still have the original pads in a bike I bought in 2008.

Steve Kish

• World's No. 1 moaner about the weather.
« Reply #13 on: 28 February, 2011, 04:41:44 pm »
My Decathlon £3.99 red compound V-brake blocks are excellent.  I shall certainly get some more when they're worn out.
Old enough to know better!

« Reply #14 on: 28 February, 2011, 04:43:44 pm »
Long time happy user of Koolstop Salmons here.

Tried some green Swisstops. The Koolstops went back in after just one ride.

vindec

• per ardua ad aqua
« Reply #15 on: 01 March, 2011, 11:28:01 pm »
+1 for dual-compound Koolstops :thumbsup:

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #16 on: 01 March, 2011, 11:32:38 pm »
So, if you wanted the grippiest, stoppiest brake blocks and weren't worried about wear rates, what would you buy?

(My GF's town bike seems to have some very slippery rims and whatever blocks I put on it they're never too great)

Clean the rims with brake cleaner till the cloth comes clean, this really improves it from my experience

« Reply #17 on: 02 March, 2011, 08:20:46 am »
Clean the rim with washing up liquid, don't rinse it off. The brakes will squeal like a stuck pig, but you will stop on a dime.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #18 on: 02 March, 2011, 05:50:30 pm »
So, if you wanted the grippiest, stoppiest brake blocks and weren't worried about wear rates, what would you buy?

(My GF's town bike seems to have some very slippery rims and whatever blocks I put on it they're never too great)
Clearly she needs these:
   Kool Stop Koolite Brake Pads with Titanium Hardware - &pound;87.49 | Dotbike
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #19 on: 02 March, 2011, 07:40:34 pm »

Clearly she needs these:
   Kool Stop Koolite Brake Pads with Titanium Hardware - &pound;87.49 | Dotbike

Jeez - I'm not that much of a Ti tart to think about spending so much on brake holders.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

SiD

• I prefer a loose Kenyan…
    • Lap the Lough
« Reply #20 on: 02 March, 2011, 07:44:58 pm »
Black Koolstops from Chain Reaction.com

Good all-rounder.

dougal

• A gem of a lane
« Reply #21 on: 03 March, 2011, 10:32:31 pm »
Black Koolstops from Chain Reaction.com

Good all-rounder.

the only ones I can find are the Kool Stop Eagle 2 at 7.99, is that the ones you mean, seems a good price.
Its a lay-by love affair

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #22 on: 03 March, 2011, 10:46:48 pm »
Eagle 2 are not for caliper brakes.

You've got the choice of the basic Continental model, or the more expensive Dura and similar with seperate holders and pads.  Dura with Salmon or Dual-compound pads are what I recommend.  These are well adjustable, and I find they're the best at not picking up bits of grit and metal, making your rims last longer.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

slohill

• still at it
« Reply #23 on: 22 January, 2012, 07:28:50 pm »
I have now converted to BBB brake blocks---used in UK and Europe on big hilly stuff.  Yes they do wear out more quickly than others---but they are very positive stoppers and are kind to your rims.  Highly recommended.  Others I find good for winter use are Barradine---cheap and effective. :thumbsup:
Organiser of  Tour of the Berwyns 200k and Panorama Prospect 130k; Saturday May 20 2023

« Reply #24 on: 22 January, 2012, 09:53:11 pm »
I use kool stops have done for a few years now, normally buy from here

http://www.simpsoncycles.co.uk/product.php/954/kool_stop_continental