Author Topic: Crych Cymru  (Read 1995 times)

macthebike

• I think therefor I am.
Crych Cymru
« on: 21 November, 2010, 08:24:57 pm »
I started this trip with some trepidation and no mudguards. The former due to the promise of several hours pedalling in the dark and latter due to Metcheck`s promise of no rain all day around Monmouth. I was thinking of making a neat little 100 miles out of it by about turning at Abergavenny,but as it turned out,the masochist in me drove me right on to Peny....cos when you are really wet it doesn`t matter any more.

I had several spells of company with Honor ,who kept disappearing and re-emerging as far as Taly, but caught her in walking mode on the painful leg to Rockfield. Of course those in the know skipped that part.

At the onset of darkness, Honor flooded the road with lumens and I road ahead in her glow, obeying her commands from the run sheet, and how smoothly it went all the way home. Good on you Honor !

A few highlights of the day:-  The abbey, still sleeping as we started

Many crossings of swollen rivers(usually the same one)

The big hills dominating the Usk valley(during about half an hour of brightness)
                                  ..........and best of all the surprise welcome we received as we road through the bunting and pretty lights to the arrivee. Well we deserved it !

Many thanks to Mark for another great day out.   

trixie

Re: Crych Cymru
« Reply #1 on: 22 November, 2010, 08:44:33 pm »
A very enjoyable ride out into parts of country I haven't visited before - and would like to again - in the sunshine!  It was good to meet Andy Fogg again, last seen on the Midsomer set...I was always a bit worried when he didn't show up on the last day of filming...

Many thanks to Mac for his cheerful company and to Tony for lending me some pennies when I discovered I had left my only funds somewhere along the way.  So pleased to find a cash point in Talybont! 

The finish at the pub was very welcome.  Thank you Mark for organising what must have been a long day - I did say you'd be waiting for me!

« Reply #2 on: 22 November, 2010, 10:05:12 pm »
It was a pity about the rain and low cloud, as it probably hid the tops of the mountains either side of the Wye and the Usk valleys.

Well done to everyone for 'sticking-it-out', after all - you can only get wet once. A shame the weather didn't watch the BBC or ITV forecasts the night before.

There always seems to be a roaring fire burning in the White Hart at Talybont, and the Saracens Head at Symonds Yat - no matter what time of the year it is. These were especially welcome on Saturday, I have no doubt.

Thanks once again to everyone that supported the event - see you all soon.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #3 on: 10 November, 2011, 05:08:20 pm »
I just read on the Monmouthshire Meander thread that the tea shop at Millbrook Garden Centre closes this weekend. Does that mean a change of control for the Crych Cymru or is my memory playing me up and we control somewhere different altogether?

Tony

« Reply #4 on: 10 November, 2011, 08:32:11 pm »
I just read on the Monmouthshire Meander thread that the tea shop at Millbrook Garden Centre closes this weekend. Does that mean a change of control for the Crych Cymru or is my memory playing me up and we control somewhere different altogether?

Tony

Yes, I found out first hand - losing £2000 pcm was an unbearable burden.

The breakfast control will be re-located to Monmouth, this should add very little to overall distance. there are numerous suitable venues, I'm just in the process of re-jigging GPX files and route sheets. Naturally those with routes already sent will, be sent up-dated ones.

The 2011 event i all system go. Likewise I have let the Cardiff Byways team know of viable controls, and expect theirs to adapt.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.