Author Topic: Nocturne Podcast does Audaxing  (Read 9622 times)

Re: Nocturne Podcast does Audaxing
« Reply #25 on: 14 November, 2016, 09:52:21 pm »
I guess, also, that the producer needs to focus on the  difficulties encountered to make the podcast interesting to the casual listener. It would be good, though, to have had someone saying that, once you get into it, building up to the longer distances is well within most people's reach and encouraging them to give it a try.
To be fair to the producer, it was never intended as advertising for audax - it's a piece about weird shit that people do at night.
In this case on bicycles - via France, and threatened by mountain lions.

I agree that as an "Introduction to Audax" it is a bit skewed!

Yebbut, quite a few newcomers to audax have been inspired by stories about PBP . 
As an example  of Type 2 fun , it was an interesting addition to the internet.
Even if listeners don't take up audaxing , just doing one bike ride through the night would be an achievement.
 Dunwich Dynamo seems to have captured enough people's imagination. Some would say there is an untapped market there.

It brings to mind this thread https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=94652.0 which in itself would make a Nocturne podcast.

« Reply #26 on: 15 November, 2016, 01:10:56 am »
It brings to mind this thread https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=94652.0 which in itself would make a Nocturne podcast.

Gosh! Well that project evolved quite a lot in the year since that thread!
I've duly posted an update... https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=94652.msg2102254#msg2102254

There does exist an audio not-quite-podcast-thingy as a result: threads from conversations with Tina Tylen (Kajsa's mum), Hannah Nicklin and Emily Chappell about dot-watching, bodies, maps, wild wees and connections to the people who are important to us. The endurancely minded can find a link to it at the bottom of this post and can use it to fill 90 minutes between now and the next Nocturne episode being released!

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #27 on: 29 November, 2016, 10:52:53 pm »
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

hillbilly

« Reply #28 on: 30 November, 2016, 07:29:37 am »
Thanks. Different vibe to the first one. Others may enjoy it more than I did.

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #29 on: 30 November, 2016, 09:57:22 am »
Yes indeed, agree with that Billy, the first was much now to my taste. Felt the second was too long and needed editing, and to be honest there was far too much about that worried woman. I've emailed the producer and suggested they try to do something about LEL but the reply was that a break was needed before anything more about cycling.

« Reply #30 on: 30 November, 2016, 09:25:01 pm »
Yes indeed, agree with that Billy, the first was much now to my taste. Felt the second was too long and needed editing, and to be honest there was far too much about that worried woman.

Well, I sort of agree, at last that's how I felt at the beginning of the podcast, but I have to say, as I sat here in the nocturnal hours, I got quite drawn in to Melinda's story, and found it a really good listen in the end. And she's quite a cyclist when it comes to big events. Fair play to her. So much so, I went searching for past times etc. Looking at how quick she has been historically, I think that was a case of sleep deprivation will reign supreme in the end, no matter what, and regardless what you've done in the past. I think we can all relate to how easy it it to lose focus and wander from the goal.

Reality is, it's probably not that easy to compile a 30 min podcast about folk cycling through the early hours with virtually no human interaction, other than with themselves and their own issues! I mean, really....

It did make me reflect a bit though about how the leftpondia [can I say that?] folk find finding long brevets through the night compared to us over here. I'm sure their sense of the huge, the desolate, the uninhabited and the wilderness could potentially be much more profound for them than it is for us over here.

Anyway, I liked it. I think they've struck a very intimate tone to the delivery.
Garry Broad

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #31 on: 30 November, 2016, 10:02:46 pm »
Anyway, I liked it. I think they've struck a very intimate tone to the delivery.
Very much agree, it's sort of addictive - draws you in more and more. Clever use of narrative. I'm going to go back to their other stuff.

« Reply #32 on: 01 December, 2016, 08:04:11 am »
I liked it and feel it was very much in keeping with the objective of the podcast. I'm not sure that LEL in it's entirety would be a great subject for it though. Once you start looking at an event, you have to delve into all of it's elements that would necessarily drift away from the nocturnal core of Nocturne.

Of course something as momentous as LEL inherently has a lot of great stories attached to it, many of which would be ideal for a podcast. With the popularity of podcasts on the rise it would be a great way to get them out to a wider audience and, just maybe, attract a few more to this niche little pursuit. It would just take the will of a couple of to get out there and record them, edit and package them for listening.

hillbilly

« Reply #33 on: 01 December, 2016, 09:24:05 am »
Different strokes and all that.

I thought an interesting approach would have been to speak more about the role of volunteers in helping people meet the challenge of riding through the night, and how they cope with the tiredness and petulance of the riders.  How they work together and deal with their different for of tiredness.  It began to touch on that, but then changed direction.

« Reply #34 on: 01 December, 2016, 10:28:03 am »
I have thought for a while that an Audax UK podcast would be an interesting project. I like the content which Jack Thurston puts out on his podcast but I think there's scope to cover a much wider range of topics including the rides, riders' experiences, kit/gear, food. I'd happily discuss further but must point out that, apart from enthusiasm, I have no technical expertise or experience in this kind of thing!

« Reply #35 on: 01 December, 2016, 10:45:19 am »
Different strokes and all that.

I thought an interesting approach would have been to speak more about the role of volunteers in helping people meet the challenge of riding through the night, and how they cope with the tiredness and petulance of the riders.  How they work together and deal with their different for of tiredness.  It began to touch on that, but then changed direction.

That was my original suggestion, to set up at an overnight control and see what stories came out of that. I'm guessing the other stuff that came out of her explorations were more compelling to the author. Perhaps it's the audax effect that the first plans don't pan out but what happens next is the tale worth telling.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #36 on: 01 December, 2016, 11:10:20 am »
I'd heard parts of the story before as HK had chatted with Melinda and others a fair bit. She is a tough lady and an impressive rider.

Sleep deprivation often results in good stories but too much aberrant behaviour for my liking. I'll stick with getting enough sleep to function.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #37 on: 02 December, 2016, 12:43:57 pm »
The variable reaction to caffeine is the wild-card in the pack. Using a drug with no real idea of the dose over a period of days is bound to cause some problems. It's appropriate that the sponsor is a coffee company.

These things do sometimes inspire me to look at some of the footage I have. There's a story to be told, and a longer form is interesting. But there's no money online, and broadcast stuff has to have mild jeopardy. I did start to do episodes about PBP, but it's tedious having to promote it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwQ2VAfS-hE

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #38 on: 30 December, 2016, 08:33:40 pm »
the latest is up
http://www.nocturnepodcast.org/ep-25-word-hope/
not about cycling.

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #39 on: 05 January, 2017, 08:38:11 pm »
http://www.nocturnepodcast.org/ep-25-word-hope/

Again, not about cycling. Although the concept of finding help in the dark of the night is a very Audax Thing....

Not far enough

• But what I do I do because I like to do.
« Reply #40 on: 06 January, 2017, 07:49:08 am »
Lots of podcasts about cycling out there, some good, some not so good  :P

https://podbean.com/site/Search/index?v=cycling
https://www.strava.com/athletes/stevegee

Is it better for a man to have chosen evil than to have good imposed upon him?

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #41 on: 03 January, 2019, 10:28:56 pm »
https://www.kcrw.com/news-culture/shows/nocturne/stay-warm-be-careful
Another podcast from Nocturne, this time about cyclists
 delivering food in New York.
"They hate me until they need me."

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #42 on: 04 January, 2019, 12:58:29 pm »
https://www.kcrw.com/news-culture/shows/nocturne/stay-warm-be-careful
Another podcast from Nocturne, this time about cyclists
 delivering food in New York.
"They hate me until they need me."
Sadly I only managed about half of that. It started to depress me - too much of the same us-and-them stuff you can read in any UK Newspaper Comments section :( Cycling in NY doesn't sound fundamentally much different from big UK cities.

That's not to say there was nothing of interest in it, so some may well enjoy it!

There have been a number of great non-cycling nocturnes since this thread started! The guy adrfit on his surf-board (NW Scotland maybe?) was a great story, well told  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles