Author Topic: This can't be right ...  (Read 1582 times)

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
This can't be right ...
« on: 15 June, 2010, 01:09:29 pm »
In Evans RideIt! mag/brochure summer 2010 pp50 :-

"These days many city center traffic lights come complete with Advanced Stop Lines (ASLs) or 'Bike Boxes' as they are often referred to. They are there to help make cyclists visible to other road users at the head of the traffic queue when the lights turn greeen and traffic pulls away. Bike boxes are usually fed by a cycle lane and if you're on a bike that's how you are supposed to enter the box - in theory you could get a fixed penalty notice if you don't. Motorists aren't allowed ...... blah blah

(my bold)

Huh?
Doubt is is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
Re: This can't be right ...
« Reply #1 on: 15 June, 2010, 01:50:05 pm »
Rule #154. No requirement for allowed vehicles to cross first stop line via feeder lane...

My Bad.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roads/tss/tslegislation/circular022003trafficsigns.pdf
ASL's #13.
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #2 on: 15 June, 2010, 02:03:31 pm »
In Evans RideIt! mag/brochure summer 2010 pp50 :-

"These days many city center traffic lights come complete with Advanced Stop Lines (ASLs) or 'Bike Boxes' as they are often referred to. They are there to help make cyclists visible to other road users at the head of the traffic queue when the lights turn greeen and traffic pulls away. Bike boxes are usually fed by a cycle lane and if you're on a bike that's how you are supposed to enter the box - in theory you could get a fixed penalty notice if you don't. Motorists aren't allowed ...... blah blah

(my bold)

Huh?

Technically, this is correct.  You may only enter an ASL via a feeder lane. 

From the regs iddu helpfully has pointed to:

All ASL layouts are required to have an approach cycle lane, whether advisory or
mandatory. If a red signal is showing, pedal cyclists may only enter the reservoir ahead of the first stop line via the cycle lane. They may not do so by crossing the stop line.

Traffic authorities need to provide layouts that allow pedal cyclists to access the
reservoir via the cycle lane without being obstructed by other vehicles. The cycle lane should be long enough for cyclists to bypass the queue of motor vehicles without weaving. An advisory approach lane can be indicated by use of the markings to diagrams 1057 and 1004 or 1004.1, without an upright sign to diagram 967.

However, it was noted shortly after the relevant regulations were passed that most feeder lanes would put you in a danger point and that a number of ASLs had been constructed without feeder lanes.

I've not heard of anyone being prosecuted for not using a feeder lane to enter an ASL.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #3 on: 15 June, 2010, 02:12:10 pm »
The feeder lane is the workable way of making the ASL legally useable without having to pass new legislation, or something like that.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #4 on: 15 June, 2010, 02:28:12 pm »
I've not heard of anyone being prosecuted for not using a feeder lane to enter an ASL.

Including motons.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #5 on: 15 June, 2010, 03:02:35 pm »
There is always a certain frisson of excitement from being in the "kill zone"

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #6 on: 15 June, 2010, 03:04:27 pm »

Including motons.

Ah - I do have to say I've heard of one Fixed Penalty Notice being issued for an infraction...

...but only the one.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
« Reply #7 on: 15 June, 2010, 03:12:14 pm »
Thanks chaps.

Another piece of sh!t legalese then.
Doubt is is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.