Author Topic: Mersey Roads 24TT  (Read 48711 times)

rob

Mersey Roads 24TT
« on: 25 November, 2015, 04:10:20 pm »
I have had this in mind since completing the Sussex in 2014 and breaking myself quite badly in the process.   I PB'd all distances this year and substantially improved my 12hr.   I feel I have a load more in me for a 24 and have re-commenced training recently with this in mind.

I do find myself wavering a bit, though, so even if it is now 8 months away is anyone else in ? 

Re: Mersey 24hr 2016
« Reply #1 on: 25 November, 2015, 04:22:08 pm »
Me.
Subject to the usual- traditionally on even-numbered years one of us has Major Health Issues and it is my turn next year.  :facepalm:

Mr Smith is my Charlie Burton for the next 9 months.

I don't expect any Beryl-sized performances, mind.

We're building a bicycle made for speed and learning a whole new vocabulary of acronyms.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #2 on: 25 November, 2015, 04:36:25 pm »
Probably not.  Given the result of last year's BBAR, I'm probably going to concentrate on that next year.  Since the Newbury and Breckland twelves are so far apart (June and September), I think that I'll probably have two bites at the twelve hour cherry.  Then I'll have two hundreds: the national and the Anfield to qualify for the national, now I don't have a qualifying time from last year (after riding on the same course - bitter,much?!)  All in all, that's enough long distance racing for one season. 

rob

« Reply #3 on: 25 November, 2015, 08:42:09 pm »
My plan is also Newbury 12 and Mersey 24.  Annoyingly this writes off the 2 100s I would like to do (ECCA and EDCA) so I think I'll do the Hounslow.

Anything later than the 24 will be a write off so I plan an Autumn of audax goodness.

Breckland 12hr is right near the in-laws place, so very handy, but may have to wait another year.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #4 on: 25 November, 2015, 09:12:48 pm »
I will do it again. I did it this year just because I had a spare w/e and it seemed like a reasonable way to get some more miles in before PBP. It turned out to more more enjoyable than any audax ride I did this year so I will make it my main target for next year. It does mean that I will do some speed work this winter instead of just miles.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #5 on: 26 November, 2015, 09:53:19 am »
...Since the Newbury and Breckland twelves are so far apart (June and September)

Looking at this TTF thread they don't seem to be sure when the Breckland 12 is on. If the end of July as suggested, then it's likely to be the week after the Mersey 24, which would be a bit of a clash. (In the last two editions I rode it's been the first weekend in August, who knows? Anyway, a fast enough course to drop everything else for.)

The guy who says early September sounds the most believable.  I hope it is anyway: it would leave ~10 weeks between the two fastest 12s, so I could ride an early banker in the Newbury and be ready to ride again for the Breckland.

Since you've ridden both, how much difference do you reckon there is between the courses? 

« Reply #6 on: 26 November, 2015, 02:37:47 pm »
Hoping to ride with McNasty after having to pull out with a bad first ever dose of Sciatica this year and not yet healed. Just back awheel last week after five months inactivity and a gain of five kilos so a bit of work to be done but plenty of time yet.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #7 on: 26 November, 2015, 02:52:29 pm »
I am in two minds. I'd like to ride again and aim for over 400 miles unsupported. I'd also like to repay the kindness shown to me during my previous unsupported ride and to offer a proper neutral support (shelter, tea, hot soup, couple of chairs and camp beds) halfway along the night circuit.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

rob

« Reply #8 on: 26 November, 2015, 02:56:50 pm »
...Since the Newbury and Breckland twelves are so far apart (June and September)

Looking at this TTF thread they don't seem to be sure when the Breckland 12 is on. If the end of July as suggested, then it's likely to be the week after the Mersey 24, which would be a bit of a clash. (In the last two editions I rode it's been the first weekend in August, who knows? Anyway, a fast enough course to drop everything else for.)

The guy who says early September sounds the most believable.  I hope it is anyway: it would leave ~10 weeks between the two fastest 12s, so I could ride an early banker in the Newbury and be ready to ride again for the Breckland.

Since you've ridden both, how much difference do you reckon there is between the courses?

I know the question is directed at Oranj, but Topham said on the TT forum he thought the Breckland had an extra few (I think he said 3-4) miles in it.   He said he'd pretty much always do the Newbury as it was closer to home.   Not an issue for you mind you.

I PB'd on the EDCA 100 this year which uses the same stretch of the A11 and is pretty fast.   The benefit of the Newbury is that finishing circuit just chops off the bottom end of the course, so you're on the same (DC) roads all day.   It's easier for support that way.

simonp

« Reply #9 on: 27 November, 2015, 09:45:56 am »
How do you find these event dates? I looked at the ctt online calendar and it shows little beyond the end of the year.

rob

« Reply #10 on: 27 November, 2015, 11:00:57 am »
How do you find these event dates? I looked at the ctt online calendar and it shows little beyond the end of the year.

Officially dates don't get published until the end of the year.   They were on-line on the 31st Dec last year.

Some districts have put their provisional dates on their websites.   It is a bit like Audax, though, organisers tend to keep the same weekends each year.

There's a 12hr and 100 thread on the TT forum.

rob

« Reply #11 on: 30 November, 2015, 12:40:21 pm »
I may change my planned 12hr as my support "team" is away that weekend, which opens the door for a couple of fast 100s instead.   It does mean riding a 12hr 3-4 weeks after, though.

Back to the original topic, though.    It's unlikely I will be able to visit the course before the race weekend, unless we have a family holiday that way.   I've only ridden the 24hr in Sussex which was a little lumpy.

I've heard that the Mersey course is pretty flat (anyone ?), but the thing I notice is the really long night circuit.   It will be getting on for 2hrs between seeing the support crew each time.

« Reply #12 on: 30 November, 2015, 01:09:14 pm »
The Mersey course isn't entirely flat. The more serious support crews base themselves at the Espley roundabout for the night. It's halfway, so you see the rider twice and are never more than 10 miles from them. Prees Heath has a more 'Carnival' atmosphere.

« Reply #13 on: 30 November, 2015, 01:24:07 pm »
Are there other events earlier in the year on the same roads?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14 on: 30 November, 2015, 01:30:43 pm »
I know it as Hodnet roundabout but it is a good place for supporters to base themselves at night (no nearby toilet though).
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #15 on: 30 November, 2015, 01:53:10 pm »
The Anfield 100 uses the same roads as the main circuit on the MR24.  The slowest, lumpiest bits of the Anfield - the bottom and right parts of its main loop - are the bits that the 24 doesn't use, choosing instead to go straight back up the A53.  The little leg north of Espley, up to Market Drayton and back, is used on the 12 hour version of the course but not the 24, unless they've changed it since I last took notice.

ETA: The mersey isn't completely flat but it's faster than the Sussex course.  If you do it, you'll probably see me as I need an early season 100 to get into the national on the Stockton course, now that CTT have decided that my previous ride on that course doesn't count for anything!

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #16 on: 01 December, 2015, 09:13:39 am »
The mersey has approx half the climbing as the ESCA course (~2.5m/km vs ~5m/km)

I'll probably be unsupported this year, so will be asking advice on that closer to the date.
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

rob

« Reply #17 on: 01 December, 2015, 09:33:23 am »
I think, realistically, I'm not going to get up there before the race itself although if I travel up Friday I can recce by car.

The benefit of the Sussex was I spent quite a few weekends riding the course in the months running up to it so knew it pretty well before race weekend.   My supporters also lived nearby and knew the meeting points.

« Reply #18 on: 01 December, 2015, 09:59:19 am »
I'm definitely not fast/hardcore enough to try unsupported, so any hints and tips for Mr Smith & friends would be much appreciated.

Chris S

« Reply #19 on: 01 December, 2015, 10:23:35 am »
I'm definitely not fast/hardcore enough to try unsupported, so any hints and tips for Mr Smith & friends would be much appreciated.

Including tips on how to run sideways at 20kph whilst holding out Nutella Sandwiches and a new bidon to a tired cyclist  ???

rob

« Reply #20 on: 01 December, 2015, 10:26:08 am »

Not a full list, but :-

- Study the course in depth
- Write a schedule with expected number of laps on each circuit - contact the organiser for expected opening/closing times on each circuit
- Ensure your helper is in a useful layby where you can get out of traffic for hand-ups
- Practice hand-ups - I drop 1 or 2 bottles every event
- For me I make sure that helpers are stationed at a roundabout if I know I'm about to be turned so that they aren't waiting in a layby when I'm heading in the opposite direction.   Some riders carry a phone.
- I see some supporters ensuring that they are at every x miles, but I prefer people to be at the same point on every circuit for simplicity.
- Feed on the bike - little and often - use a top-tube bag.   I can carry enough calories for 3-4hrs so I leave feed bags to be collected at these intervals.   I can handle sports food for 24hrs, but others prefer stopping for proper food.
- Be prepared for the fact you may not be where you planned to be.   On the ESCA there was an accident on Saturday afternoon which blocked the main circuit and they sent me off the circuit early, but then made me do 4 circuits of the intermediate circuit.   We knew it was happening so changed plans.

There's probably loads more.

rob

« Reply #21 on: 01 December, 2015, 10:28:06 am »

Including tips on how to run sideways at 20kph whilst holding out Nutella Sandwiches and a new bidon to a tired cyclist  ???

Run alongside rider (forwards) - Bidon in right hand, holding the top of the bottle - Rider grabs bottom of bottle.   Remember to let go.

I will be riding up and down the street trying to train my 9-yr old in the Spring.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #22 on: 01 December, 2015, 10:50:26 am »
To give you an idea, here's my (incomplete) planning doc from the Mersey 24 in 2013.

Here's my instructions to my helper for the RTTC 12 in 2015

The Mersey is a simpler course than the ESCA: until you go to the finishing circuit, it's up and down the main leg plus some laps of the smaller Quina Brook circuit, all of which pass Prees.

24 hours is a long time for Mr S to be a lone helper, so you may want to find him a friend.  I had two helpers on the Mersey 2013 and based them at Prees almost the whole time: we did one hand-up at Espley on the first leg south, then they stuck at Prees until it was time to go to the finishing circuit.  With two of them, I could take on a fair amount of supplies so this worked. 

On the 12 I had one helper, who based herself at Prees for the QB laps and Espley for the main laps.  This also worked.

If Mr S is based at Prees, get him to hand up before the roundabout.  Then if you miss the catch, he can run across the road and hand up on the other side.

[ETA one more: Do a dress rehearsal. Before this year's 12 I rode the first ~120 miles of my schedule at my planned heart rate, on the local 12 hour course, in full kit, taking food and drink when I planned to do it in the real thing.  That showed me whether my schedule was realistic and whether I needed to alter my setup.]

« Reply #23 on: 01 December, 2015, 11:08:51 am »
I should be pretty righteously keto by July (all the mince pies long gone by then) so won't need the continuous feed in the same way as those who run off carbs.
Hopefully one of the advantages of having lots of offspring is that
I will be riding up and down the street trying to train my 17,19,21 & 23-yr olds in the Spring.
:D
24 hours is a long time for Mr S to be a lone helper, so you may want to find him a friend. 
I'm sure they can't wait!

« Reply #24 on: 01 December, 2015, 01:59:43 pm »
Not me next year!  After a DNF last year and a DNS this year, I'm going to continue my trend and not enter at all this time round.  I'm probably going to concentrate more on Audax / other long rides - but it is all subject to getting my neck sorted out (the reason for my DNS this year).

Depending on how life works out, I'm thinking of having a go in 2017.  I've not broken 400 yet and I think I could just about get my club record if I have a decent shot at it. 

In 2016 I hope to have a crack at at least one 12 and a couple of hundreds.  It would be interesting to try the Breckland 12 if it is in September (but the Newbury one is just an hour away from me so that is the easy option).  And the 100 up there is also tempting - as is the 100 in Wales. 

Good luck to those who are going to ride.  If it works out that I have a free weekend (which is probably not that likely) I'll come along and marshall, help, watch, etc.