Author Topic: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)  (Read 2930864 times)

ian

Re: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)
« Reply #21475 on: 21 February, 2019, 09:53:09 am »
So finally, on Tuesday TfL reinstate my card on the network. Now they want to talk to me. I don't know what that's supposed to achieve, either Apple Pay works in this scenario or it doesn't. And still, no, I didn't use a different device (and no, it shouldn't matter if its the same card, but it's moot). You've already told me I touched in with card XXXX which is the one you stopped. There's probably a clue there.

They're apparently sorry I feel I was 'accused of fare avoidance.' Well, by cancelling my card on your network, that's precisely what you did. Without checking that I wasn't already touched-in, which I was. That says something of your assumptions.

Honestly, I have better things to do, but they deserve a grink, but I'd rather write it down than listen to some more waffle from a 'customer services advisor' who will likely know as much about how this is supposed to work as I do, if not less.

ian

« Reply #21476 on: 25 February, 2019, 09:24:35 pm »
So they responded to my complaint with yet another scripted 'please be sure to use the same card.' I don't think I've received a single answer that even offers a hint of credible sentience. I think it's just bots.

And, as I discovered at the weekend, they 'fixed' my card by creating two versions of the same card number.

Can anyone guess what happens when I attempt to use the card now (in any format) now?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #21477 on: 25 February, 2019, 09:32:07 pm »
So they responded to my complaint with yet another scripted 'please be sure to use the same card.' I don't think I've received a single answer that even offers a hint of credible sentience. I think it's just bots.

And, as I discovered at the weekend, they 'fixed' my card by creating two versions of the same card number.

Can anyone guess what happens when I attempt to use the card now (in any format) now?

<Access Denied>

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #21478 on: 25 February, 2019, 09:39:21 pm »
Klaxons and flashing lights?

ian

« Reply #21479 on: 25 February, 2019, 09:47:21 pm »
Beep, says the machine angrily. BEEP!

'Use the same card,' says the man at the gate, repeating the same TfL mantra that pushes our hero closer to insanity every time he hears it. 'I am using the same card.'

BEEP! BEEP!

And then I'm through, cresting the wave of persistence, followed by a stream of indignant fellow-passengers, whom I suspect are fantasizing my painful demise for faffing around at the gate for entire seconds.

I could delete one of the registered cards, but I'm sure something else will break. I decided to go with the stroppy but terse THIS IS AN ACTUAL COMPLAINT, NOT MERELY A LETTER PRETENDING TO BE ONE. I have a horrid feeling that I'm dealing with Crapita or something similar behind the scenes.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #21480 on: 25 February, 2019, 10:04:55 pm »
Aw, no klaxons  :(

« Reply #21481 on: 02 March, 2019, 11:57:54 am »
Bloody entitled dog owners  >:(  In the gym last weekend, a small one attached to the local tennis club, a woman walks in with her (perfectly well behaved I will say) dog. Which I think is inappropriate and unsanitary. Then proceeds to tether it whilst she exercises. Tether it to the crash bar of the emergency exit  :hand:

I emailed to complain, and today complained in person (office closed last weekend. "Oh yes, Bridget was in last weekend....".  Seems I'm in a minority thinking this is wrong  ::-)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #21482 on: 04 March, 2019, 06:43:53 pm »
This is a proxy rant on behalf of those poor souls who were hoping to get the 18.41 from Victoria to Epsom tonight: while waiting for my own train, I just heard the PA announce that the aforementioned service is cancelled because of “a train blocking the railway”.

A train!

On the railway, of all places!

Whatever next?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21483 on: 04 March, 2019, 06:53:33 pm »
Whatever next?

Cars, on the road.  Took barakta well over an hour to get to Mordor Central on the wumpty buzz this morning.  That's less than walking speed, if she were able to walk that far.

« Reply #21484 on: 07 March, 2019, 03:20:37 pm »
I only want to rent a fucking van to move Marj's dining table and bring a mattress back to Manc. I obtained clearance to work on bloody nuclear subs with less documentation than what a lot of these muppets want. One company say, pay us and then we'll tell you what documentation you need -you're having a bloody laugh.

A well known Salford hire company want two utility bills dated within the last 8 weeks. You have to arrange your fucking hire around when you get billed, and it's irrelevent anyway as they're not in my name, bank statements not acceptable. Tossers

GAH!

I can see it ending up on the roof of Glarf with ratchet straps.

« Reply #21485 on: 07 March, 2019, 04:42:47 pm »
Is there an Enterprise near you? They've always been ok when I've needed a van - pay by credit card, and they just need a driver's license and one proof of address (bank statements acceptable). Not the cheapest, but not excessive either IME.

« Reply #21486 on: 07 March, 2019, 05:21:26 pm »
Is there an Enterprise near you? They've always been ok when I've needed a van - pay by credit card, and they just need a driver's license and one proof of address (bank statements acceptable). Not the cheapest, but not excessive either IME.

Thanks but £130 for a day is too steep for me,  found somewhere for less than half that

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21487 on: 11 March, 2019, 05:45:54 pm »
Rant by proxy, on behalf of barakta, who is currently freezing her arse off under migraine-inducing lighting at Leicester while the entire east midlands railway run around like headless chickens.  It appears that someone failed to put 50p in the electricity meter at Derby, taking out the signal box, and by the sound of it, East Midlands Trains ability to formulate a coherent plan.

Paging rower40, rower40 to the diagonally striped courtesy phone please...

ETA: She's onna train.  Currently running 79 minutes late.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #21488 on: 11 March, 2019, 06:42:45 pm »
A late train is nevertheless better than a late station.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #21489 on: 13 March, 2019, 03:38:07 pm »
No need to call Customer Service – our online results give you real-time, detailed progress as your shipment speeds through the DHL network.

The package was in Bordeaux nine days ago. It is currently still in Bordeaux. This does not fall under any definition of 'speeding'. I feel that a telephone number would be useful at this point in time. Not just a picture of a shiny woman with a headset.
A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #21490 on: 15 March, 2019, 02:49:38 pm »
After sitting directly under the doorbell all day I am unreliably informed that I am not at home. I am equipped with the English speaking customer service telephone number. When I call I key '9' to confirm that I want the English language service, a recorded voice informs me, in English, that calls may be recorded for training and etc...

A customer service representative answers:

lui: Oui, bonjour. DHL Express.
moi: Est-il possible de parler en anglais?
lui: Non. - click -

A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.

ian

« Reply #21491 on: 18 March, 2019, 10:41:19 am »

Can anyone guess how they responded to my complaint?

The reason for the failed revenue inspection charge is that you started your journeys with a different payment method to what was shown to the Revenue Inspector.

Sigh. It really wasn't. They didn't bother responding to anything else in my complaint. It's like scaling a mighty, mountainously insurmountable wall of cluelessness.

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

ian

« Reply #21493 on: 29 March, 2019, 09:13:40 am »
I did, by-the-by, admit defeat to TfL in the end. I got two days free travel out of it which was probably as much as I could expect. Believe it or not, if you gripe to Southern or a ToC they're genuinely quite apologetic, TfL on the other hand, just don't give a shit.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #21494 on: 29 March, 2019, 10:28:31 pm »
Phones.
Still getting bigger.
The message about the world being built to suit men (on average) isn't fetting through yet.
My Moto G3 is big enough already. Prospective replacement (because it's about to die) is another 1.7cm longer.
 >:( >:( >:( >:(
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #21495 on: 29 March, 2019, 10:43:57 pm »
Its not the size, its the "you can always get hold of me" factor
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Formerly Known As

• The Legend Lives On
« Reply #21496 on: 29 March, 2019, 10:51:59 pm »
HGV drivers on the motorway.

Just because you've suddenly slapped on your indicators does not mean you can be automatically pull out immediately, particularly when some poor innocent sod in a Volvo is midway through overtaking you.  My best posing pouch is now badly soiled, and Eddie Stobart will be getting the bill to cover the cost of having them scraped.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #21497 on: 29 March, 2019, 10:53:40 pm »
No. It's the size. My phone is for my pleasure. Not for people to get hold of me.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21498 on: 29 March, 2019, 10:57:40 pm »
Phones.
Still getting bigger.
The message about the world being built to suit men (on average) isn't fetting through yet.
My Moto G3 is big enough already. Prospective replacement (because it's about to die) is another 1.7cm longer.
 >:( >:( >:( >:(

Ohgod, yes.  I've just grudgingly retired my Moto G 2nd gen for a Moto G7.  Which is - the usual Motorola problem of repeatedly re-associating with WiFi networks notwithstanding - a lovely piece of kit that's several centimetres too big.  It only just fits the side pocket[1] of an Arkel Tailrider, FFS.

TBH, I've never been overly enamoured with touchscreen phones:  If they're narrow enough to operate one-handed there's not enough screen width to type properly on.  The ZTE Blade was a nice hand-sized[2] form-factor, but a pig for text input.  If someone feels like resurrecting the Nokia E52 with modern hardware, that would be ideal - T9's fine for text messages, buttons are more accurate than touchscreens and if I want to do serious stuff I'll use a fondleslab (preferably with a keyboard) or real computer.

I don't think it's really about men (other than the perennial "works for me" problem at the specification stage), so much as people having increasingly weird ideas about what phones^H^H^H^H^H^H pocket computers are *for*.  Who actually wants to watch video on a handheld device?  Apart from teenagers and people stuck on trains?

[1] As I write this I realise I haven't yet tried it in any of my Sensible Trousers With Pockets pockets.  Jeans were a non-starter, obviously.
[2] Even if you have less than the usual number of fingers.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #21499 on: 30 March, 2019, 03:20:15 pm »
As a larger than average chap, I’d like to,point out that the world is not made to accomodate us either. My phone is one of the few items I have that is actually big enough for me (iPhone XS Max) and the rest of the world mostly requires me to fold some part of me that does not include folding in its design brief.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.