Random Musings > Kidstuff

Which trailerbike?

(1/8) > >>

hairyhippy:
Are there ant to avoid?

Are there any that you really rate?

Do you have one that you would like to deliver to me for next to nothing? ;D ;D ;D

clarion:
1.  Lots

2.  Islabike is the only one to have, really, if you can afford it. 

3.  No.  ;D

chris:
+1 for Islabikes, old or new they are the only one worth considering. Most of the seat post fastening ones flop from side to side, but the Islabike one is rock steady, even doing 43 mph down the Belach loaded up like this!

Oscar's dad:
The thing you've got to watch is the hitch connecting the trailer bike to the towing bike.  Too much play and you're jiggered.

We had a Trek Mountain Train which was excellent.  The hitch was agricultural but effective.  However, there is a flaw with the Mountain Train.  The tow bar hinges for easy storage.  We broke the pivot bolt twice which could have been dangerous.  We may have been architects of our own demise as Twinkle Toes was probably a bit too heavy and we kept using it off road  ;D

Next we tried an Adams Trailer Bike.  The bike is excellent, if a little heavy.  The way it folds for storage is clever.  We would never have broken it.  The hitch was rubbish with loads of play.  It got returned to Wiggle for a full refund.

Next we got Tina the Tandem, Twinkle Toes fits on the back as does her mum.  But buying a tandem isn't an option for all.

If I had to buy a trailer bike again I would buy one from Islabikes.  We nearly did.  A point to note, when we looked into it the rack that you have to use wasn't compatible with bikes using a rear disc brake.  This might be OK now.

PhilO:
Essentially, you want one that hitches to the rack rather than clamping to the seat post, as it's the latter which tend to have a lot of play. As mentioned above, an Islabike one, or the Burley Piccolo seem to be the ones that get the most approving mentions.

Issue 21 of Velovision had a guide to family cycling which included, IIRC, a section on trailer bikes - available as a PDF for 99p in the Velovision shop.  :thumbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version