Author Topic: TransportDirect Cycle GPX File  (Read 1629 times)

ed_o_brain

TransportDirect Cycle GPX File
« on: 29 November, 2010, 08:52:48 am »
As an experiment for this morning's ride into work, I used a route uploaded to my GPS from the TransportDirect journey planner.

Route Planner, Online Journey Planner & Travel News | Transport Direct

All was fine until I reached the end of the purple line a couple of miles shy of work. It appears the downloaded GPX file exceeded my GPS units max 250 route points. (I'm not surprised, there was one recorded every few feet!)

Aside from a couple of crappy cycle routes (motorists given priority in sooo many places) I really liked the idea... and in practice it was great to be routed through Alexandra Park which was white over and very picturesque. Normally such a ride would be 'impracticable' but snow tyres meant not only was it ride-able, it was very pleasant and relaxing too.

Any ideas on dealing with the route points issue?
Thanks

Re: TransportDirect Cycle GPX File
« Reply #1 on: 29 November, 2010, 08:56:44 am »
As an experiment for this morning's ride into work, I used a route uploaded to my GPS from the TransportDirect journey planner.

Route Planner, Online Journey Planner & Travel News | Transport Direct

All was fine until I reached the end of the purple line a couple of miles shy of work. It appears the downloaded GPX file exceeded my GPS units max 250 route points. (I'm not surprised, there was one recorded every few feet!)

Aside from a couple of crappy cycle routes (motorists given priority in sooo many places) I really liked the idea... and in practice it was great to be routed through Alexandra Park which was white over and very picturesque. Normally such a ride would be 'impracticable' but snow tyres meant not only was it ride-able, it was very pleasant and relaxing too.

Any ideas on dealing with the route points issue?
Thanks

See if you can have it make more than one route, each within the limit. Or use some software to divide it into several shorter routes. GPSBabel and WinGDB3 can probably do it. I'd write my own though, I already have one to do tracks and wouldn't take much for routes.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #2 on: 30 November, 2010, 11:04:43 pm »
You could use GPSBabel with the simplify filter to reduce the number of points to less than 250. That should still be detailed enough, unless its a particularly long or twisty route.
Or you could use GPSBabel to convert the route to a track. Most GPS devices can use tracks with more points in, for most Garmins its 500 points per track.

Also, you could try Cyclestreets. CycleStreets: UK-wide Cycle Journey Planner and Photomap
It can plan interesting routes for cycling, and has an option for exporting a GPX route.

« Reply #3 on: 01 December, 2010, 09:04:38 am »
You could use GPSBabel with the simplify filter to reduce the number of points to less than 250. That should still be detailed enough, unless its a particularly long or twisty route.
Or you could use GPSBabel to convert the route to a track. Most GPS devices can use tracks with more points in, for most Garmins its 500 points per track.

Also, you could try Cyclestreets. CycleStreets: UK-wide Cycle Journey Planner and Photomap
It can plan interesting routes for cycling, and has an option for exporting a GPX route.
Don't forget a gps device and a single gpx file can contain more than one track and route too. I make gpx's containing several tracks each within the 500 point limit.  Seems that the publicly available software has largely missed this. EDIT WinGDB does it.

« Reply #4 on: 01 December, 2010, 04:46:36 pm »
for most Garmins its 500 points per track
old model Garmins - all the newer models are much higher.

bikeHike will also convert the route to a track or a GPXX route depending on which device you are using.

ed_o_brain

« Reply #5 on: 01 December, 2010, 07:31:39 pm »
Thanks!!

Many ways to skin that cat! In the end I manually edited the file into three separate ones.