Author Topic: Using a Nokia Smartphone as a GPS  (Read 2892 times)

AndyC

Using a Nokia Smartphone as a GPS
« on: 12 May, 2011, 09:15:46 am »
Like Teethgrinder I'm looking at GPS. Not decided what to buy or indeed if I'll go there yet. My eye is drawn by the Edge but I'd like to wait until the battery life improves.

It all seems a *big* subject, smoke and mirrors and black arts in abundance. Buying a  GPS seems to be only the first part as once you have made your selection you must then start what as an outsider looking in seem a big learning curve.

So before I go any further I've decided to play with what I've got which is a Nokia 5230 & I have set myself 2 objectives. Firstly to upload and follow a gpx tracklog to it and secondly to use Sports Tracker to produce a gps tracklog that will support a perm.

Can anyone give me lesson 1

I've downloaded Mike Wigley's GPX track for the Monty 300k.
I have then converted it to a kml file using this online tool http://www.gps-data-team.com/convert.php
However I've now hit a brick wall.
How do I get this onto the phone?
I created a couple of routes on OVI Maps and synched them with the phone. I've then searched for kml files using Windows explorer to see where they are stored without any luck.

Is this possible and how is it done?

Apologies if this has been covered before just point me & I'll delete.

AC

Re: Using a Nokia Smartphone as a GPS
« Reply #1 on: 13 May, 2011, 01:16:45 pm »
Can't really help with your problem directly but I have had great success using TrekBuddy and TrekBuddy Atlas Creator on several BlackBerrys.

I'm certain it would be compatable with your phone and 'may' be easier to use.

HTH (if not then ignore me - most people do!   ;D )

Russell

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #2 on: 13 May, 2011, 05:05:54 pm »
Trekbuddy Atlas Creator is now called Mobile Atlas Creator and it is indeed excellent, or should I say was, because I notice it's just lost most of its source maps (Google, Yahoo, Nokia etc) only OSM left, which is very unfortunate.

Not helping Andy much, either way!

(This is an object lesson in the advantages of running with the herd)
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #3 on: 13 May, 2011, 10:00:39 pm »
I've not managed to get GPX files to my phone, but have sync'd routes planned on Ovi maps to the phone.

On the phone, they go into Ovi maps > favourites.

I have exported GPX files from Sports tracker. If you get into the workout summary, from 'Options, you can click on 'export' and then chose where to store it on the phone. If you have the usb lead or bluetooth, you can import them into bikeroute toaster.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #4 on: 17 May, 2011, 09:52:00 am »
I have used OVI maps online to plan a route - the Feb WARTY ride, and my route there. I had to add several 'waypoints' to get it to take the route I wanted. I recall you can do this somehow by clicking on the map.

I tried your online GPX conversion program, converted a GPX to KML and downloaded it to the phone via USB cable. I put the file in a new folder named 'routes' to make it easy to find.

My phone is the Nokia 5230.

I found the file using File mgr, which was in the Office application.

On opening the file, I found a load of GPS data points. If you select (click the check-box) a few of them, well spaced, you can select Options, Show on map. Ovi maps will open and your points will be shown as POI.  :smug:

I now have to work out how to delete about 1000 POI fom my phone.  >:( >:( >:(

:facepalm:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

AndyH

« Reply #5 on: 18 May, 2011, 03:07:45 pm »
I can't give you any specific nokia advice, but on Android I use an app called Viewranger. Their website suggests here that it is compatible with your phone.

It will take GPX files & will record tracks, and also supports OS maps. It cost me less than £3 including a 1:250000 street atlas scale OS map. 1:50000 gets a bit more expensive.

However, I don't use it for navigating or recording tracks - my old edge 305 is much better at that, and with some planning (powermonkey, and taking the charger and using it at controls) it can get me through a 600. The battery life on the phone is destroyed using the GPS. So the phone, along with the routesheet, is the get me out of trouble option.

AndyH

« Reply #6 on: 21 May, 2011, 06:58:00 pm »
I hope it does what you want. I've also got a large scale road atlas of northern France which IIRC was free  :).

Let us know how you get on, battery life on the phone particularly interests me.