Author Topic: truncated track?  (Read 1658 times)

Martin

truncated track?
« on: 05 March, 2013, 11:30:09 am »
here's the gpx for my event (from my etrex as ridden Saturday), it loads fine onto all the usual apps like ride with gps Mapsource etc. However when you try to download it to a device (an Edge 800 in this case) it cuts it down. Is there some quick fix I can do to make it smaller?

http://www.aukweb.net/gps/555g.zip#

I never load tracks directly onto my device for navigation as I prefer routes created on Mapsource, thus haven't noticed this problem before,

TIA  :)

simonp

Re: truncated track?
« Reply #1 on: 05 March, 2013, 11:41:10 am »
It's common for tracks to be limited to e.g. 500 points on an Etrex Vista HCX. This seems to be a fairly standard limit on such Garmin devices.

You can filter the track down to <500 points in Mapsource. Sometimes this can make the track a bit inaccurate but you could split it into two tracks (in the same file) and then filter each to 500.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #2 on: 05 March, 2013, 12:59:48 pm »
^^^  Mapsource does a good job (in Track 'Properties'), or there are loads of other ways of doing it - upload to BikeRouteToaster and limit it there before redownloading, or do the same at GPS Visualizer, or Memory Map can do it ... they all basically do the same thing and reducing say 2000 points to 500 doesn't really cause any problems where it matters (ie at turns).

But I wouldn't expect the Edge to have this issue - AFAIK the Edge can handle many more trackpoints than this.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #3 on: 05 March, 2013, 01:15:21 pm »
But some versions of the Edge cannot handle a gpx track broken into segments (which would be caused by losing power during the ride, possibly just by losing signal, I'm not sure).  Only the first segment is loaded (this phenomenon is discussed in another thread here).  So maybe there is a pair of lines in the middle of the gpx file [\trackseg] and [trackseg]

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #4 on: 05 March, 2013, 01:21:48 pm »
Looking at it - actually, it has multiple Tracks - which would indeed explain it.  (Each one has only one [trkseg])

@Martin: Try joining the 3 Tracks (again in Mapsource) - then upload without reduction - should be OK.

« Reply #5 on: 05 March, 2013, 01:28:36 pm »
Try joining the 3 Tracks (again in Mapsource) - then upload without reduction - should be OK.

on an Edge.  Probably not on an eTrex.

Martin

« Reply #6 on: 05 March, 2013, 04:58:00 pm »
Looking at it - actually, it has multiple Tracks - which would indeed explain it.  (Each one has only one [trkseg])

@Martin: Try joining the 3 Tracks (again in Mapsource) - then upload without reduction - should be OK.

I did (the battery ran out) it reads fine on the AUK app just won't send to an Edge

is this what I'm looking for? should I just delete it out between the valid trackpoints?

<trkpt lat="52.5438413" lon="0.1186094">
        <ele>1.0986328</ele>
        <time>2013-03-02T11:54:12Z</time>
      </trkpt>
    </trkseg>
  </trk>

<trk>
    <name>ACTIVE LOG 004</name>
    <extensions>
      <gpxx:TrackExtension xmlns:gpxx="http://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/GpxExtensions/v3">
        <gpxx:DisplayColor>DarkCyan</gpxx:DisplayColor>
      </gpxx:TrackExtension>
    </extensions>
    <trkseg>
      <trkpt lat="52.5437855" lon="0.1190716">
        <ele>49.6452637</ele>
        <time>2013-03-02T11:55:05Z</time>
      </trkpt>

Martin

« Reply #7 on: 05 March, 2013, 05:23:57 pm »
try the gps in the link now, I cut out the trkseg in the middle

simonp

« Reply #8 on: 05 March, 2013, 07:00:45 pm »
I wrote a python script which repairs broken tcx files from Edge devices. Seems to do a better job of it than manual pasting or any online thing I've seen. It fixes up some of the metadata which gets broken.

The Edge devices are far more crash prone than etrex ime so needing this kind of fix.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #9 on: 06 March, 2013, 09:49:19 am »
try the gps in the link now, I cut out the trkseg in the middle

One Track with 2914 points.  AFAIK that should work OK in an Edge. 
this is the same track reduced to < 500 points - it's OK, but only just (in Huntingdon) - nearly 3000 down to less than 500 (actually 442*) is pushing it a bit! - but that should work in any Garmin.

* in Mapsource this happens - you set a limit of 500 but it takes it down lower.  Other utilities seem to do this better.  A tip in Mapsource is to set a limit of say 540 - with any luck it will then boil down to about 510 points - you can then manually remove 10 points (easy to do) to get exactly 500.