Author Topic: Uploading a .gpx track into RideWithGPS.com  (Read 1270 times)

Uploading a .gpx track into RideWithGPS.com
« on: 17 February, 2015, 06:19:00 pm »
A rider planning on riding the upcoming KennetValley200 audax has contacted me with an issue uploading the gpx track I provide here into RideWithGPS.com.  It seems that the uploaded file is greatly truncated, in the form of a route rather than a track.  I have re-checked my file, and am satisfied that it is a track of 492 points that closely follows the road.

Has anyone come across this issue, and if so is the solution obvious?  I have no experience of RideWithGPS.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
Re: Uploading a .gpx track into RideWithGPS.com
« Reply #1 on: 17 February, 2015, 06:42:49 pm »
Not a RWGPS user but the last time I looked it gave options when downloading, which format (Track or Route), and without any clear indication as to which would be preferred.

Obviously if you've uploaded a Track and someone downloads it as a Route, it's not gonna work.  Call it user error, though the problem sometimes arises because of indiscriminate use of the word 'route' (eg "go to RWGPS to download the route for this event" - not suggesting that's what happened here of course!)
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2 on: 17 February, 2015, 07:16:36 pm »
Looks like this when I do it.

« Reply #3 on: 17 February, 2015, 07:50:22 pm »
Looks like this when I do it.

Thanks, Pingu.  That's very interesting.  If I look closely at the RideWithGPS screen it does indeed look like a route, but if I export it as a track it is exactly what I would expect to see,

« Reply #4 on: 17 February, 2015, 07:52:00 pm »
Not a RWGPS user but the last time I looked it gave options when downloading, which format (Track or Route), and without any clear indication as to which would be preferred.

Obviously if you've uploaded a Track and someone downloads it as a Route, it's not gonna work.  Call it user error, though the problem sometimes arises because of indiscriminate use of the word 'route' (eg "go to RWGPS to download the route for this event" - not suggesting that's what happened here of course!)

As you can tell I'm not a RWGPS user either.  On the event webpage I'm very careful to call it a track.  And don't mention any 3rd party software.