Author Topic: The AAAnfractuous & The Less Anfractuous  (Read 31752 times)

Phil W

Re: The AAAnfractuous & The Less Anfractuous
« Reply #25 on: 30 September, 2013, 05:55:42 pm »
Don't worry Pete I'm riding the lesser. I'll save the AAA for a year where I might be chasing those points. The way I see it, the lesser gives me more time in the cafe or pubs along the way.

I'm staying overnight Friday as well if anybody is going for a nightcap the night before.

« Reply #26 on: 01 October, 2013, 12:35:23 pm »
Looks like a good to start of the season with a an initial forecast of cloudy with light 9mph westerly turning north westerly winds , temp around 14C.

See you all at the start

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #27 on: 01 October, 2013, 01:17:58 pm »
I'll be there at the start for tea pouring duties.

I'm not riding due to business commitments - but I may well put in an appearance at the end for more tea pouring duties!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #28 on: 01 October, 2013, 08:00:29 pm »
I've realised I'm free on Sat, so will probably pop out and ride some of this - will definitely include Benson and Wantage. Will see how early I get up!

(Despite this being a nice ride, the start is just a real pain to get to, only to backtrack 40 miles almost to my house, etc ...)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #29 on: 01 October, 2013, 11:50:36 pm »
I've entered the Nyctophobic. I think I must have missed last year.

I'm thinking of bringing the trike. This is not masochism or folly, so much as an attempt to guarantee not falling off sideways when I stall on Colstrope Lane. Depends whether I get it fettled in time, however.

« Reply #30 on: 02 October, 2013, 01:23:31 pm »
'Just entered. I may regret this.

« Reply #31 on: 02 October, 2013, 01:42:51 pm »
It did seem a good idea when I entered but  I'm having some serious doubts.

What doesn't kill you ......

« Reply #32 on: 02 October, 2013, 01:50:41 pm »
I baggsie Lanterne Rouge.

Nelson Longflap

• Riding a bike is meant to be easy ...
« Reply #33 on: 02 October, 2013, 06:57:23 pm »
I baggsie Lanterne Rouge.
You might have some significant competition for that honour  ;D
The worst thing you can do for your health is NOT ride a bike

« Reply #34 on: 02 October, 2013, 08:23:54 pm »

If so I'll be very delighted!

« Reply #35 on: 02 October, 2013, 09:12:09 pm »
Have been wondering whether to dark side the Nycto, or df the 200, but the forecast looks fair so there's no excuse for full valve. First 200 since April!
Garry Broad

Phil W

« Reply #36 on: 02 October, 2013, 09:19:10 pm »

If so I'll be very delighted!

It's my RRTY for October so no need to validate this one Tony and I'm at the start of the month for a 200 for once!

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #37 on: 05 October, 2013, 10:18:42 am »
Back from tea-pouring duties.

Great turnout - quite a sizeable field on all of the three rides today.  Looks like a great day for the time of year, it's very mild and seems quite still as well.

Couple of snaps from the start (mainly the early 7:30 starters) - I should have got a photo of Frank's insane time-trial rig - quite something:

See some of you at the end (those who take longer than about 10 hours)
Right! What's next?

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #38 on: 05 October, 2013, 02:42:20 pm »
THink I saw one of the riders just now in Great Shefford? Would 1415 there make sense timingiwse?

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #39 on: 05 October, 2013, 03:48:18 pm »
Sounds right.

This time last year the first Anfractous riders were home.

Looks like the AAAnfractuous has done its work, heh heh.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #40 on: 05 October, 2013, 03:52:17 pm »
Saw various Anfractions as I was out on my training ride this morning, in the Goring area.  All looked to be having a good time but that was before Streatley Hill  :smug:
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #41 on: 05 October, 2013, 05:25:17 pm »
Errata:
http://events.paudax.com/content/aandn
The turn after the Wantage bikeshop is a LEFT.

HTH
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #42 on: 05 October, 2013, 05:43:00 pm »
Well I have just completed my 1st Audax, I only did the Nyctophobic but I got round without getting lost which is a good start ;D Met some really friendly people, i had a great Sausage sandwich at the Waterfront Cafe. A cracking route with great scenery and some nasty hills thrown in to keep us on our toes. i have the bug, will do a 200 km next  :o

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #43 on: 05 October, 2013, 06:27:42 pm »
I will leave it for others to fill in details and photos, but Von broad has been up to his frame snapping and fixing tricks again. Is there no end to his talents?
Right! What's next?

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #44 on: 05 October, 2013, 06:37:49 pm »
I will leave it for others to fill in details and photos, but Von broad has been up to his frame snapping and fixing tricks again. Is there no end to his talents?
He doesn't seem too great at pre-ride checks.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #45 on: 05 October, 2013, 08:13:31 pm »
I enjoyed the Nyctophobic, as usual.

There was a bad crash on the M1 near Hemel Hempstead, so I was delayed and started 20 minutes late - no great problem, haven't heard anything about the victims, hope they are OK.

I started to catch some of the riders around Little Marlow, and thereafter did my usual thing towards the back of the field, crawling up hills and getting caught, then getting moving again as the roads got flatter.

I've ridden up Colstrope Lane three or four times before, but for some reason today my heart wasn't in it, and I walked almost from the bottom of the steep section. I was cheered when I looked back and realised that it's signed as 1:5, but next time it'll be the Mercian with a triple.

I tried the Jordans route back for a change - I'm bored of Hedgerley Lane - but the first bit along the dualled A355 was no fun at all. A lorry driver, who must have seen me, tried to avoid slowing down and to dodge around me instead. That kind of thing doesn't really work in an artic when you're approaching a roundabout. Think it's Hedgerley again next time. Never mind :-\

Otherwise, good weather, good roads, cheery words from other riders, what's not to like? Oh, and lunch by the Thames, one of the best cafe stops on any Audax I know.

Phil W

« Reply #46 on: 05 October, 2013, 08:48:48 pm »
A great day out on the Anfractuous.  Took a right instead of left, ignored gps beeping as I could see the track below my little marker. realised when GPS said only 8km to finish that I'd gone the wrong way. Added 11km to the route plus 3 hills, I can think of worse mistakes and only 30 mins onto time anyway.

Sat chatting and eating with a couple of horse owners in Lambourne, lovely ladies and they seemed to know. a who's who of jockeys and owners. Marlow was busy but I did stop to eat next to a golden postbox.

Some long drags but nothing really steep. Ride with Teethgrinder for a section but he had no Jack Danials, so I pushed on :-)

Great weather still holding.

« Reply #47 on: 05 October, 2013, 09:47:45 pm »
At around 75km, just outside West IIsley, in the middle of nowhere, I came under the same planetary influence that George Berwick did on the HBKH in 2010. Although I'd emphasize right from the outset that how events ensued for me pales utterly into the background compared to the show stopper that George managed to pull off during that event. There is no comparison.

So, down tube breaks and inch from the headset [where they so often do] and now back to quiet leafy Compton. It's the nearest place. No, not much welding action round here, and I wasn't in the mood to start knocking on doors either. There is one shop though. Helpful lady gave me some double sided tape and a pair of sissors and I bought some utterly useless cheap brown selotape. So, into the bins to retreive two coke cans. Cut them up to use as sleeves and tried to zip-tie [had only a few of those] and tape some kind of repair together. I knew right from the word go that this was only going to be a 'get me home' strategy [if that] and most definitely not a 'carrying on' one. Considering what I had to play with, it wasn't too bad, but it only lasted about 7 km before the head tube popped out of the coke can sleeve and I was down to the top tube as my main structrual support. The tape was the problem. Cycling about 20km with the down tube completely detached from the headtube is unnerving. The utmost care was needed.

Managed to limp back to Henley, where things really came together. Got chatting to a couple of musicians who were loading gear into a van for an evening gig, and they gave me a big roll of British Racing Green Duct tape. Nice colour- never seen green gaffer before. So now, repair no 2: cut away old failed repair, tape tubes together first [they're now a couple of inches apart!], apply coke can sleeves with tape, tape more, find thick twig to act as a spine and more tape - and the next 50km were no problem at all.

Shame not to make it round, but I ended up doing 160km in the end, and got back just as the light was fading, so all is well.

Quite a big field out there today - biggest I've seen on the Anfractuous since I've been doing it.
Thanks to Manotea and all helpers.
Garry Broad

Martin

« Reply #48 on: 06 October, 2013, 12:51:52 am »

Good to see Team GdS (in those far flung corners of the South East, Michigan and Ventoux) flies the flag for Bucks' only qualifying ride since the sad demise of Hilly Chilterns;

another classic edition of this great ride; a true mix of everything. I personally didn't find the extra AAA section at all hard; and even reserved my granny ring for the Colstrope return;

many thanks Manotea and your willing band of helpers  :thumbsup:

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #49 on: 06 October, 2013, 08:11:58 am »

Not quite a McNasty, but you still managed 50k with this bodge!
Right! What's next?