Author Topic: Interesting events for 2016?  (Read 44206 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Interesting events for 2016?
« on: 27 August, 2015, 08:33:00 am »
Any ideas for interesting calendar events in the 2016 season? I'm always on the hunt for something fun.

Your starter for 10
PBP Audax next July - Bogloads of history, being a minority amongst a friendly French peloton, four-course lunches and dinners and hotel beds included in the entry. What's not to like?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
Re: Interesting events for 2016?
« Reply #1 on: 27 August, 2015, 08:46:40 am »
Let's say I was interested in riding PBP Audax.  What do I need to do to enter? How does it work? Are you assigned a group/road captain?
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #2 on: 27 August, 2015, 08:52:59 am »
^^What he said

Also, what about Flèches elsewhere? How does one get in a team in a country that isn't riding in midwinter? (Good Friday- 25th March)

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #3 on: 27 August, 2015, 08:58:18 am »
Audax Ireland are currently plotting The Wild Atlantic Way for June or thereabouts time.

It's a long LRM (subject to approval about 2000km), with a bit of climbing, 21000m up and down.

« Reply #4 on: 27 August, 2015, 09:03:32 am »
LWB - many thanks for starting this thread. I'm looking at something 'different' next year and not bothered on whether points are attached or not.  Just want to get back to enjoying my cycling.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #5 on: 27 August, 2015, 09:08:49 am »

Also, what about Flèches elsewhere? How does one get in a team in a country that isn't riding in midwinter? (Good Friday- 25th March)

Make your own team....where are you thinking of going, coz I'm looking for a Flèche next year and I don't fancy going to York ?

« Reply #6 on: 27 August, 2015, 09:22:57 am »
BC Randonneurs are running the Rocky Mountain 1200, and there's the Chinese 1200 and a Japanese 1200.

We are toying with a Calais-Brindisi and would probably be happy to ride that as a group perm if anyone else wants to play?

Make your own team....where are you thinking of going, coz I'm looking for a Flèche next year and I don't fancy going to York ?
We 'need' another team event but Mr Smith has bad feelings about Easter Arrows. Warmer and/or later in the year are our only criteria. We'd be up for a team with you if you can cope with our pace? (ie- a bit slower than yours!)

« Reply #7 on: 27 August, 2015, 09:24:38 am »

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/16-392/

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #8 on: 27 August, 2015, 09:29:11 am »
BC Randonneurs are running the Rocky Mountain 1200, and there's the Chinese 1200 and a Japanese 1200.

We are toying with a Calais-Brindisi and would probably be happy to ride that as a group perm if anyone else wants to play?

We 'need' another team event but Mr Smith has bad feelings about Easter Arrows. Warmer and/or later in the year are our only criteria. We'd be up for a team with you if you can cope with our pace? (ie- a bit slower than yours!)

There might be a Flèche in Spain, that's fairly easy to get to with a bike, not sure about a tandem though.

rob

« Reply #9 on: 27 August, 2015, 10:09:07 am »
Stop it.   All of you.   This isn't helping.

RideHard

• The London Grimpeur
  • ACH Organiser
    • Steam Rides & Chiltern Grimpeurs
« Reply #10 on: 27 August, 2015, 10:13:06 am »
A few interesting new Steam Rides in the planning for 2016...

Steam Ride : London Circuit 400 & 300 in the final planning stage .. high-lights include Emirates Gondalar ride over the Thames, host of Steam venues and an Airfield Cafe Control  :o

Chiltern Hills : Kop Hill Climb Challenge
Steam Ride : Much Kop
https://sites.google.com/site/steamride/home/chiltern-hills-60-perm

And hoping to organise a London-Paris-(London) Golden Arrow .. see PERMS, may even make a Calender event 2016, if I can make it through the red tape  :thumbsup:

FREE survival type whistle to riders whilst available on Steam Rides:
https://www.lifesystems.co.uk/product/outdoor-survival/mountain-whistle

including :
University Challenge 300 19th Sept
LOL 200 The Ghan reversed 5th Sept

Route Check Volunteers required now :)
ACH SR: Dean 300; Steam Ride LOL 200; Quainton Express 100; University Challenge 600; London Circuit 400; C2C; Hadrian's Wall; Chiltern Pub Crawl; White Hart.   2022 AUK: ACH SR; Wessex SR; LEL; LeJog

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #11 on: 27 August, 2015, 10:16:23 am »
Audax Ireland are currently plotting The Wild Atlantic Way for June or thereabouts time.

It's a long LRM (subject to approval about 2000km), with a bit of climbing, 21000m up and down.

2000km would be 10km/h average speed and that would make it a very enjoyable ride with fine views.

Isn't it also the Mille Miglia next year?

H

rob

« Reply #12 on: 27 August, 2015, 10:30:17 am »
The Dutch Capitals 1400 is back on in July next year.    Really enjoyed it in 2012.   Only a small number of riders and a completely different feel.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #13 on: 27 August, 2015, 10:31:18 am »

« Reply #14 on: 27 August, 2015, 10:39:32 am »
I was discussing the Wild Atlantic Way with the Audax Ireland crew at PBP. They seemed not to preclude a non-Audax status for it. It's got a lot going for it. It would be the Mile Failte route from Kinsale to Dingle. The tourist board video looks nice. I might have to get a graduated tobacco filter and a drone. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIzU6Vhpzyw

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #15 on: 27 August, 2015, 10:41:34 am »
PBP Audax is easy.
Information will appear on http://www.audax-uaf.com/ It is too early yet for any details but the event is planned for 2-5 July 2016. You enter, select a peloton (if there are multiple start dates, as in 2011) and the ride captains are appointed by the organisation. During the event, they will ask stronger and steadier riders to ride with them at the front of the peloton for a particular section but the captain still is in charge of maintaining the schedule. Riding at the front is considered a bit of an honour, particularly during tough conditions.

The UAF cycling vice-president is Jean-Michel Vincelot, who will be coordinating PBP Audax. His English is excellent and he enjoys getting enquiries in English via vpcyclo AT audax-uaf DOT com Payment is generally money transfers, they don't do Paypal. HK and I are happy to arrange foreigners' entries for those who need it.

Fleche Velocio is a bit tougher. The easiest is to have a French or French-fluent captain who deals with the ACP organisation. From memory, the Fleche Velocio organiser is not an Anglophone. Panoramix captained our team and no doubt would be happy to give advice. HK and Postie are considering doing it again. There is a lot to be said for finishing in Provence at Easter, rather than a York pub.

This from http://www.audax-club-parisien.com/EN/352%20-%20Rules%20Fléche%20Vélocio.html should be kept in mind.
"From the beginning of January and no later than six weeks before Easter, the team captains must send a detailed route and time schedule to the event organizer, by letter or e-mail. If by letter, two copies of the schedule should be sent. To make the organizer’s work easier, team captains should provide full details on the proposed route, i.e. town names, total distance, as well as both partial and cumulative mileages. Suggested checkpoints (controls) should be shown too, with the intended time of arrival at each. The captains must declare an exact starting point and an exact starting time (time includes date, hour and minutes)."

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #16 on: 27 August, 2015, 10:43:59 am »
The Dutch Capitals 1400 is back on in July next year.    Really enjoyed it in 2012.   Only a small number of riders and a completely different feel.

July is looking very crowded. Le Douze Cents is on again http://ledouzecents.blogspot.com.tr/

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #17 on: 27 August, 2015, 10:46:05 am »
There might be a Flèche in Spain, that's fairly easy to get to with a bike, not sure about a tandem though.

Change that to "There is a Fleche in Spain."
http://www.flechaiberica.es/Inicio.html

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #18 on: 27 August, 2015, 10:47:16 am »
Noted....will there be a UK team ?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #19 on: 27 August, 2015, 10:53:34 am »
Let's say I was interested in riding PBP Audax.  What do I need to do to enter? How does it work? Are you assigned a group/road captain?

You need the equivalent of an SR series but organized by an accredited UAF club, however you might be able to plead your way in on the basis of a randonneur SR series - I did this for Paris-Tourmalet in 2007. OTOH I knew the then president of the UAF personally and there's been a couple of palace revolutions in the meantime.  I believe the current UAF committee are very old-school.

I'd like to do PBP UAF myself next year.  For those who had gut problems on PBP, though, be ye warned that the stages between halts are 50 km and, thanks to the outriders, the peloton doesn't stop between one stage and the next.  If you need to take to the hedge you have to leg it afterwards to catch up, because if you're more than 10 minutes late at the next halt you're considered to have packed. They don't formally check you in at intermediate halts, either, they just eyeball the pack and tick people off.  In 2006 I dived into the Tourist Office loos as soon as I reached a halt somewhere; none of the organizers noticed me and come January I had to argue pretty hard to get my homologation.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #20 on: 27 August, 2015, 10:59:02 am »
Noted....will there be a UK team ?

Let's make that a goal.  :thumbsup:

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #21 on: 27 August, 2015, 11:02:11 am »

You need the equivalent of an SR series but in an accredited UAF club, however you might be able to plead your way in on the basis of a randonneur SR series - I did this for Paris-Tourmalet in 2007. OTOH I knew the then president of the UAF personally and there's been a couple of palace revolutions in the meantime.  I believe the current UAF committee are very old-school.

I'd like to do PBP UAF myself next year.  For those who had gut problems on PBP, though, be ye warned that the stages are 50 km and, thanks to the outriders, the peloton doesn't stop between one stage and the next.  If you need to take to the hedge you have to leg it afterwards to catch up, because if you're more than 10 minutes late at a control you're considered to have packed. They don't visibly check you in at all the controls, either, they just eyeball the pack and tick people off.  In 2006 I dived into the Tourist Office loos as soon as I reached a control somewhere; none of the organizers noticed me and come January I had to argue pretty hard to get my homologation.

At PBP Audax 2011, pragmatically there was no requirement for a 200/ 300/ 400/ 600 UAF series for anybody (a BRM SR could substitute), due to most French clubs concentrating on ACP brevet qualifiers. Indeed, estrangers had no requirement to ride any UAF brevets beforehand, again due to few non-French countries organising UAF brevets.

In typically French fashion, show that you are capable of riding the distance (e.g. PBP Randonneur and recent Super Randonneur finishes) and you'll almost certainly be in. Monsieur Vincelot would like to encourage foreigners to take part in UAF brevets.

LMT

« Reply #22 on: 27 August, 2015, 12:05:15 pm »
Miglia Italia is on. Some guy was having out leaflets at the bike check Sunday morning, 400 miles of flat riding followed by some mountain passes.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #23 on: 27 August, 2015, 12:11:34 pm »
Miglia Italia is on. Some guy was having out leaflets at the bike check Sunday morning, 400 miles of flat riding followed by some mountain passes.

Through Tuscany, returning via the Genoese coast, at least in 2010. Watch out if it is a hot year.

Mille Miglia isn't the only long Italian brevet next year. How does 2200km of non-LRM brevet sound?
https://sites.google.com/site/ciclofachiro2/home/giro-delle-repubbliche-marinare

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #24 on: 27 August, 2015, 01:02:47 pm »

July is looking very crowded. Le Douze Cents is on again http://ledouzecents.blogspot.com.tr/
The latter looks interesting - is it organised by the turks?!?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles