Author Topic: Compiling a more complete history of LEL - HELP NEEDED!  (Read 12713 times)

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
Re: Compiling a more complete history of LEL - HELP NEEDED!
« Reply #25 on: 10 September, 2015, 10:01:47 pm »
I rode the 1st, 3rd, 5th and 7th editions. Might ride the 8th to break the pattern.

My report on how the 1989 1st edition went for me is on yacf under Ride Reports. https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=67308.0

I have most copies of Arrivee, if that's any help.

I've got your report linked for 1989!  I love that picture of you from Cycling Weekly - you look ever so young! 
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #26 on: 10 September, 2015, 10:03:00 pm »
I have a report from the 2001 edition in English:

/snipped/

There should be one from 1997 somewhere in my files

Thanks Ivo - I will transfer that into a pdf and put it in the archives.

Anything you've got from 97 will add to the archive. 
Right! What's next?

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #27 on: 10 September, 2015, 10:10:31 pm »
A question for the riders around at that time:

In 2001 an 800km option was offered - was this the only year this happened?  And presumably, within the general ethos of Audax, this was something you knowingly entered (i.e. it wasn't a fallback)?

2005 was the first time it was called actually London Edinburgh London (having previously been known as Edinburgh London)?
Right! What's next?

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #28 on: 10 September, 2015, 10:29:30 pm »

2005 was the first time it was called actually London Edinburgh London (having previously been known as Edinburgh London)?

It was always called London Edinburgh London, even if that didn't accurately describe the route at the time. Bernard's original idea was to start in central London.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #29 on: 10 September, 2015, 10:33:58 pm »

In 2001 an 800km option was offered - was this the only year this happened?  And presumably, within the general ethos of Audax, this was something you knowingly entered (i.e. it wasn't a fallback)?

I think that 2001 was the first year a 800km option was offered at point of entry. I wasn't too impressed at the time when the organised said he'd validate my 800 when DNFing the 1400, but was probably too tired to argue the point.

The event was certainly known as 'London Edinburgh London' for the first two editions as the brevet card shows. Maybe it was shortened for the next two after being subtitled 'To EL and back'?

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #30 on: 10 September, 2015, 10:35:25 pm »

It was always called London Edinburgh London, even if that didn't accurately describe the route at the time. Bernard's original idea was to start in central London.

Now I look at the 89 Brevet I see it, same in 93, but it's then called Edinburgh London on the 1997 Brevet card and badge and the same again in 2001.  Before then going back to London Edinburgh London in 2005!
Right! What's next?

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #31 on: 10 September, 2015, 10:40:29 pm »
I for one didn't notice any change of name in 1997 and 2001.  It was still commonly referred to as LEL.

« Reply #32 on: 10 September, 2015, 11:02:39 pm »

I think that 2001 was the first year a 800km option was offered at point of entry. I wasn't too impressed at the time when the organised said he'd validate my 800 when DNFing the 1400, but was probably too tired to argue the point.

I also packed.
 I'm still embarrassed about the spurious 8 points.  But no-one dared argue with Bernard.

« Reply #33 on: 10 September, 2015, 11:06:49 pm »

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #34 on: 10 September, 2015, 11:12:10 pm »
I love the commemorative sock.

Tell you what John, I will put the funds forward so the organisers can present you with the matching one on your tenth LEL.
Right! What's next?

« Reply #35 on: 11 September, 2015, 08:59:33 am »
Before the first LEL,  there is little mention in Arrivee . It first appears as a calendar entry in issue 24 (Jan 1989). Listed as 1400k we are invited to 'Join the inaugural ride!' Only £10 + £5 if medal required.  In issue 25 (April 1989) there is a calendar date change,  it now lists as 1200k and there are apologies for the delay in route sheet. In issue 26 (June 1989) there is a plea for helpers at all controls.

We were easily pleased in those days.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #36 on: 11 September, 2015, 09:24:47 am »
Before the first LEL,  there is little mention in Arrivee . It first appears as a calendar entry in issue 24 (Jan 1989). Listed as 1400k we are invited to 'Join the inaugural ride!' In issue 25 (April 1989) there is a calendar date change,  it now lists as 1200k and there are apologies for the delay in route sheet. In issue 26 (June 1989) there is a plea for helpers at all controls.

I recall something in Arrivée by Bernard, probably in 1987 or 1988, in which he gives his thoughts about setting up some a British equivalent of PBP. All I can remember is that the obvious classic British route would be Land's End - John O'Groats, which would be the right sort of distance, but with all sorts of practical difficulties. Goodness knows why I remember reading it - my stated ambition at the time was to complete a 400 (but we all know how it works).

I'd be interested in seeing the article, if there is anyone with Arrivées going that far back.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #37 on: 11 September, 2015, 09:46:37 am »
I'd also be very interested.

I am going to have another go at bashing some stuff into good shape over the weekend, including trying to compile the many writeups, photos etc. from more recent editions.
Right! What's next?

« Reply #38 on: 11 September, 2015, 10:07:35 am »
You need this photo.

http://www.aukweb.net/resources/gallery/photo/1029/

There's video of the presentation. More to the point is the video of John Radford presenting a certificate to Bernard on his retirement  from organising LEL. There's also video of the first LEL, which I digitised in 2005.
It's probably best if a fresh pair of eyes writes a piece for the LEL website.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQaMOCI_wlc

Phixie

• No gears and all the ideas
« Reply #39 on: 11 September, 2015, 10:29:38 am »

AFAIK this was the only time this was offered and Rocco, who was running the Harlow control with Liz, was upset that it was available only from one start location. (That year, riders could start from either Harlow or Thorne.)  He would have been even more critical of failed 1400km riders achieving 800km validation, which I believe did happen - and which AUK has been ever since been arguing should not set a precedent
At the end of the day, when all's said and done, there's usually a lot more said than done.

« Reply #40 on: 11 September, 2015, 08:59:17 pm »
Before the first LEL,  there is little mention in Arrivee . It first appears as a calendar entry in issue 24 (Jan 1989). Listed as 1400k we are invited to 'Join the inaugural ride!' In issue 25 (April 1989) there is a calendar date change,  it now lists as 1200k and there are apologies for the delay in route sheet. In issue 26 (June 1989) there is a plea for helpers at all controls.

I recall something in Arrivée by Bernard, probably in 1987 or 1988, in which he gives his thoughts about setting up some a British equivalent of PBP. All I can remember is that the obvious classic British route would be Land's End - John O'Groats, which would be the right sort of distance, but with all sorts of practical difficulties. Goodness knows why I remember reading it - my stated ambition at the time was to complete a 400 (but we all know how it works).

I'd be interested in seeing the article, if there is anyone with s going that far back.

I've found Bernard's article in Arrivée Issue 21 from April 1988. It includes the proposed route.

I can't remember how to put photos on here, but I've scanned it and put it on Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/68628605@N02/21336890281/in/dateposted-public/

« Reply #41 on: 11 September, 2015, 09:07:53 pm »

I'd be interested in seeing the article, if there is anyone with Arrivées going that far back.

Well remembered Salvatore - I didn't go back that far to Issue 21 April 1988 - The proposal even contains a detailed draft route starting from Marble Arch. A scan is in the usual place Marcus.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #42 on: 12 September, 2015, 11:40:42 am »
Thanks Steve and Ricky. I didn't imagine it after all.

« Reply #43 on: 13 September, 2015, 04:21:03 pm »
Late to the thread...

My recollection is that 2001 was definitely called LEL, not simply EL. Will dig out my brevet card & stuff when I return from the annual Wobbly summer holiday.

Also there's a ride report from Mr Marshall of this Parish which is worth its weight in gold - http://audaxdemon.co.uk/2013/06/25/another-recumbent-lel/ (how much do web pages weigh?)
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #44 on: 13 September, 2015, 05:59:49 pm »
Whatever the official names, it is common for peeps to refer to:
"London Edinburgh"
"Paris Brest" *
"The PBP"

*I do this. Sorry for any offence or confusion.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #45 on: 13 September, 2015, 06:13:04 pm »
Whatever the official names, it is common for peeps to refer to:
"London Edinburgh"

I've even heard one idiot refer to it as the lel.

« Reply #46 on: 13 September, 2015, 07:54:04 pm »
Was that me? Or another idiot?
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #47 on: 13 September, 2015, 09:01:10 pm »
Was that me? Or another idiot?

A.N. Other. 

What?  You've done that too?  Saying it makes you sound like someone with loose false teeth.

Phil W

« Reply #48 on: 13 September, 2015, 09:36:05 pm »
Marcus

We can include video, photos as well as text in news articles.

So feel creative in coming up with a few articles about the history for the website.

I see Damon has already posted a link to an old video from when Bernard retired.

I also have the links to 13 LEL2013 articles if you don't have them already. Rider and volunteer accounts.

Phil

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #49 on: 14 September, 2015, 09:36:27 am »
Sorry - massively hectic yesterday with various household chores.  I will reply to individual Emails etc. over the week and work on compiling all the material I have. 
Right! What's next?