Author Topic: Essex SR 2016  (Read 1879 times)

ChillyPanda

Essex SR 2016
« on: 24 September, 2015, 07:39:54 pm »
I fancy setting myself a goal next year that might, perhaps, possibly, involve completing an Essex SR series. Is there a list of eligible events somewhere, with dates? Or maybe it's too early to be asking.

I've only ridden up to 200km so far, ever  :)

And I'm quite new here, so Hello.

hillbilly

Re: Essex SR 2016
« Reply #1 on: 24 September, 2015, 08:10:10 pm »
You're not alone.  I did a ride in Suffolk area on the weekend just gone by and it reminded me how nice a part of the country it is.  I'd not cycled there for a while because it is quite flat and, well, I like me some lumps.  But what I'd forgotten is that the rural views are lovely, with big skies and deep green fields that stretch to the horizon.  It's kind of kindled the idea of doing an SR in that part of the world, if my calendar works out.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #2 on: 24 September, 2015, 08:19:20 pm »
Hello,

Which part of Essex are you from ?

And you should speak with Tomsk OTP

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=22529.7775

« Reply #3 on: 24 September, 2015, 08:25:08 pm »
Hi Chilly

Welcome to Essex  :) The series is run by Tomsk on this forum who is the very nice and noble fellow. Next years events are not online yet, I suspect he's still recovering from a very very busy year.

There are at least 2 x 200 (horse power 200 and another one I forget the name of) and 2 x 300 (green and yellow fields and hereward the wake) then you have to hit the asparagus and strawberries (400) and all topped off with the flatlands 600.

If you're new they're good that they are flattish, but they are also challenging in that they a 'x' rated, which means you eat out of convenience stores, Maccie-d s and wetherspoons.

Then there is a night in a pub in October where the medals are given out - a good fun night it is too. Oct 23 this year.

So, recommended, see you there...

Allen

ChillyPanda

« Reply #4 on: 24 September, 2015, 09:23:30 pm »
Thanks all for the info and the welcome.

I'm based in west Essex, not very far from Stansted Airport.

It was actually Tomsk's event that I did my first 200 on, a few months ago. It was Horses for Courses, which I did as a diy. A really enjoyable route. I didn't realise that he runs the Essex SR, too. I shall speak to him.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #5 on: 24 September, 2015, 09:43:08 pm »
There are at least 2 x 200 (horse power 200 and another one I forget the name of)

Flitchbikes is the other 200 Tom runs.

Shaftesbury CC also run a spring and autumn 200 (plus various shorter distances) from Henham.

There are also perms you can do that Tomsk (Thomas Deakins) and Herman Ramsey organise.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #6 on: 25 September, 2015, 06:00:36 am »
You're not alone.  I did a ride in Suffolk area on the weekend just gone by and it reminded me how nice a part of the country it is.  I'd not cycled there for a while because it is quite flat and, well, I like me some lumps.  But what I'd forgotten is that the rural views are lovely, with big skies and deep green fields that stretch to the horizon.  It's kind of kindled the idea of doing an SR in that part of the world, if my calendar works out.

I was on the same ride as Hillbilly - couldn't agree more, and have already decided definitely to ride the full Essex SR series in 2016. Join us - you won't be disappointed
Eddington Number = 132

« Reply #7 on: 25 September, 2015, 12:20:23 pm »
I'm based in west Essex, not very far from Stansted Airport.

Ah yes, on your doorstep! Adamski mentioned the other rides - look for anything on the AUK calendar that starts in Ugley. Also there are rides from Stevenage, the start of summertime 200 is good.

« Reply #8 on: 25 September, 2015, 01:31:37 pm »
Essex SR is on my list for next season.

Just need event dates so can plan it accordingly.

If there are perm options that's defo going to help with any clashes.

Season 1 - 211 AAA Points, 120 Club points,  PBP 72h, ISR, Welsh SR, Easter Arrow, Hyper Rand, AAA Champion, ACB Team and CTC champions

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: 25 September, 2015, 08:08:04 pm »
All covered ably by the above I think...I try to encourage Essex calendar events and perms, with only one DIY out of the four.

All my 2016 events are provisional at present, but hope to get the first few of the year finished off and in the online calendar soon.

« Reply #10 on: 25 September, 2015, 08:40:11 pm »
You're not alone.  I did a ride in Suffolk area on the weekend just gone by and it reminded me how nice a part of the country it is.  I'd not cycled there for a while because it is quite flat and, well, I like me some lumps.  But what I'd forgotten is that the rural views are lovely, with big skies and deep green fields that stretch to the horizon. 

I couldn't agree more, shame that Suffolk doesn't have more Audax rides.
123 Miles East of Marsh Gibbon

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: 25 September, 2015, 09:17:00 pm »
CC Sudbury do a few events every year. They're the biggest Audax-y club in the county as far as I know.

Wilkyboy has a permanent [CamAudax: 'Market 200'] that features castle- and market towns in Suffolk...Andy Terry's forthcoming Santa Special 200 spends most of it's time in Suffolk, though it's an Essex event for the purposes of the ESR...

Essex benefits from a much higher population than Suffolk [and a wider clientele nearby in London too], plus good road and rail links. A lot of riders like the Manningtree start for the Green and Yellow Fields 300 and the Asparagus and Strawberries 400 'cos of the good rail service. An Ipswich based series of events could be popular for the same reason.

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #12 on: 26 September, 2015, 09:11:28 am »
Wilkyboy has a permanent [CamAudax: 'Market 200'] that features castle- and market towns in Suffolk...

I have another 200km perm awaiting approval that heads out Suffolk way from Cambridge — definitely in the "wide skies" category of scenic rides!  :thumbsup:  It touches Essex momentarily, too, although possibly not quite enough for Essex SR purposes. Ah, no it doesn't, it's entirely Cambs and Suffolk.  My other new Suffolk perm just scrapes into Essex.

I also have a perm-in-the-making that dives straight through the heart of Essex going against the grain of most other Essex rides — it doesn't go anywhere near Thaxted  ;)
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

« Reply #13 on: 27 September, 2015, 10:21:07 am »
Anybody from the sticks fancy a visit to the big smoke? Here is my poncey cafe and bagels route. February, July and September this season.

https://www.strava.com/activities/400797485

« Reply #14 on: 27 September, 2015, 08:02:47 pm »
Wilkyboy has a permanent [CamAudax: 'Market 200'] that features castle- and market towns in Suffolk...

I have another 200km perm awaiting approval that heads out Suffolk way from Cambridge — definitely in the "wide skies" category of scenic rides!  :thumbsup:  It touches Essex momentarily, too, although possibly not quite enough for Essex SR purposes. Ah, no it doesn't, it's entirely Cambs and Suffolk.  My other new Suffolk perm just scrapes into Essex.

I also have a perm-in-the-making that dives straight through the heart of Essex going against the grain of most other Essex rides — it doesn't go anywhere near Thaxted  ;)

Hmmmm, I have been thinking about making my local NE London-Lower Essex knowledge into some routes for newish North London folk... Might have to follow your example here Nick and get plotting...

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: 01 October, 2015, 08:53:30 pm »
I've sent out a formal email inviting Essex SR medalists to the 'do' at the Compasses on Friday 23rd October. With more than 50 recipients I'm struggling to keep track! If you haven't received the email and you do qualify please accept my apologies and let me know - I'll check your results and add you to the list.