Author Topic: Happy New Year  (Read 8211 times)

hillbilly

Happy New Year
« on: 01 October, 2015, 07:37:57 am »
May all your brevets be bonnie n braw.

I'm hoping 2015/16 will see me return to doing more events in Wales.  It's good to see UNdulates  return to organising his events, as I'll get a chance to try Offa's Dyke, which I always intended to do before he took a hiatus.  Blacksheep's unpronounceable events also look fun, as only long rides with a challenging amount of vertical can be.

Overall, I will continue my 2015 approach of preferring routes I've not done before over those I have.  And of trying events that are new to the calendar rather than long established ones.

What's your Audax resolution?

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
Re: Happy New Year
« Reply #1 on: 01 October, 2015, 07:49:42 am »
Indeed.  Happy new year!

Up in the air at the moment.  A lot depends on money and time.  Business is good, so time is lacking. My wife is starting her new business, so money is tighter. I might need to buy a new building, so money will be very tight if that transpires.

But, if there is money and time, I have some plans for fast and light touring and finding out what I can actually do with a long term view towards something like TransAm.

I have my eye on some events to help build up, some of which I have never done before and I would like to return to one or two I have done in the past (I would very much like to ride the elenith again (been 4 years)). My eyes are turned towards Wales in general as the above plan has a lot of climbing involved (like 30000m/week).

The Mille Pennine is there an option as well.  I won't be able to commit until spring and workload and fitness start to make themselves known. I suspect that means it will be full (though half those people committing to long rides now will DNS), but that is the way things are these days. 

I reckon I will have to dust off the geared bike for this year (not ridden it for over 12 months!).

Whatever happens, it will be fun. It all starts with something I have dreamed of doing for 25 years.  I will ride the Repack next week.  Well excited as I do love my history!

It's going to be less windy this year as well.  Right?
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #2 on: 01 October, 2015, 08:36:09 am »
Happy New Year indeed!

As we start the new season, I feel a sense of both relief and trepidation at finally stepping off my trusty little-wheeler and getting my leg over something far more sensible, oh yes. 

I just sent off my entries for FWC and SFW  :facepalm:  :thumbsup:
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3 on: 01 October, 2015, 09:19:23 am »
Take it easy on Repack. There are regular speed traps, with associated tickets.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #4 on: 01 October, 2015, 09:39:46 am »

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #5 on: 01 October, 2015, 09:49:37 am »
Take it easy on Repack. There are regular speed traps, with associated tickets.

I haven't downhilled for twenty years. I will be taking it very steady! It is about doing something my teenaged self could only ever dream about!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #6 on: 01 October, 2015, 10:06:57 am »
Winning.

This means riding my own bike more this year.

321up

• 59° N
« Reply #7 on: 01 October, 2015, 10:24:04 am »
Happy New Year!

• To maintain our fitness through the winter
  • To spread our rides more evenly throughout the year
  • To have fewer mechanical problems
  • To explore new areas and colour in more of the map...

(maps shows our gps tracks since mid 2012)
  • To run a calendar event
  • ...and above all to continue enjoying cycling

hillbilly

« Reply #8 on: 01 October, 2015, 11:19:49 am »
Ah, I'm not the only one who has a map they try to fill in!  Mine is a large OS communications map hung on my living room wall with marker pen lines between the main control towns.  Not as neat or wiggly!

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #9 on: 01 October, 2015, 01:27:00 pm »
I need to fill in an Organiser's application, finesse my planned new Essex based R&R 200k (R&R = Rivers & Reservoirs) and get it on the calendar for sometime in August.
This is the first step to giving Tomsk some relief and taking over the Green & Yellow Fields and Asparagus & Strawberries calendar events from next year, in the meantime I will be his apprentice.
On the riding front, maybe another SR this year, we'll see how my foray in to organising goes and how the enthusiasm is for 400k+ rides are post PBP  ::-)
I may just have to keep up my clean sweep of Essex SR's simply because...!
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Martin

« Reply #10 on: 01 October, 2015, 01:38:22 pm »
same as this year (although I didn't set out to do it this year) my age in distance points and twice that number in AAA; taking a leaf out of another stellar AUK's book  :)

being an even number means nothing above 200 either  :thumbsup:

« Reply #11 on: 01 October, 2015, 02:21:28 pm »
Happy New Year one and all !!!!!!!!!

Already started planning some events for the new year. With a focus on LEL in 2017 I am looking to build up the long distance rides. This weekend is a leap into the unknown when (hopefully) I do my first DIY by GPS. If that goes to plan I have a more ready when winter turns to spring. May even go for a RRTY.

« Reply #12 on: 01 October, 2015, 02:42:03 pm »

How did you make that map? It's much more visible than a strava heat map in terms of areas covered (which for you is clearly a lot!)

-

I'd like to explore more of England by entering events in the South West (Wessex SR?) and the North (already entered the Mille Pennines)

« Reply #13 on: 01 October, 2015, 04:05:14 pm »
Happy new year all!

I am planning that this year will be my first SR year
Up the hills and round the bends

rob

« Reply #14 on: 01 October, 2015, 04:29:55 pm »
Bit of a break this year.   Possibly some perms.

Date for next years Flatlands looks attractive, though.

« Reply #15 on: 01 October, 2015, 04:32:24 pm »
Achieving an SR in my first year as an Audaxer is a pretty good feeling. However I am gonna undertake more 100/200km rides and less of the 400/600+ rides! Night riding doesn't agree with me at all.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #16 on: 01 October, 2015, 04:46:41 pm »
Of course, AUK uses their equivalent of the Julian calendar while all the other Audax/ randonneuring countries uses the ACP/ Gregorian calendar, even the Chinese.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #17 on: 01 October, 2015, 04:53:25 pm »

« Reply #18 on: 01 October, 2015, 06:55:12 pm »
SR and RRtY as per 2015, but also ride my first ever 1000+ event and break through the Eddington 100 barrier
Eddington Number = 132

« Reply #19 on: 01 October, 2015, 07:06:40 pm »
Whatever happens, it will be fun. It all starts with something I have dreamed of doing for 25 years.  I will ride the Repack next week.  Well excited as I do love my history!

I had to Google that to learn what that was all about; I'm clearly not a mountain bike chap.  I had watched a programme about the chaps who started Marin and your posting and subsequent search jogged my memory (the programme had footage of them descending that fire road).

Sounds brilliant and I know you will enjoy it.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #20 on: 01 October, 2015, 07:11:34 pm »
Of course, AUK uses their equivalent of the Julian calendar while all the other Audax/ randonneuring countries uses the ACP/ Gregorian calendar, even the Chinese.

I think it's also the legal New Year.
We'd have to ask Julian!
 ;) ;D

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #21 on: 01 October, 2015, 08:00:01 pm »
To explore new areas and colour in more of the map...

The HGWI would have made quite a difference to that map,  wouldnt it???
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

321up

• 59° N
« Reply #22 on: 01 October, 2015, 08:01:58 pm »

How did you make that map? It's much more visible than a strava heat map in terms of areas covered (which for you is clearly a lot!)

MemoryMap, in this case displaying the Western Europe base map.  I organise the tracks by year and by activity (cycling/walking).

« Reply #23 on: 01 October, 2015, 09:32:23 pm »
3rd bite of the cherry at the elusive SR - throttling back on the number of events as doing some leisurely touring in France then Italy next summer but that SR is itching away :-)
Knowing is not enough, we must APPLY.
Willing is not enough, we must DO.

« Reply #24 on: 01 October, 2015, 10:22:51 pm »
Achieving an SR in my first year as an Audaxer is a pretty good feeling. However I am gonna undertake more 100/200km rides and less of the 400/600+ rides! Night riding doesn't agree with me at all.

Would agree with your night riding analysis.  ;)

Nevertheless the roads and controls busy with riders from Wells next the Sea to Saffron Walden on my first 400 very much clicked for me what PBP might be like and made me decide to ride it. I now remember that you guys dropped me into Wells, were part of the carnage at Barton Mills and caught me into Saffron where you decided you needed an audax hotel. Cheers!