Author Topic: Audax by train from London  (Read 8004 times)

Audax by train from London
« on: 05 October, 2015, 02:02:40 pm »
I found it quite hard to work out which Audaxes I could get to by train without an overnight stay just by looking at the AUK calendar so I started adding all of the information to a spreadsheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZCRrQ-RRi7EfCHe54PjhbErn-zgFZZam12rGeOgMmx0/edit?usp=sharing

The usual health warnings apply - this is just a starting point for further research - if you have any suggestions for better routes, stations, times or anything please let me know or edit the notes field in the spreadsheet. Info on which stations have a flat ride to the starting point are especially welcome!

I was quite surprised that 25% of 200s, a third of 300s, and only one 400 in the period I looked at are accessible by train from London. Thank you very much to the organisers of those events :thumbsup:

If any organisers would be willing to consider rejigging their events to make them accessible by train I'd recommend: seeing if the start can be moved to a main-line station, moving the start time back by as little as 15 minutes in some cases, and not holding events on a Sunday or in Wales  ::-)

Re: Audax by train from London
« Reply #1 on: 05 October, 2015, 02:10:30 pm »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Eddington Number = 132

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 05 October, 2015, 02:17:00 pm »
I was quite surprised that 25% of 200s, a third of 300s, and only one 400 in the period I looked at are accessible by train from London without an overnight stay the night before (which my wife would veto). Thank you very much to the organisers of those events :thumbsup:

That's actually quite impressive, compared to the number that are accessible by train from Birmingham (which isn't exactly short of trains, but most start times get thwarted by the London-centricity of the network, or weekend timetables).

I see (unsurprisingly) the Tamworth CC events are well represented.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #3 on: 05 October, 2015, 02:23:20 pm »
That's actually quite impressive, compared to the number that are accessible by train from Birmingham (which isn't exactly short of trains, but most start times get thwarted by the London-centricity of the network, or weekend timetables).

Completely agree. Hopefully they'll ban cars completely and start running trains all night. Would also free up the motorways for bikes  ;D

I see (unsurprisingly) the Tamworth CC events are well represented.   :thumbsup:

The joys of being on a fast train line with plenty of early trains!

hillbilly

« Reply #4 on: 05 October, 2015, 02:24:33 pm »
As an organiser, I am always happy to hang around for a bit of people tell me they will arrive a wee bit after the event starts.  Most of my events have had a couple of stragglers.  They don't get extra time though.

It's all about communication.  Entrants can ask and, provided the request is reasonable, will often get the nod through.  Organisers rarely seek to put barriers in the way of people doing rides.  Many think through logistics like can people get to the start by train.  But it is one of many considerations.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #5 on: 05 October, 2015, 02:29:17 pm »
If any organisers would be willing to consider rejigging their events to make them accessible by train I'd recommend: seeing if the start can be moved to a main-line station, moving the start time back by as little as 15 minutes in some cases, and not holding events on a Sunday or in Wales  ::-)
I organised 3 PBP (not this year's) qualifiers from Oxfordshire on exactly this basis for London riders. I'm still waiting for them to return the favour! ;)

(I was never likely to hold an event in Wales.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #6 on: 05 October, 2015, 02:34:32 pm »
Top work that man!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 05 October, 2015, 02:36:55 pm »
It's all about communication.  Entrants can ask and, provided the request is reasonable, will often get the nod through.  Organisers rarely seek to put barriers in the way of people doing rides.  Many think through logistics like can people get to the start by train.  But it is one of many considerations.

Quite.  An organiser (or a given ride) has plenty of other constraints, not least geography and closing times of other controls.

ECE is a partial solution; iff you're rated for that kind of distance.  So the way I see it, train accessibility is more important for the shorter events, to encourage the riders who aren't yet capable of riding long distances to the start.

« Reply #8 on: 05 October, 2015, 02:41:48 pm »
As an organiser, I am always happy to hang around for a bit of people tell me they will arrive a wee bit after the event starts.

Thank you  :thumbsup:  I'm appreciative of anyone who puts on events with their free time and this was absolutely not intended as a dig at those who have the temerity to organise things at their convenience rather than mine.

For the same reason I also don't want to burden organisers with special requests to start late - sounds like I should rethink that.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #9 on: 05 October, 2015, 02:54:53 pm »
This is fab - many thanks.

Now all I need to do is add a column for "tandem possible*" and watch the numbers come down.... but it's a really good starting point. Also we've thought about going "solo" next year and trying to ride in different parts of the country so this will give some good ideas

* Generally most of Anglia, plus First Great Western, East Coast and Midland Mainline with prior booking and various where it's explicitly against the rules but tolerated (eg Chiltern out of Marylebone, Southern at 5am on way back from Newhaven etc)

« Reply #10 on: 05 October, 2015, 05:03:20 pm »
Now all I need to do is add a column for "tandem possible*" and watch the numbers come down....

I've added a new "tandem" column for you, which anyone should be able to edit :thumbsup: (If anyone wants to add more events or edit the data then PM me a gmail address and I'll happily give out edit rights to the whole sheet.)

Martin

« Reply #11 on: 05 October, 2015, 05:32:04 pm »
All my events are arranged to be available by train from London, one reason they are always on Saturday  :)

« Reply #12 on: 05 October, 2015, 05:50:50 pm »
If you extend your search to Belgium and northern France, you'll have loads of extra events accessible. If you plan early enough, a trip by Eurostar might be cheaper as a last minute trip north or west of London ;)
In the Brussels area there are always load's of audaxes.
Special mention for the 400 next year in Maastricht, you only have to change trains in Liege and Brussels to arrive there, with an evening start you can do it, especially if you're more towards the faster or mid-speed groups.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 05 October, 2015, 05:55:19 pm »
This really is rather good.

I may sit down and have a go at compiling a Brummie version of this spreadsheet when I've got some free time the weather's shit.

« Reply #14 on: 05 October, 2015, 06:01:55 pm »
The Buzzard 600 from Leighton Buzzard starts at 7 for the train.  The train actually arrives just after, but I wait.

« Reply #15 on: 05 October, 2015, 06:03:04 pm »
It's an interesting conundrum:  I believe the Calderdale/West Yorkshire audaxes (and there are lots) still advertise accessibility by rail.  However, the ones that are on a Sunday (most of them) start before the first trains get in from either west or east and the ones that start on Saturdays (the 400s and 600s) start before the trains have even got out of bed, though the trains are really handy if you are going to stop the night before in the offered accommodation.  The conundrum is that they don't really need to take advantage of the rail catchment area, which includes Leeds, Bradford and Manchester, because the events are very busy anyway.  However, I'm sure a lot of the current riders would like the opportunity to leave the car in the garage.  But there is a host of other factors, of course.

There are many events from Cheadle, too and I don't think any of them are truly accessible by train for the given start times, either.  Again, their are other considerations.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #16 on: 05 October, 2015, 06:39:27 pm »
If you extend your search to Belgium and northern France, you'll have loads of extra events accessible. If you plan early enough, a trip by Eurostar might be cheaper as a last minute trip north or west of London ;)
I understand from the CTC mag that arrived this week that soon you will only be able to take a bike in a bike bag on Eurostar - this seems to bear it out http://eurostarhelp.force.com/faq/uk-en/question/Can-I-take-my-bike-on-Eurostar. Maybe something to do with new trains? Whatever, it makes it less convenient.

Phil W

« Reply #17 on: 05 October, 2015, 07:45:37 pm »
The Stevenage ones are 2.7km from the station. Good list as it also works the other way in terms of connections into London and back out.

Martin

« Reply #18 on: 05 October, 2015, 07:47:07 pm »
a few other South East organisers offer rides from stations convenient for trains from London;

unfortunately they seem to use the 1935 timetable  ;D

« Reply #19 on: 05 October, 2015, 08:01:39 pm »
Destination station might be useful as well.

Kirkley Cycles is about 8 easy miles from Morpeth Station, by the way, for the Chevy Chase and other rides. More like 20 from Newcastle Central.

« Reply #20 on: 05 October, 2015, 08:59:10 pm »
The Stevenage ones are 2.7km from the station.

Cheers. Updated and thankfully it doesn't change the trains you can take :)

Destination station might be useful as well.

Kirkley Cycles is about 8 easy miles from Morpeth Station, by the way, for the Chevy Chase and other rides. More like 20 from Newcastle Central.

Should be in column G (I've added the note about Morpeth). I've preferred shorter or cheaper rides (e.g. avoiding the Gatwick Express) unless the station is on a branch line with no early trains in which case the only option is often to cycle further from a main line station.

« Reply #21 on: 06 October, 2015, 09:59:15 am »
As an organiser, I am always happy to hang around for a bit of people tell me they will arrive a wee bit after the event starts.  Most of my events have had a couple of stragglers.  They don't get extra time though.

I also am very happy to stay at the start a bit longer if I know that someone is going to be a bit late.   As I run multiple events on the same day it is really only the riders on the shorter events that I will have to wait for.  and that is not a problem.

Geoff   
Tamworth Audax
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

« Reply #22 on: 06 October, 2015, 11:10:22 am »
At Geoff's, you have to launch yourself and your bike off the train, over the fence and land safely in the car park.

Geoff never get's his welcome and caution alert speech off in one go. A train interupts as it rattles past. We look round for latecomers landing.

« Reply #23 on: 06 October, 2015, 12:40:46 pm »
Tremendous resource, thank you!
One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it)

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #24 on: 06 October, 2015, 12:52:30 pm »
Much liking and thanks for this! :)