Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 3007675 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
I think Methodists take communion. My knowledge of it is secondhand but AIUI it represents not so much the physical body of someone who died (even if he didn't stay dead!) two thousand years ago as the act of sharing. It's a miniature last supper rather than a miniature body.

Oh, and I don't know "I was glad" but "Jerusalem" is a cracking tune! :thumbsup:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
I think Methodists take communion. My knowledge of it is secondhand but AIUI it represents not so much the physical body of someone who died (even if he didn't stay dead!) two thousand years ago as the act of sharing. It's a miniature last supper rather than a miniature body.

Oh, and I don't know "I was glad" but "Jerusalem" is a cracking tune! :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YstlGy1Ld0

Complete with some video of some Windsors applying their Factor 50.

Edit: bugger. They break off about three-quareters of the way through I was Glad and then play a big fanfare.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Catholics I know – most of them anyway – treat it as symbolism.

They're not very good Catholics then.

To get around the obvious flaw in the argument, there's some guff in the catechism about it retaining the appearance of bread and wine.

in the CofE transubstantiation's not even an official thing, is it? Or maybe it is, I'm not sure?

No, protestants don't believe in transubstantiation literally. My memory of this is hazy but I think this is something to do with Martin Luther's 95 Theses and the Diet of Worms (not to be confused with the Palaeo diet, which is altogether more nutritious for body and mind).
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

Catholics I know – most of them anyway – treat it as symbolism.

They're not very good Catholics then.
I'd say most of them are pretty firm on the fundamentals, like God and the resurrection (surely the key point to the whole Christian business and at the same time the most difficult to get your head round?) and the importance of prayer, but sceptical about many of the details and frankly cynical about many aspects of church structure. But that's just the ones I know, or the ones I've talked to. The good ones probably keep quiet!

(not to be confused with the Palaeo diet, which is altogether more nutritious for body and mind).
;D
Worms probably are keto-admissable...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
So Christ is a biscuit?

Edit: bugger. They break off about three-quareters of the way through I was Glad and then play a big fanfare.

The amount of cutlery being carted about rather surprised me.  When my 2nd cousin got married in full dress uniform the minister (CofI, which is a me-too of CofE) made him leave his sword in the porch: "No weapons of war in church".

Re the Factor 50, I reckon Charlie-boy had just walked through a spider's web. Unsurprising, given the company.

I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

citoyen

I'd say most of them are pretty firm on the fundamentals,

Transubstantiation is one of the fundamentals of Catholicism.

Beardy

• Shedist
Sitting next to the bread bin with its attendant aromas is not the best place to be when on day 2 of the two in a 5/2 diet. <fx:grumbly noises from midriff>
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

That's cos it's a Coronation Anthem: for coronations - and jubilees, it seems -  they do the Vivat section in the middle, with fanfares. They carry on 'as normal' after 90 sec ..

Normal version, [from 2011 Royal Wedding]: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsEoy5SiorM

It's a fabulous sing   8)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary

I'm assuming you mean the Hubert Parry one, not this one :P
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer

The implication being that Christ was a bicky.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Anglicanism (of which Methodism is in some sense an offshoot) formally comes down pretty hard against transubstantiation; Article 28 of the 39 Articles says in part 'Transubstantiation (or the change of the substance of Bread and Wine) in the Supper of the Lord, cannot be proved by holy Writ; but is repugnant to the plain words of Scripture, overthroweth the nature of a Sacrament, and hath given occasion to many superstitions.'

Of course, within the fractious assemblage that is Anglicanism, nothing is quite so simple; Anglo-Catholics do follow Roman Catholic doctrine on transubstantiation (and in liturgy &c. can be great deal more traditional than most RC  priests...)

Communion is probably not meant to be truly understood otherwise it would not be a sacrament or a "Mystery".  Most non-catholics, believe that Jesus was crucified in their place and then was resurrected 3 days later. 

At His last meal with his followers Jesus took bread and wine, probably as part of the Passover meal, blessed it and distributed it to his followers.  When we take communion we are doing multiple things simultaneously and expecting multiple things to happen.  We are saying that we believe that Jesus was actually God in man, was perfect and sinless and that his death overcame death in multiple ways.  We then believe that his resurrection proved this.  we expect that there is a spiritual element to this process where by this affirmation we receive the inward growth and conviction of the Holy Spirit.

That is a nutshell version but there are whole libraries on the subject

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

Then let's say many Catholics regard it as only symbolic while still thinking of themselves as Catholics and following other church practices, as well as taking communion.

It's very rare I go to a communion service these days - or should I say, on the rare occasions I go to church it always seems to be a communion service!
I'm both (nominally) CofE & Methodist, having been confirmed into one and accepted as a member of the other at the same service about a quarter of a century ago.
My joy in the communion service (CofE at any rate) is the theatrical aspect, and that in that theatre it preserves a tradition stretching back a very long way, and which will remain largely unchanged for a long time into the future.
This aspect of organised religion - it's link between today, future, and the past, is - for me - seriously important in a changing world.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

And in other news...... Hay fever.
I don't get hay fever - well maybe a bit of s sniffle every few yesrs, but this afternoon and evening I've been crying my eyes out, sneezing and coughing.
There's something in the air tonight . .....

Pollen counts have been 'orribly high for the past week or two here in the West Mids, though thankfully whatever plants are seeding themselves this week seem to be slightly less agressive than the ones that were last week - I've merely got a bit of a stuffy nose as opposed to streaming eyes and scratchy throat.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Thanks to myriad steroids and antihistamines I've been keeping up with the respiratory effects of the pollen.  Unfortunately, it's still sensitised me to every little beastie bite and inadvertent physical contact with Green Stuff.

citoyen

Don’t quite know why but this has had me laughing so hard I can’t breathe...

https://twitter.com/visualsatire

Don’t quite know why but this has had me laughing so hard I can’t breathe...

https://twitter.com/visualsatire

;D

Mind you, some of them are a bit  :o
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Beardy

• Shedist
 An anyone advise how over the next three weeks I’m going to get my chores done while Dr B (Mrs) is at work. I feel it might be a challenge.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Just tell her that she can touch the dust, but she can't write in it.  :demon:

Joking apart, you'll just have to cram them into the morning, or at worst, by the mid-point of the flat(tish) stages.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

An anyone advise how over the next three weeks I’m going to get my chores done while Dr B (Mrs) is at work. I feel it might be a challenge.
You have the advantage over our household.
I can only do chores when Mrs M isn't at home because apparently I 'do them all wrong' if she sees me doing them. But, there's no complaints about what I've done if she doesn't see me doing them.
Curious things spouses!