Author Topic: ICE Sprint  (Read 2008 times)

mr ben

• Some routes may be arduous.
    • ramblings and randonees
ICE Sprint
« on: 10 February, 2024, 07:28:29 pm »
I'm going to look at a second hand 2016 ICE Sprint tomorrow.  Anything in particular that I should look out for?
Think it possible that you may be mistaken.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: ICE Sprint
« Reply #1 on: 10 February, 2024, 07:42:41 pm »
Notchy headsets and play in the track-rod ends are normal wear and tear (ICE can supply the parts, but factor them in if they need doing).

Similarly chain tubes (especially that rubbery bit that facilitates the fold, which seems quite vulnerable to damage when the trike's in the folded state).

Take the seat off and make sure there isn't damage to the seat frame and/or the lower thingy it rests on (if the rear end isn't straight in the cruciform, the seat takes the stress), and have a look at the main fold hinge while you're there (I don't think these are a particular problem, but it could be expensive if it needs replacing).

Check the underside of the cruciform for damage from scraping on kerbs or whatever.

Fabric seat, obviously.

I think beyond that it's normal bicycle stuff.  Oh, if it's got a 20" rear wheel with a Capreo hub (derailleur gears that go down to a 9t sprocket), I think those have been discontinued.  Not an insurmountable problem.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 11 February, 2024, 12:12:46 am »
You can get Sunrace Capreo-compatible 9sp cassettes from Moulton.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #3 on: 11 February, 2024, 02:04:04 am »
With perfect tracking both front tyres will wear the same.
So any difference in the wear pattern between the front tyres could mean tracking is out.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 11 February, 2024, 02:12:36 am »
Good point.  For reference, adjusting the tracking is a faff, but not particularly difficult.  ICE have helpful videos on this sort of thing.

mr ben

« Reply #5 on: 11 February, 2024, 09:29:59 am »
Fantastic, thanks for the pointers. :thumbsup:

mr ben

« Reply #6 on: 11 February, 2024, 06:39:19 pm »
It seemed both well used and well looked after, seller said only the front wheels and frame are original.  Seemed reasonable condition for its age and lifestyle ;D.  I am hoping to take delivery later this week...exciting times! In entirely unrelated news there will be a two wheeled 'bent for sale in the very near future.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #7 on: 11 February, 2024, 08:12:24 pm »
Excellent news, I always wonder if I could be just as quick on a modern ice VTX or big wheeled sprint. Will be interested to see how you get on
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #8 on: 11 February, 2024, 09:51:22 pm »
It seemed both well used and well looked after, seller said only the front wheels and frame are original.  Seemed reasonable condition for its age and lifestyle ;D.  I am hoping to take delivery later this week...exciting times! In entirely unrelated news there will be a two wheeled 'bent for sale in the very near future.

What flavour 'bent might that be perchance?

EDIT. Ah, it’s that Bachetta cafe racer?      Wouldn’t mind a Bachetta Giro 26 ATT in Large thobut.

mr ben

« Reply #9 on: 12 February, 2024, 02:11:47 pm »
^ Correct!

mr ben

« Reply #10 on: 18 February, 2024, 12:38:50 pm »
Boom and chain length adjusted yesterday, and just back from our maiden voyage.  I only have a tiny crap mirror at the moment so I was cautious and did an anticlockwise loop so I would only have to turn left. ;D

Got friendly-beeped at once, and generally was passed with pleasant distance. It's a bit disconcerting being low down right next to the front of a large van, but I'm sure you'd be just as destroyed on an upright if said van decided to drive at you.

The gearing seems quite high, but I will see how I get on, that may just be beginners' legs (the guy I bought it from lives in Lincolnshire and I am in Leeds...).  Now trying to work out the Mounting of Stuff, for which I will peruse these pages and then probably bug you all with questions.

ElyDave

« Reply #11 on: 18 February, 2024, 05:36:27 pm »
Looks great, you will have to give me a performance comparison on the same ride vs you on an upwrong in similar conditions

« Reply #12 on: 18 February, 2024, 06:19:56 pm »
Trikes are slower up hills but can be geared nice and low for minimum effort climbing. If you push the peddles round faster then comfortable you gain little speed and more discomfort. Relax and enjoy seeing more  :)
the slower you go the more you see

ElyDave

« Reply #13 on: 18 February, 2024, 10:20:05 pm »
I know I'm roughly equal on two wheels bent vs upwrong, just a matter of effort vs speed. I'm interested in performance/speed/comfort triangle

« Reply #14 on: 19 February, 2024, 08:16:34 am »
I find that not having to balance means I am more relaxed with the risk of falling off removed. The extra wheel and weight does mean slower climbing and a few restrictions on routes..to be honest there is not a I cannot get through  :)
the slower you go the more you see

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15 on: 19 February, 2024, 12:51:36 pm »
IME barkata's ICE Sprint climbs just as well as my other bikes given approximately equivalent weight.  It's the extra rolling resistance that gets you.  OTOH, there is an aerodynamic advantage compared to an upright (my gut feeling is this comes mainly from being low down and sheltered from the wind, rather than less drag).

But the dominating factor seems to be psychological.  I find I ride it less hard unless I'm paying attention.

Tyres make a big difference to how well it rolls and what it feels like on crap surfaces.

mr ben

« Reply #16 on: 19 February, 2024, 01:01:13 pm »
Looks great, you will have to give me a performance comparison on the same ride vs you on an upwrong in similar conditions

I'll have to do some SCIENCE and see how it goes.  I can see that downhill speed will be a matter of confidence.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17 on: 19 February, 2024, 01:07:20 pm »

I'll have to do some SCIENCE and see how it goes.  I can see that downhill speed will be a matter of confidence.

Downhill's fine unless the road surface is particularly cratered.  Superior braking, relative immunity to skidding and not feeling like you're going to land on your face are all confidence-building.  It's cornering at speed that takes practice.

« Reply #18 on: 19 February, 2024, 01:52:52 pm »
I like the look with the hard shell seat. I had a Sprint 26 with the ergo-flow mesh but the hard shell looks better.

« Reply #19 on: 19 February, 2024, 06:38:03 pm »
OTOH, there is an aerodynamic advantage compared to an upright (my gut feeling is this comes mainly from being low down and sheltered from the wind, rather than less drag).

Not just sheltered but wind speeds are slower the closer you are to the ground. Unless it’s a tornado ….

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #20 on: 19 February, 2024, 07:02:30 pm »
The boundary effect, yes.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #21 on: 19 February, 2024, 07:12:25 pm »
OTOH, there is an aerodynamic advantage compared to an upright (my gut feeling is this comes mainly from being low down and sheltered from the wind, rather than less drag).

Not just sheltered but wind speeds are slower the closer you are to the ground. Unless it’s a tornado ….
Should all darksiders be called Dorothy?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ElyDave

« Reply #22 on: 19 February, 2024, 07:43:53 pm »

Should all darksiders be called Dorothy?

Shirley you can't be Sirius

« Reply #23 on: 31 March, 2024, 11:47:34 am »
It's a bit disconcerting being low down right next to the front of a large van

Ha!!
Reminded me of a tiny snippet of Bijou Bob's video of the Flatlands 600 last year where he captured me on my mates Ice Q in a similar vehicle size-descrepancy encounter!!
It's only about a second or so and you want to scroll along to 16.20 to see it. Blink and you miss!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xwxpj5mfEw

Good luck with the Trice, looks in decent shape.
Garry Broad

mr ben

« Reply #24 on: 03 April, 2024, 12:17:37 pm »
Oh wow, that is quite a size contrast! ;D

Had my first proper ride at the weekend that wasn't just mirror fiddling etc.  Well, I can see why one might opt for suspension! Some awful potholes, I thought I was going to be bounced out a couple of times.  The mirror got vibrated out of position but tbf the instructions do say it has to be done up very tightly, and it was ok on the way home once I had done that.  I was surprised the flag stayed put. Speed on the descents was limited by crappy road surfaces and speed bumps (perhaps not the best route choice on my part in that respect) so didn't quite make 15 kph average. 

...I find I ride it less hard unless I'm paying attention...

Interesting point, I don't think I was putting in much effort.  Brain effort maybe, getting used to the feel of it and negotiating traffic.

Gratuitous pic.