Linked Events

• Upper Thames: 06 November, 2010

Author Topic: Upper Thames 5th November 2022  (Read 106681 times)

Re: Upper Thames 6th Nov 2010
« Reply #150 on: 07 November, 2010, 11:34:05 am »
That was a nice way to start the new Audax season, I couldn't believe how pleasant the weather was for this time of year. Kudos to Phil D for the organisation and excellent route sheet, I felt the 3x70 worked very well. Amazingly, managed to avoid a visitation, at one point in the first section it felt like half the field was standing by the side of the road fixing punctures  :o  I think it is time to get the touring bike with its Marathon Pluses out...

"There are proven ways; play on the certain knowledge of their superiority, the mystique of secret covenant, the esprit of shared suffering"

« Reply #151 on: 07 November, 2010, 11:35:41 am »

boab, grumping well... Hope you found some string, before becoming a bike park :)

Ah haa, evidence that I did manage to ascend on the bike...

I think it was the only time- I walked EVERYTHING. Shedding considerable lard since the Anfractuous has not helped my 'climbing ability' one jot.

The birthday-present-from-my-dad reflectives are doing a fine job in the picture, too.

And no, I never did manage to sort my trews, and although I stayed firmly near the rear, there were still far too many riders who may have seen far more than anyone wants to of my milky white backside. My sincerest apologies.

Note to self: You are not hard, and you are not a man. You are a gurl, and should not attempt to take a fixed wheel bicycle west of Cambridge.

Many (many) thanks to LWaB for pre-start fettling which allowed me to have power for the ride. And many (many many) thanks to Chris S's #2 Son who permitted me to steal the fettling bits from skippy.

Lovely lovely soup at the end, unmissable. But I think unless I man up a bit over the next 12 months (I may have muttered the verbotim phrase 'training') I will be taking gears next year.

O, and +1 for the new start. Beech trees in the morning was all win.

Chris S

« Reply #152 on: 07 November, 2010, 11:51:58 am »
Super day. Thanks Phil & Team for a brilliant event once again.

Ideal weather - even the perma-headwind from Bicester to Chippy was much lighter than usual. Checking the GPS tracklog - yes, that section is all uphill - with an interruption at Lower Heyford where you drop down to the river, and have to get that height back all over again.

Superb views at Brill before the drop down to Arncott.

Great service at the Chippy cafe. If you bounce Waterperry as I did - you are really ready for lunch when you get to CN.

Mrs S made me some cheesy pastry straws as trailfood. I don't know what else she put in them, but I was flying yesterday; I finished just after 6 which is fastest for me by a long way for this ride. I especially liked the run down from Leafield to Buckland, which is one long downhill. After the Stanford info, as it was getting dark, I seemed to be going faster and faster; typical flatlander - a sucker for a flat route with a bit of a tailwind.

Foggy drive back made for a late-O'clock bedtime - but boab did a good job of keeping me awake - at least until she succumbed to slumber as we passed through the foggy streets of Brandon. I'd forgotten that we'd split the journey last year with £19 rooms at the M4 Travelodge. Might revert to that plan next year.

« Reply #153 on: 07 November, 2010, 12:50:17 pm »
I've blogged...  All this for a fiver – 200K on A November Saturday « Straight on at roundabout

Lovely day with lots of nice people.

Liam

« Reply #154 on: 07 November, 2010, 12:54:43 pm »
Taking a photo of the information board, how very American Tourist... ;)

But handy in case Manotea ever uses it as an Info....

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #155 on: 07 November, 2010, 01:31:04 pm »
Checking the GPS tracklog - yes, that section is all uphill - with an interruption at Lower Heyford where you drop down to the river, and have to get that height back all over again.

Here's an annotated profile.

It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #156 on: 07 November, 2010, 01:44:21 pm »
Checking the GPS tracklog - yes, that section is all uphill - with an interruption at Lower Heyford where you drop down to the river, and have to get that height back all over again.

What prog do you do that in?

« Reply #157 on: 07 November, 2010, 01:46:52 pm »
I think it was the only time- I walked EVERYTHING. Shedding considerable lard since the Anfractuous has not helped my 'climbing ability' one jot.

If that was you, it worked out OK overall - you may have walked the big hill but you passed me twenty minutes later going like a rocket.

I got a phone call about 35km that strongly suggested I return to London - fortunately, I was 2 miles from Henley - so I DNF _again_, sigh.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #158 on: 07 November, 2010, 01:49:34 pm »

Hi, it is Ascent. Not free, but excellently featured.
It is simpler than it looks.

scottlington

• It's short for, erm....Bob!
« Reply #159 on: 07 November, 2010, 01:55:15 pm »
Fabulous day out - perfect weather, great route, good company. I like the new format  :thumbsup:

Spent all day in the fine company of Mattc, on and off with various others. The famed drag up to CN never really materialised and I found it relatively easy. Thanks to the weather for that. Dropped a drive side spoke on the hill up to the info on leg 2 (circa 90k) which was a bummer especially as I had invested in a set of hand built Harry Rowland wheels  just prior to MC1K exactly because I kept dropping spokes. I fail to see it can be anything I am doing but still have a lack of understanding as to why it keeps happening  ??? Anyway, Mattc expertly wielded his spokey tool and, apart from some increasingly annoying rubbing off the wheel on the mudguards, it held up for the rest of the ride.  :)

Good to see such a great turnout and many YACFers (even if I did not remember all names...  ::-) . Many thanks to Phild and helpers for providing a wonderful autumn day out.

« Reply #160 on: 07 November, 2010, 02:08:41 pm »

This is my Suunto's take on things:

« Reply #161 on: 07 November, 2010, 02:16:14 pm »
I didn't find the climbing bothersome, mostly drags rather than hills. Mind you, I did bring 29 more gears* than some people  :) , most of which I used, and I think I'd have found the last part of the ride very tough on fixed.

* And in the case of Manotea, about 24 of those 29 were smaller than the gear he brought along.

« Reply #162 on: 07 November, 2010, 03:09:47 pm »
Yes, thumbs up for the start location change. Worked really well.

Compared to where he's in relation to fitness over the past two years, the lad Manotea gets the prize for the most improved rider on the day for me. It just goes to show what dope lard-shifting and training can do for a person. [You know who you both are :-].

Also catdhing my eye were Mattc and Scotlington looking fresh and agile after their jaunt round the MC1000 and Chris S nonchalantly knocked 90mins off his previous best time. Chapeau.

I'm not sure how much longer I can continue to turn out to these events from one 6-month period to the next, and expect to get round without feeling like collapsing at the end. Might have to consider cycling more than 1km three times a week to the pub and back!

Must heap praise upon the jacket spud and bolognese sauce at the Honet Pot cafe. I don't normally eat there, but it was lovely stuff [too late for the chippy now].

An unexpected visitor to Cholsey at the end was John Harwood, fresh from his 3 year absense abroad. What an experience and a life changing one it sounded like too.

Cracking day.
Garry Broad

« Reply #163 on: 07 November, 2010, 03:15:57 pm »
That was a nice way to start the new Audax season, I couldn't believe how pleasant the weather was for this time of year. Kudos to Phil D for the organisation and excellent route sheet, I felt the 3x70 worked very well. Amazingly, managed to avoid a visitation, at one point in the first section it felt like half the field was standing by the side of the road fixing punctures  :o  I think it is time to get the touring bike with its Marathon Pluses out...

I did have Marathons on mine and still ended up with two visitations in the first 25km!
However, a great day with fantastic weather and once over that feeling of having lost so much time/ground early on settled into a very happy rhythm and whilst the Bicester to CN section was hard work it wasn't as bad as I had feared from comments before the ride.
Enjoyed putting faces to many yacf names as well.
Many many thanks to phild and his team for such great organisation - warm welcome and hot food always much appreciated.  Symbol Routesheet also a great success :)

« Reply #164 on: 07 November, 2010, 04:46:14 pm »
Might have to consider cycling more than 1km three times a week to the pub and back!

You were walking when I honked you in Chesham this PM

« Reply #165 on: 07 November, 2010, 05:49:47 pm »
Might have to consider cycling more than 1km three times a week to the pub and back!

You were walking when I honked you in Chesham this PM

Ah.....[thinks]......motorized vehicle coming through the one-way, car park on the left, Chess River [Stream][ on the right, just before you get to the roundabout?

I'll be back on the bike this evening :-)
Garry Broad

simonp

« Reply #166 on: 07 November, 2010, 06:17:43 pm »
I reckon I missed a great day out. Decision to DNS proved wise, though. Felt achey all over yesterday.

« Reply #167 on: 07 November, 2010, 06:42:35 pm »
What was the name of the estate we passed where a stonemason was doing what looked to be a superb job on a hell of a long wall?

Chris S

« Reply #168 on: 07 November, 2010, 06:47:53 pm »
What was the name of the estate we passed where a stonemason was doing what looked to be a superb job on a hell of a long wall?

Great Tew Park would be my guess.

Great Tew Estate

« Reply #169 on: 07 November, 2010, 06:55:02 pm »

Was that at Great Tew?

Simonb

« Reply #170 on: 07 November, 2010, 07:00:34 pm »

Dunno, but he was very pleased when I called out "Nice wall!". Which it was.

Martin

« Reply #171 on: 07 November, 2010, 07:14:45 pm »
who owns that f off house that was lit up as we rode past at dusk?

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #172 on: 07 November, 2010, 07:27:52 pm »

Was that at Great Tew?

Think so. Assuming you're talking of the wall on the right as we passed. There were a couple of chaps working when Andy (of this parish?), Mercury & I passed and said "Hi".

« Reply #173 on: 07 November, 2010, 07:32:29 pm »

« Reply #174 on: 07 November, 2010, 07:34:26 pm »
who owns that f off house that was lit up as we rode past at dusk?

Thinking of putting in an offer?