Author Topic: Ronde Van Vlaandern  (Read 954 times)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Ronde Van Vlaandern
« on: 19 March, 2024, 10:01:07 pm »
I seem to be in possession of
an interrail pass
a eurostar ticket
a confusing instruction as to where to find the bus to Kortrijk since NMBS have shut the line at Mouscon
and a hotel booked in Kortrijk for the 30th and 31st of March (plus many others after that)

Which means I'm suspiciously close to Oudenarde (I also live reasonably close to an Oudenarde as well but not that one)

What I need to know is

Is it worth the long walk out to the Kopperberg over Oude Kwarmont/Patterberg which has free buses from Oudenaarde
Or if I get the bus what's better to watch at Kwarmont or Patterberg?

Re: Ronde Van Vlaandern
« Reply #1 on: 19 March, 2024, 10:30:17 pm »
I’ve only been to koppenberg for thé cross and always thought it would be tight for space.

Kwaremont seems to get busier each year but at least you have a flat central square and a much longer drag to find a spot and repeated pass throughs.

Only time at Paterberg was mid ride but again seems like there might be lack of space.

Interested to hear others thoughts. One thing for sure is the finish has to be the worst place to end up.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #2 on: 19 March, 2024, 11:16:57 pm »
The only advantage I could see to hanging around oudenaarde is they do pass a few times and big telly.

I fully expect to need to use my height and pointy elbows to my advantage.

Sent from my IV2201 using Tapatalk

« Reply #3 on: 20 March, 2024, 08:29:20 am »
There is a big screen in Oude Kwaremont square and I presume at Koppenberg also.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #4 on: 20 March, 2024, 08:30:50 am »
Koppenberg comes late in the race (44km to go) for both women and men and is a single ascent for each
On Kwaremont the women also only pass once, the men 3 times, once early on
Paterberg is the last climb in the womens race, the men go up twice
For maximum race passage that suggests Kwaremont is the most optimal.
With a closer look at the routes and start times it might be possible to get from Kwaremont to Paterberg and back for the final mens ascent.
 It will take a lot of buses to get everyone off the hillside though!
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #5 on: 20 March, 2024, 09:31:02 am »
yeah, this is why I can't decide between the 2, having seen the pros going up cairn o mount as if it's flat I'm not sure if the paterberg is worth one less pass for the extra steepness.

kwaremon having a big telly though

buses back run until 8pm,

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #6 on: 20 March, 2024, 10:10:56 pm »
If you were me I'd look at both race timings, with the idea of going out to Kwaremont, yomping across to patterberg and back to Kwaremont = 3 race passes by the men, and hopefully one by the women.
Or just enjoy some beers on Kwaremont.
Patterberg is steep but short. It's main difficulty for the pros is the +90 bend at the bottom. First pass for a bunch some of them will be starting from 0kmph and will look more human
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #7 on: 21 March, 2024, 02:25:33 pm »
much to consider there

it doesn't look far...
it does sound like it'll be busy.

oude kwaremont is starting to sound the better option though.

still need to find the sncf replacement bus stop in lille, sncb couldn't tell me anymore than what's already published and it's their bloody service. (but sncfs bus stop)

« Reply #8 on: 21 March, 2024, 06:36:33 pm »
My advice is to get to the Kwaremont and stay put. You have TVs, beers, frites and the races passing four times, plus the best race-side atmosphere.

If you think you can move about between spots, be prepared for a difficult time, especially if you have a bike. It gets so busy that at times it's like a shoulder-to-shoulder gathering with no realistic room for a bike. I think you risk getting caught and missing what you came for in trying to get to see extra passes of the race.

« Reply #9 on: 21 March, 2024, 06:39:44 pm »
I have two entries to the We Ride Flanders on the Saturday that I'm unable to use and can legitimately be reallocated for a reasonable offer in the circumstances. Both for the 128 km distance, starting and finishing in Oudennarde. Can opt to change to the shorter distance at no cost, or increase to the longer route options by paying the difference of around 10 EUR. PM me if interested.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #10 on: 22 March, 2024, 12:05:58 am »
no bike, nee fietsen

I think moving around was a long shot, going to the lavvy and burgervam may be a long shot if I get up a decent spot.

« Reply #11 on: 31 March, 2024, 09:17:09 am »
and, they're off...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #12 on: 31 March, 2024, 09:42:07 am »
Settling in for most of the day….

« Reply #13 on: 31 March, 2024, 12:12:40 pm »
I've ridden up the Koppenberg. Well, I tried. Maybe if I'd taken off the panniers first I might have made it all the way to the top?
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #14 on: 31 March, 2024, 01:40:36 pm »
good call, 4 passes, 3 men, 1 women, 1 fan ride and pretty easy to move between points in the hour between each.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #15 on: 31 March, 2024, 01:45:08 pm »
had rained over night cobbles had dried out for first pass but not the fields...
light rain now so everything's wet again.

« Reply #16 on: 31 March, 2024, 02:03:47 pm »
good call, 4 passes, 3 men, 1 women, 1 fan ride and pretty easy to move between points in the hour between each.

👍 I think the women will pass you twice today.