Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2134407 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #12625 on: 07 December, 2017, 11:17:24 pm »
Failed to fettle Dad's Weston light meter. I was rummaging in a cupboard and there it was, except the needle didn't move.  Removed front and rear covers, sucked teeth, recovered any pingfuckits, reassembled it. Still doesn't go.  Well it last saw action about 40 years ago, so I'm not surprised. Frantic googling suggests the selenium cell is U/S.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12626 on: 08 December, 2017, 12:02:40 am »
Installed the studded tyres on my Reasonably Priced Mountain Bicycle.  Hopefully that will ward off the storm.

Also found a random SKS mudflap and, via a diversionary fight to un-jam the pop-riveter, installed it on the left side of barakta's trike, where the mudflap had torn off in an inadequately shaped car boot incident earlier in the year.

« Reply #12627 on: 08 December, 2017, 09:07:52 am »
Hopefully that will ward off the storm.

I had that thought last night after fettling the brakes on the ice-bike

« Reply #12628 on: 08 December, 2017, 10:07:01 pm »
Installed the studded tyres on my Reasonably Priced Mountain Bicycle.  Hopefully that will ward off the storm.

<Ron Howard voice> It did not.

« Reply #12629 on: 09 December, 2017, 06:43:48 pm »
Picked up some Crud Racer 2 mudguards at a knockdown price back in the summer. However, not enough frame clearance meant having to swap the 25mm tyres for 23s to make a bit more space. Found some Lithion 2 folders on offer at Decathlon, red walled too which matches the detailing on the frame. This should be easy.
It wasn't. Two sore thumbs, four pinch-flat p***tures, one new inner tube and Chrinas' reputation as dastardly difficult taken to a new level, several hours and a lot of frustration later and I've winterised the new'un. I hope I never I get a visitation, far from home on a dark night... In all my years I have never ever had such trouble getting tyres onto a rim.
They laughed when I said I was going to be a stand-up comedian. They're not laughing now.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #12630 on: 10 December, 2017, 07:02:40 am »
Yesterday, replaced the rear tube on my fixed during the South of Bucks Winter Warmer. Luckily I replaced it while sitting on a chair in a warm illuminated control, rather than in the muddy verge of a lane in the cold and dark.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #12631 on: 10 December, 2017, 12:28:34 pm »
The last few days, I have been mostly fettling broken toys :/
Getting there...

« Reply #12632 on: 10 December, 2017, 03:55:42 pm »
Been throwing them out of the pram?  :demon:

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #12633 on: 10 December, 2017, 04:36:44 pm »
Splinted a broken leg, on a chair, not my own.

Also worked on my second ever wheel, looking better than the first
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #12634 on: 10 December, 2017, 06:20:01 pm »
Finally got around to tiling for the 'new' downstairs loo.  I say new because we've had it for over a year now but I've only just got round to tiling.   Don the builder can come hopefully before christmas to fit the sink now and full bog commissioning will have happened.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #12635 on: 10 December, 2017, 08:43:31 pm »
Fitted Nokian Haakapellitta W106 studded tyres to the old Kona Fire Mountain.  Not sure whether to ride or drive to work tomorrow - schools are closed (one flake seems to do the trick nowadays)  so maybe traffic will be light.  The car isn't troubled by snow and ice in 4WD.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #12636 on: 11 December, 2017, 08:58:23 am »
Been throwing them out of the pram?  :demon:
>:( :D ;)
Getting there...

« Reply #12637 on: 11 December, 2017, 07:40:03 pm »
Dragged out the box in which I have been collecting (for several years) inner tubes that have suffered some sort of deflation; with the intention of lots of patching - as I bought a big tube of rubber solution the other day, and I've a zillion patches from kits in which the solution dried up prematurely.

There were a few slow punctures, some just needed valve cores screwing in a bit more firmly, others less easy to find.
I was on the third re-inflation of one such when...

The dog gave me a very dirty look, he knows that I know that he doesn't like fireworks and now I bring detonations into the house, before slinking off to his regular hiding place.   

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #12638 on: 11 December, 2017, 09:08:40 pm »
The '94 Kona Kilauea is built and it's utterly beautiful.  24.5lb with bar ends.  Not too shabby for a steel MTB in a reasonably large size.  Fairly period kit (a lot of M737 XT) except for the new Deore V-brakes and hubs.  Built as a 21-speed just so I could use XT thumbshifters.  They only *sort of* work with an 8-speed cassette.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #12639 on: 14 December, 2017, 11:46:54 pm »
Replaced a tumble drier belt. This took two evenings, some bad swears, help from a friend and a small amount of bloodloss.  Let's just say the Espares video is economical with the truth.  Who would have thought the key fixture was a torx screw on the "inside" of the poxy thing? Thank heavens for the bendy extension to the torx driver set.

Only one screw left over, so I'm counting that as a win.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #12640 on: 16 December, 2017, 12:36:44 am »
The '94 Kona Kilauea is built and it's utterly beautiful.  24.5lb with bar ends.  Not too shabby for a steel MTB in a reasonably large size.  Fairly period kit (a lot of M737 XT) except for the new Deore V-brakes and hubs.  Built as a 21-speed just so I could use XT thumbshifters.  They only *sort of* work with an 8-speed cassette.
There'd better be pictures somewhere.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

ElyDave

« Reply #12641 on: 16 December, 2017, 07:28:35 am »
Swapped the stem on the Giant from 100mm to 80mm, will see how it rides today, before I do 100km to and from the hospital on Monday.

Also built myself a dishing tool to continue my wheel building learning.

Edit - it was fine, posture much more relaxed

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12642 on: 16 December, 2017, 10:36:23 am »
Removed a dead elder tree that had collapsed onto the fence of a neighbour's chicken-run. Elder is quite respectable wood once it's as thick as your thigh - you wouldn't know it from the easy-break branches.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #12643 on: 18 December, 2017, 10:46:46 am »
Disconnected, untangled, rerouted and reconnected the birds nest of cables that interconnects the various items of telehoneness, webness, wireless and TV that sit on the shelves in the kitchen. Received much praise from the good doctor to whom I am married.
I might get myself a crimping tool and make the cables the correct length and make a bespoke wiring loom. Of course the completion of such is bound to illicit a mad reorganising frenzy by her thus negating any tidy goodness that a bespoke loom would confer.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #12644 on: 18 December, 2017, 01:20:24 pm »
Replaced the motor in our Dyson DC14. Hugely satisfying.

Then, while using it, I had to move the still-in-their-plastic curtains that have been waiting to be hung for about 3 years, so nipped out for a pole and hung them.

My credit chez nous is pretty good atm.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #12645 on: 18 December, 2017, 01:20:58 pm »
A travel (suitcase style) work light to combat the naff lighting in 93.6% of all rental properties, using 20mm conduit, a couple of bolts and a rubber band. The first version which was meant to be a proof of concept works well enough I may not re-do, just needs the bolts sorting with shakeproof nuts. Total weight 215g, total cost <£5 including the light (eBayed from China)

And collapsed

ElyDave

« Reply #12646 on: 18 December, 2017, 07:01:46 pm »
Trying to work out what happened with my lights this evening. I have a 2xAA flashy "here I am" light and a Chinese 3x Cree led with external battery packs. Charged one last night, but when I connected it about 4 pm this evening, nada!

I've just charged them both again, they now seem to be working, light ok. They are now in the fridge, just to see if they have a massive problem with cold.

« Reply #12647 on: 20 December, 2017, 09:19:36 pm »
Replaced the axle assembly on the winter bike's rear hub. I do find anything involving ball bearings oddly satisfying - and now my hub's running all smoothly with no play. :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12648 on: 20 December, 2017, 10:30:23 pm »
I do find anything involving ball bearings oddly satisfying

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/IvUU8joBb1Q&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/IvUU8joBb1Q&rel=1</a>
https://youtu.be/IvUU8joBb1Q

:)

« Reply #12649 on: 22 December, 2017, 01:15:28 pm »
Unfortunately caught a field mouse today....

I had previously caught him/her in one of those "catchemalive" humane traps but he must have snuck back in before I blocked up his point of entry.

He was cute enough to then avoid the "catchemalive" traps having obviously disliked being discommoded and put outside and plainly equating his discommoding to the "catchemalive" so I had no choice than to lay some snap traps for the little guy.

Pity...................

Not sure that counts as fettling but since I haven't fettled in a while it might.