Author Topic: Richmond Park Lap times - whats good?  (Read 29503 times)

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
Richmond Park Lap times - whats good?
« on: 10 May, 2012, 10:06:00 am »
One for the park lappers - what do we think is a good lap time for a solo non drafting rider?
By that I mean not the paceline times of the dynamo bunch but doing circuits on ones own. I think sub 20m repeated is pretty much the goal,  which I think I used to be able to do on the recumbent when fit, but frankly I never really timed it to perfection.
I would be interested to know what others think.
I have a chum doing the etape and hes currently on 23/4 mins per lap which I think is very slow - is that right?
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Richmond Park Lap times - whats good?
« Reply #1 on: 10 May, 2012, 10:50:44 am »
Including the Hell Riders, or not? ;D
Getting there...

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #2 on: 10 May, 2012, 10:55:07 am »
It's not very slow, no.  But for comparison, when I was training for TRAT, I was told to aim for 21 minutes which is evens all the way round.  I managed it once, with perfect conditions.  Mostly I was between 22 and 24.

I would really really recommend the Powermeter I rented from here.  Sometimes a 'bad' result like 24 minutes is actually a superior power output to your 'good' 21, because you were chugging into a steaming headwind on that nasty gradual up, for example.

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #3 on: 10 May, 2012, 10:58:01 am »
I remember the three lap challenge (TLC) from Bikeradar. Lots of people do three laps in under 60 mins. I never got below 70 mins for the three laps even when I was fitter.
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 10 May, 2012, 11:10:14 am »
I've never had the time to do three laps, though I might manage to fit it in one Monday evening on the way home, since I'm not needed at home so urgently these days (Bass lesson night for TGL).
Getting there...

« Reply #5 on: 10 May, 2012, 11:35:55 am »
3 laps in an hour is a good target. ClockwiseAnti-clockwise is the easier direction to get fast times on. The best I've done is about 64 minutes for 3 laps. Doubt if I'd get anywhere near that right now.

From what I've read of the Etape, I'd agree that 23-24 is a bit slow, but how many laps is he doing at that pace?

« Reply #6 on: 10 May, 2012, 11:58:56 am »
I thought Anti Clockwise was generally considered the faster? 65 minutes was my best. I managed sub 20 for the first 2 laps and blew it on the 3rd  :(

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #7 on: 10 May, 2012, 12:05:12 pm »
Only time I timed it was 19 mins something - flying lap from Ladderstile anticlockwise. That was before they reshaped the road down to Robin Hood making the slope easier. That would be around 1986/87
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #8 on: 10 May, 2012, 12:12:43 pm »
Anti definitely faster - left at all the roundabouts etc.  You also get a good run down Broomfield? Hill and can hold very high speed for a while from it - whereas clockwise the big descent leads you straight into a busy roundabout where you are turning right.

Yep - on a normal road bike (not TT) 60 mins for the three laps is a good target.  I've never quite strung together three good laps to get there (though have done sub 20 minute laps).  At the moment, I am around 22-23 mins per lap - but I am on a heavier, less racy bike than I used to be (excuses, excuses).

If you want to get speedier laps - get there super early in the morning when there is less traffic etc.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #9 on: 10 May, 2012, 12:25:50 pm »
Back when I cared my fastest time was about 21min for a single lap effort, anticlockwise, but TTing round RP on fixed is well iffy, especially descending the hill to robin hood gate. Aside from the suicidal nature of the descent, questions will be asked if you try and hold speed to and thru the RH gate roundabout at the same time as a twenty strong peloton heading in the opposite direction...

« Reply #10 on: 10 May, 2012, 12:34:44 pm »
I thought Anti Clockwise was generally considered the faster?

I meant anti-clockwise, sorry.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #11 on: 10 May, 2012, 04:28:33 pm »
At the risk of being a party pooper, where does the 20 MPH speed limit fit in with these shenanigans?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #12 on: 10 May, 2012, 04:29:25 pm »
I've been pondering that.  I reckon there's no way you'd get near 20min if you obey the law.  I do, so that's me out of contention.
Getting there...

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #13 on: 10 May, 2012, 04:40:24 pm »
I've been pondering that.  I reckon there's no way you'd get near 20min if you obey the law.  I do, so that's me out of contention.

Great excuse. I shall use it on every occasion I am speed-challenged. Which is daily, really!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #14 on: 10 May, 2012, 04:46:53 pm »
Yebbut it only works if your route goes through a Royal Park. ;D

Seriously, it can be very hard to stay below the limit on the descents, especially when cars still overtake when you are at the limit, but the law's the law, and I expect the car drivers to behave there and outside the park, so there's nothing wrong with a bit of self-discipline.
Getting there...

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #15 on: 10 May, 2012, 05:12:08 pm »
Yebbut, 'twas quite fun when that Dave Millar racing-type-chappie averaged 30+ round the Park, hmmm? Damned irresponsible and all that stuff, but great viewing on YouTube (till it was, um, removed!).

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #16 on: 11 May, 2012, 08:40:27 pm »
as the computer/speedometer is not compulsory on bikes, how can i monitor my speed and know if i'm not "braking the law"?

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #17 on: 19 May, 2012, 11:40:44 am »
as the computer/speedometer is not compulsory on bikes, how can i monitor my speed and know if i'm not "braking the law"?

I've often wondered about that, but haven't a few peeps been tugged and given FPNs nonetheless?

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #18 on: 26 May, 2012, 03:18:15 pm »
intrigued by this thread went to richmond park this morning and did three laps (anti-clockwise):

17:51
17:53
====
53:35

then carried on and did the olympic cycle route. 180km for the day - legs feeling it!

edit: i've seen few riders (3-4) with yacf jerseys going opposite direction, but was focussed on my target and didn't say hello. so saying hello now - what a lovely morning to be on a bike!

« Reply #19 on: 26 May, 2012, 03:19:45 pm »
intrigued by this thread went to richmond park this morning and did three laps (anti-clockwise):

17:53
====
53:35

then carried on and did the olympic cycle route. 180km for the day - legs feeling it!

Awesome.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #20 on: 19 August, 2012, 01:33:08 pm »
went there again yesterday -  more traffic, both bikes and cars, than last time. first lap was clear, on the subsequent two i was held up by cars for some time. pleased to set my pb (one lap) and now rank 1st on ridewithgps.com  8)

17:39
18:52
18:23
====
54:54

« Reply #21 on: 22 August, 2012, 02:03:44 pm »
I'm sure when you get your new carbon fixed built up that you could get the record for that too.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #22 on: 22 August, 2012, 08:39:53 pm »
it will be interesting to compare, but i reckon it will be slower by about a minute over three laps on this course. however ss bike will materialise after little while, as i want to learn and build the wheels, and the spokes i want are not for sale yet (silver sapim d-light), maybe late autumn or early spring.

« Reply #23 on: 28 November, 2012, 12:57:19 pm »
17:28 on a tandem. A couple of cars in the way. I think we could knock 10-15 seconds off.
Sadly my wife did not enjoy the experience & has informed me that there will be no further attempts.

The demon Strava lists the fastest time as 15:11. Avg: 42.6 kmh  / 26.5 mph   ...humbling:
http://app.strava.com/segments/610040

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #24 on: 29 November, 2012, 10:06:28 pm »
haha, nice one! your tandem wheel would be a good one to suck.