Author Topic: What is that word?  (Read 5776 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: What is that word?
« Reply #25 on: 21 May, 2019, 12:20:32 pm »
'Walled garden.'

Whether it's a bad thing depend on your perspective. At least with a wall you don't have to worry about local drunk taking a dump in your flower bed on his way home from the pub.

We build the wall to keep us free :demon:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #26 on: 21 May, 2019, 01:08:44 pm »
To be honest, I've never really understood it – you can run whatever apps and use whatever devices you want, there's no actual restriction.

« Reply #27 on: 21 May, 2019, 01:19:20 pm »
Not the word you're thinking of, I'm sure, but, used in the distinctly pejorative sense and not wholly appropriately, 'hegemony' is a good one. (Annoyingly, Appleophiles would probably like that though :-\ )

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #28 on: 21 May, 2019, 01:24:45 pm »
'Co-prosperity Sphere' was the term favoured by Japan during their 1930s expansion.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #29 on: 21 May, 2019, 01:35:24 pm »
To be honest, I've never really understood it – you can run whatever apps and use whatever devices you want, there's no actual restriction.

Of course there is.  Half the time if you want to use foo, you have to run it on a bar.  Such is the joy of standards.

If you can get everything you need to work in a baz ecosystem, then great.  Otherwise you have to expend time/brainpower/money mucking about with multiple platforms to get everything done.  How else could you explain the continued popularity of Microsoft Windows?  It's not like it's actually pleasant to use - its overwhelming advantage is that you can generally get the software you need to run on it, and most people only have enough fucks for learning a maximum of maybe two OSes.

« Reply #30 on: 22 May, 2019, 01:23:46 pm »
Those are all used, but it’s not quite the one we are looking for... but very close to ecosystem.

I feel like I've dropped into a parallel universe. I'm at a loss as to why ecological terms would be transferred wholesale to apply to IT systems. To me, ecosystem is how biological and non-biological components of an environment interact with each other, with nutrient and energy cycling. I can't get me head around how that would apply in IT. But in the interests of looking for your word, close words to ecosystem would be habitat or biome. 

« Reply #31 on: 22 May, 2019, 01:24:42 pm »
How about technosphere  :)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #32 on: 22 May, 2019, 01:31:06 pm »
How about technosphere  :)

That's the disco balls at a warehouse rave.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #33 on: 22 May, 2019, 07:22:53 pm »

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #34 on: 22 May, 2019, 07:51:21 pm »
Those are all used, but it’s not quite the one we are looking for... but very close to ecosystem.

I feel like I've dropped into a parallel universe. I'm at a loss as to why ecological terms would be transferred wholesale to apply to IT systems. To me, ecosystem is how biological and non-biological components of an environment interact with each other, with nutrient and energy cycling.
I think the idea is that products from this manufacturer have now become a sprawling, inter-dependent set of components that interact via various signals/nutrients, and once immersed in them, one can ignore all things outside the sphere!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #35 on: 22 May, 2019, 07:53:42 pm »
Like most IT terms that aren't acronyms, it's a metaphor.  Naming things is, after all, one of the two hard problems[1] in computer science.

[1] The others being cache invalidation and off-by-one errors.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #36 on: 23 May, 2019, 12:29:27 pm »
Paradigm?  Take two before breakfast to ensure luscious hair, financial contentment and a cold wet nose.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #37 on: 23 May, 2019, 12:52:02 pm »
Paradigm?

ObligDilbert: https://dilbert.com/search_results?terms=paradigm

(Some of the strips cry out for cross-posting to the management BS bingo thread.  :demon: )
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #38 on: 23 May, 2019, 12:54:30 pm »
Not the word you're thinking of, I'm sure, but, used in the distinctly pejorative sense and not wholly appropriately, 'hegemony' is a good one. (Annoyingly, Appleophiles would probably like that though :-\ )
Ooh! Thanks. That was the word I was trying to think of when trying to get to the word Auntie Helen was trying to think of, knowing that it probably wasn't quite right, but was nearer than 'behemoth' and 'monolith'.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #39 on: 23 May, 2019, 01:05:45 pm »
Paradigm?  Take two before breakfast to ensure luscious hair, financial contentment and a cold wet nose.

OI! I said that on page 1
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #40 on: 23 May, 2019, 01:33:31 pm »
Hegemony?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #41 on: 23 May, 2019, 01:52:16 pm »
Hegemony?

I think that one only applies when it's Microsoft :)

« Reply #42 on: 23 May, 2019, 04:09:47 pm »
Isn't hege money what ESL earns from time to time?

« Reply #43 on: 23 May, 2019, 06:14:04 pm »
Isn't hege money what ESL earns from time to time?
Your coat awaits you. ;)

Phil W

« Reply #44 on: 23 May, 2019, 06:38:03 pm »
Ecology
Environment

« Reply #45 on: 23 May, 2019, 08:30:06 pm »
Infrastructure ?
Rust never sleeps

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #46 on: 23 May, 2019, 08:37:18 pm »
Infrastructure ?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/XTopVi1hVVM&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/XTopVi1hVVM&rel=1</a>
https://youtu.be/XTopVi1hVVM

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #47 on: 24 May, 2019, 08:26:31 pm »
** Shot in the dark cos I haven't got a clue, really**

Pantheon...?
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #48 on: 25 May, 2019, 09:17:43 am »
Cult?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #49 on: 25 May, 2019, 09:27:08 am »
Echo chamber?
Milk please, no sugar.