Linked Events

• WARTY: 21 February, 2009

Author Topic: Announcing the WARTY.  (Read 81939 times)

annie

Re: Announcing the WARTY.
« Reply #100 on: 07 January, 2009, 11:44:27 pm »
Excellent news Tim.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #101 on: 07 January, 2009, 11:44:55 pm »
It'll be full of cyclists - us!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #102 on: 08 January, 2009, 12:08:29 am »
I think Mrs. Wow and I will either aim for the earlier train, or stick the bike on the back of the car. 8.08 gets into Marks Tey with a change at Shenfield.

The 9.02 in Shenfield is a Peterborough-bound train. I think that has quite a lot of carriages. The 8.42 is bound for Harwich. I don't know how many carriages that train has.

Sod it, it shouldn't be a problem.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #103 on: 08 January, 2009, 08:27:16 am »
Aye, from Liverpool Street there's the 0818 arriving Marks Tey at 0910, then the 0838 arriving 0929.  Depending on how good my l33t navigational skillz are, I may well be on the 0818, following a dsh from London bridge.   
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #104 on: 08 January, 2009, 09:34:16 am »
Since Wowbaggers map is a bit chunky, and doesn't work ideally with my Active-10 GPS (which will just overlay the GPX onto the OS mapping), I took his map, re-input it into Bike Route Toaster using the Auto-Route following bit, then output it and simplified it using GPS Babel.

This map follows the route a bit closer, but has 300 data points.  This is OK for the Active-10, but may be a bit much for other GPS's, unless you want to follow the route more exactly, and don't just need junction information (which Wows provides adequately).
I'm also a Satmap A10 user. I don't seem to able to download this route as a .gpx file. This may have something to do with not being registered on Bike Route Toaster - is that a requirement?

« Reply #105 on: 08 January, 2009, 11:22:50 am »
I'm also a Satmap A10 user. I don't seem to able to download this route as a .gpx file. This may have something to do with not being registered on Bike Route Toaster - is that a requirement?

Hmm, that's odd.  I'm not logged into it at the moment, and if I go to the Summary Screen and hit the link for "Download / To File / gpx" it prompts me to save the file (and always calls it course.gpx no matter what I put in the "Course Name" box on that page).  Opening the file in an editor it looks OK, but I haven't actually loaded it into the Active 10, since I'm and work, and it isn't.

You can try and grab it from here on my server, which should prompt you to save the file (since i haven't bothered to configure the server for the correct Mime type for GPX, whatever that is).  This is the identical file, I just downloaded it from Bike Route Toaster myself.

Aye, from Liverpool Street there's the 0818 arriving Marks Tey at 0910, then the 0838 arriving 0929.  Depending on how good my l33t navigational skillz are, I may well be on the 0818, following a dsh from London bridge.   

I assume based on these times (I haven't checked the timetable myself) that NSTN et al are planning on getting the 8-38?  Since the meeting time suggested was 8-15, that three minutes before the train leaves isn't really enough to get the tickets and get on the train?!

I was toying with the idea of being lazy and getting the train from East Croydon to London Bridge, but at that time of the morning I suspect it'll be pretty busy, and jamming a bicycle on could quite possibly be a non-starter.  It's probably easier (in the long run) to cycle all the way to Liverpool Street.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #106 on: 08 January, 2009, 11:32:43 am »
Tim, I've often caught the train from Forest Hill to London Bridge early on a Saturday morning, they're usually pretty quiet, and taking a bike on isn't a problem.

« Reply #107 on: 08 January, 2009, 11:34:37 am »
Tim, I've often caught the train from Forest Hill to London Bridge early on a Saturday morning, they're usually pretty quiet, and taking a bike on isn't a problem.

Doh.  Even though it's a Saturday morning I was still thinking "Early morning -> Rush hour -> Busy". :-[

Still, it's only a 11 or so mile cycle, I do the same distance every working day, and it'll save me £5 !

« Reply #108 on: 08 January, 2009, 12:06:31 pm »
Yep it's the 8.38 I'm after; not getting up any earlier than that on a weekend I'm afraid, I'm lazy like that.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #109 on: 08 January, 2009, 01:16:49 pm »
Poo!  I can't make it as I have to be in Salisbury for family duties.

No WARTY for me then....  :'(
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #110 on: 08 January, 2009, 02:46:59 pm »
Yep it's the 8.38 I'm after; not getting up any earlier than that on a weekend I'm afraid, I'm lazy like that.

Well, I'll probably have to get up a couple of hours earlier than I would in the week!

alan

« Reply #111 on: 08 January, 2009, 04:01:30 pm »
Poo!  I can't make it as I have to be in Salisbury for family duties.

No WARTY for me then....  :'(

I'll give you a wave as I pass through en route to Southampton :thumbsup:

« Reply #112 on: 08 January, 2009, 08:19:03 pm »
I've seen a brilliant pink ski suit in a charity shop in Braintree, bad 80's style - so bad it's good. Who thinks I should buy it tomorrow and wear it on Saturday? :D

annie

« Reply #113 on: 08 January, 2009, 08:20:28 pm »
I've seen a brilliant pink ski suit in a charity shop in Braintree, bad 80's style - so bad it's good. Who thinks I should buy it and wear it on Saturday? :D

Please do.  I am tempted to wear something a bit silly.  I have some red, waterproof, dungaree stylee thingies, they look dreadful and are like a boil in the bag suit.  They are most unflattering and the only reason I got them is because Nutkin made me buy them so she could buy the dayglo pink armwarmers.

« Reply #114 on: 08 January, 2009, 08:22:47 pm »
Cool. 8)

I reserve the right to change my mind and bottle it at the last minute...

annie

« Reply #115 on: 09 January, 2009, 01:08:03 pm »
The pub have kindly asked me if I can get as many orders for food before tomorrow.

Please see attached and let me know your choice.

Many thanks

Homemade soup of the day served with half a warm baguette   £3.75      
Lemon Sole Goujons served with salad and Tartar sauce dip   £4.50      
Deep Fried Breaded Mushrooms served with a garlic mayonnaise dip   £4.25      
Classic Prawn Cocktail served with brown bread and butter   £4.50      
Buffalo Mozzarella served with salad leaves, sun dried tomatoes and basil   £4.50      
Ardennes Pâté served with toast   £4.25      
Smoked Salmon Salad served with a  cream cheese and chive dressing   £4.50      
Breaded Brie Salad served with a sweet chilli dressing   £4.25   

Main Course

(all beef locally sourced and supplied by D K Smith Family Butchers Great Bardfield      
14oz T-Bone Steak
8oz Fillet Steak   £15.95
£14.95      
8oz Sirloin Steak   £12.50      
8oz Rump Steak   £10.95      
Gammon Steak with Egg and Pineapple   £9.25      
All served with chips, grilled mushrooms, grilled tomato, and salad garnish         
Duck Breast in a honey glaze, served with new potatoes and fresh seasonal vegetables   £10.75      
Salmon Fillet in a lemon and dill sauce served with new potatoes and fresh seasonal vegetables
Traditional Cod and Chips served with  peas or mushy peas   £9.25      
Breaded Wholetail Scampi served with peas or mushy peas   £8.50      
6oz Beef Burger, with cheese served with side salad and chips   £7.95      
Beef Bourguignon served with new potatoes and fresh seasonal vegetables   £8.75      
Fowlers Farm Pork Sausages and Mash with Onion Gravy served with fresh seasonal vegetables   £8.75      
Grilled Chicken Fillet in a creamy mushroom and white wine sauce served with new potatoes and fresh seasonal vegetables   £9.75      
Mushroom Stroganoff (v) served with rice and salad
Sun dried Tomato and Mozzarella Pasta served with garlic bread and salad   £8.25
£8.25      
Home made Curry of The Day please see blackboards for details   £8.95      

Extras and side orders         
Pepper sauce
Chips
Cheesy Chips   £1.00
£1.75
£2.25   Side salad
Coleslaw
Wedges   £2.50
£1.25
£1.75   Garlic bread
Garlic bread with cheese
Onion Rings   £1.95
£2.45
£1.50   

Desserts

Spotted Dick   £3.95      
Sticky Toffee Pudding   £3.95      
Rum and Black Cherry Chocolate Roulade   £3.95      
Baked Blueberry Crumble Cheesecake   £3.95      
Mixed Ice Cream   £2.75      
Cheese and Biscuits   £4.50      
Coffee   £1.50   

In addition we will have the following Specials:

Chilli and rice - 8.25
Beef Madras - 8.95
Ham, Egg & Chips - 7.95
Beef Lasagne - 8.96
Vegetable Lasagne - 8.95

« Reply #116 on: 09 January, 2009, 01:14:26 pm »
I've just been down to the hospice charity shop. The brilliant pink ski suit was a ladies size 6 - I'm at least a size 8 ;), and they wanted £15 for it, for £10 I might have been tempted, as is, it's still in the window on Braintree High Street.

Annie, I'll have the chilli and rice please.

Also, HAPPY B'DAY!

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #117 on: 09 January, 2009, 01:22:31 pm »
Happy Birthday Annie! I will also, in the spirit of things, try to wear something silly..

Please could I order the sausage and mash. Diolch yn fawr!

« Reply #118 on: 09 January, 2009, 02:04:12 pm »
Can I have the scampi (I assume that comes with chips, if not I want chips!) and mushy peas, thanks ever so much for organising.

annie

« Reply #119 on: 09 January, 2009, 02:05:53 pm »
Thanks for the orders so far.  If the rest of you kind folks want to pm me with your orders that will be great.

Thanks

Annie

« Reply #120 on: 09 January, 2009, 02:06:22 pm »
Can I also put in an order for Sausage and Mash, and can I also order Spotted Dick for pudding (no comments please!)

Thanks for organising things Annie, especially when it's meant to be your Birthday. :-\

annie

« Reply #121 on: 09 January, 2009, 02:08:37 pm »
Can I also put in an order for Sausage and Mash, and can I also order Spotted Dick for pudding (no comments please!)

Thanks for organising things Annie, especially when it's meant to be your Birthday. :-\

You are very welcome.

I intend to make my birthday last until Sunday evening.  Today is a day for other people.  Am trying to make myself look as jolly as possible for the funeral so adding touches of red to the outfit seem somewhat appropriate.

Must dash.

RogerT

• Playing with a big steamy thing
« Reply #122 on: 09 January, 2009, 02:35:37 pm »
chilli 4 me

« Reply #123 on: 09 January, 2009, 03:05:46 pm »
I'm afraid I'm going to change my  status from a 'maybe' to a 'not likely'.
Having just returned from half an hour in the great outdoors, my face, hands and feet do not make good bedfellows with the brutally cold  temperature.

My recent acquisition from Maplins tells me that the air temperature at 0.3m above ground level is
currently 1.5°C.
That is at the sunniest point of the day.

Sorry I'll not be there y'all.
Enjoy the ride.

J

« Reply #124 on: 09 January, 2009, 03:27:26 pm »
Temps of 0 degrees forecast for tomorrow.

What's the likelihood of ice on the roads we'll be taking, does anyone know? Living where I do I've not had to deal with ice so far... :-\