Author Topic: 'Knee' issue...  (Read 1548 times)

'Knee' issue...
« on: 28 March, 2014, 08:46:17 am »
I've been getting some ache at the back of my right knee after, I don't know ~50km+.   Not too bad, but uncomfortable.  Any ideas what would help (apart from not cycling this distance  ;)); good gels/stretch supports?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

JamesBradbury

• The before-ride picture is even worse
    • James Thinks
Re: Knee issue...
« Reply #1 on: 28 March, 2014, 08:55:44 am »
The usual bike fit advice for back of the knee pain is that the saddle is too high.

If the front of your knee hurts, the saddle is too low.

No doubt there may be other reasons, but this is the first thing to try.

I'd suggest moving it down just 5mm at first and seeing if it makes any difference. It may take some fine tuning to get it just right.

« Reply #2 on: 28 March, 2014, 08:57:40 am »
The usual bike fit advice for back of the knee pain is that the saddle is too high.

If the front of your knee hurts, the saddle is too low.

No doubt there may be other reasons, but this is the first thing to try.

I'd suggest moving it down just 5mm at first and seeing if it makes any difference. It may take some fine tuning to get it just right.

Thanks JB - will give this a go...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3 on: 28 March, 2014, 09:14:32 am »
Apart from the setup changes, try getting off the bike and stretching your hamstrings - also do this when you are off anyway, e.g. for a pee or a feed.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #4 on: 28 March, 2014, 11:59:48 am »
Mebbe worth adding to that - stretch *after* the muscles/tendons have warmed up, not before.

« Reply #5 on: 29 March, 2014, 07:09:19 pm »
Lowered the saddle, and back of knee/upper calf still ached a bit after 25-30km today.  Did try a bit of 'stretching' en route, but wasn't really sure what was best.  At around 50km it almost eased off a bit.  Still a bit tight a few hours after my 60km.  Wondering whether I should seek a physio on this, just to nip whatever it is, in the bud. 

Left leg is absolutely fine.  Actually it's probably not a knee issue as such, probably more muscle ligaments attaching in that area.  Not sure though.  Probably need to partake of Ibuprofen or summat for a 200km.