Author Topic: Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake  (Read 1231 times)

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake
« on: 25 April, 2019, 02:26:05 pm »
We're going to see the all-male version of Swan Lake at Hull New Theatre tonight. A special treat for us both. I've not been to the ballet before and I'm not 100% sure what to expect, but Carol reckons it is going to be dramatic. There won't be time for me to post my experience until next week due to audaxing over the weekend, but I'll share my memories of it next week.

Re: Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake
« Reply #1 on: 25 April, 2019, 02:56:10 pm »
You'll love it, it's simply stunning, especially the climactic scene  :thumbsup: One of those dance experiences that stay with you.  Along (for me) with Ramberts "Ghost Dances" about the disappeared in South America.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2 on: 25 April, 2019, 03:13:43 pm »
The Ballet Rambert's Ghost Dances was the piece that began my enjoyment of dance.  Saw it in Brum many years ago.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

ian

« Reply #3 on: 25 April, 2019, 03:34:05 pm »
My wife really enjoyed it, though I fear she omitted to mention 'all male' at any point in her description.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #4 on: 26 April, 2019, 09:45:23 am »
My wife really enjoyed it, though I fear she omitted to mention 'all male' at any point in her description.

It wasn't as 'all male' as I had heard...

This was a treat for Carol, unfortunately her ME prevented her from going. I knew nothing about Swan Lake and it was my first trip to the ballet too. I really enjoyed last night and the only thing which would have made it better would have been sitting next to Carol. Oh well.

I suspect that a lot of contemporary interpretation has gone into this production. The scene in the "Swank" club was brilliantly done and I think some of the raunchy bits were less suitable for the younger audience members. Humour was present throughout the first half, and there was a pointedly funny moment when a dancer's mobile phone went off.

The all male Swans were intimidating in their deliberate moves, very coherent and the intimacy of the lead male Swan and the Prince character was convincing.

The second half was darker - and the dramatic final scenes had me hooked. Brilliant.

Hull New Theatre gave a standing ovation and the ballet took maybe a dozen bows before the curtain finally dropped. I'm very pleased I went.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #5 on: 11 May, 2019, 10:51:39 am »
Oh! Matthew Bourne.

Was kind of expecting extreme unarmed combat set to Tchaikovsky . . .

VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #6 on: 11 May, 2019, 12:22:31 pm »
So was I, when I took a class of children from a secondary school on a council estate in St. Ockton to see the Nureyev film of same.  But they loved it and it took me days to recover from the shock.