Author Topic: Updating OSM Maps  (Read 9282 times)

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
Re: Updating OSM Maps
« Reply #25 on: 07 November, 2009, 11:52:31 pm »
I think that's because that data was imported from a public data set. It's data that can't be easily tracked on the ground.

French rules mean you can, in theory, use Cadastre (the formal state uber-map) and trace every building.  Cadastre is available as a plugin for JOSM.  In the summer I bumped into a holiday apartment chap who was doing just that for his lets.

+1 I have heard the same story.

There was a story about OSM a few weeks ago in Ouest France which is a popular local paper (more popular than the national titles!) so coverage may improve with time.
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #26 on: 13 November, 2009, 10:58:55 am »
The error in displaying roads that I mentioned earlier is still there.  It is correct in 'view' but is displaying correctly in 'edit'.

see here

Can I do anything to correct?  Is it possible to delete the roads and redraw them?  Is there a fault reporting procedure?  As Craig says it's only in OSM 'View' that the problem occurs, Osmarender (whatever that is) is displaying correctly.

I have downloaded the area and edited sections in JOSM but to no effect.

(PS there is an entire road missing in OSM that is there in Osmarender!)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #27 on: 13 November, 2009, 11:02:19 am »
That  *is* weird, never seen that.  Have you made any edits along that road?  Doing so might tickle the renderer into doing it again.  I can't at work 'cos my PC has a sad.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #28 on: 13 November, 2009, 11:14:11 am »
Have you made any edits along that road?

Yes, both in JOSM and OSM!  However OSM 'Edit' is suffering SAD at the moment so cannot tweak the road to double check.

Richard Fairhurst

• on the trail of the little blue stickers
« Reply #29 on: 13 November, 2009, 01:06:18 pm »
Super secret insider tip (ish):

You can force a tile to rerender on Mapnik (the default OSM rendering) by right-clicking it and 'open in new window'.

Get the URL that appears, append /dirty to the end, and press enter. The tile will be re-added to the rendering queue. I've just done it for that weirdy straight road, assuming that's the one you're talking about.
cycle.travel - maps and route-planner

« Reply #30 on: 23 November, 2009, 12:19:27 pm »
None of the tips for encouraging the map tiles to update seemed to work but time has worked.  The map is now displaying correctly!

I've finished all the roads that we rode over the summer I now have to go in and mark up village/town names etc.

Early on in this exercise I asked what's stopping one from taking a trace from a mapping website and using that to update the OSM - the answer may well be cpoyright but it is also that OSM looks for date stamps in the gpx file that a GPS unit would generate and that are not there in a route derived from a website.  I know this 'cos I tried to upload the wrong file!! :-[

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #31 on: 23 November, 2009, 06:18:16 pm »
I encountered a bit of an impasse a couple of days ago.

When adding stuff (using Potlach in 'offline' mode), I'm not above moving an existing feature to fit if:
a) I'm sure my GPS track is good (ie not compromised by trees etc)
b) there's no 'source=' tag on the existing info, or it is clearly rough in some way

At this location
Permalink, New Mills in Derbyshire
the terrain is highly 3-dimensional - a small gorge with the town wrapped round it and bridges criss-crossing - and I was getting into 5 layers to try to resolve everything correctly - however its all broken because of the existing mapped railway line, which is in the wrong place (in all 3 dimensions).  Its in the same wrong place on Mapsource Metroguide, I happen to notice.

The rail line is tagged "source=NPE" which inhibits me from adjusting it.  As it happens, because of the steep terrain I wouldn't call the GPS track as good as I would usually expect, so even if the rail line were not tagged with a source I'd still be thinking twice about it.

What's the protocol for resolving something like this?

PS also how would you tag a 0.5Kw 0.5MW hydroelectric power station?
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #32 on: 23 November, 2009, 06:25:55 pm »
NPE is not gospel.  NPE is a fairly low-resolution map, so it's not uncommon to be a little bit out, and the local alignment of the map tiles and physical space is often worse in crinkly terrain.  I've corrected a few myself, where (for example) the track has been thirty or forty meters off from the NPE-derived track.

If your GPS and survey better reflects the 'ground truth', go for it.  That's the OSM strength!  :thumbsup:

As for power: Tag:power=generator - OpenStreetMap

power=generator
power_source=hydro

OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #33 on: 23 November, 2009, 10:54:06 pm »
... where (for example) the track has been thirty or forty meters off from the NPE-derived track.
power=generator
power_source=hydro

Ta, I'll try that.

Yeah - 30-40m off, is just about what it is.

« Reply #34 on: 28 November, 2009, 11:36:50 pm »
NPE is not gospel.  NPE is a fairly low-resolution map, so it's not uncommon to be a little bit out, and the local alignment of the map tiles and physical space is often worse in crinkly terrain.  I've corrected a few myself, where (for example) the track has been thirty or forty meters off from the NPE-derived track.

If your GPS and survey better reflects the 'ground truth', go for it.  That's the OSM strength!  :thumbsup:

As for power: Tag:power=generator - OpenStreetMap

power=generator
power_source=hydro

NPE not gospel indeed.  But what would you do re this NPE Roman Road import?

OpenStreetMap | Way | 26311321

If you look at the OS map linky you can see that it crosses the B269 in a straight line, instead of turning and stopping.

There's nothing (obvious) on the ground to prove this, but looking at the course of the Roman Road on any map, and seeing the obvious evidence of the roads that are still dead straight (such as through Edenbridge) puts this to "Common Sense".

But how to edit?   I haven't touched it as I want OSM to be as factual as possible.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #35 on: 30 November, 2009, 10:38:41 pm »
Local knowledge trumps old maps.  The NPE seems to be flat wrong - either a drawing error or a change in the Known Archaeology (though like you say, Roman roads are hardly a source of mystery!).

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #36 on: 30 November, 2009, 11:19:45 pm »
the existing mapped railway line, which is in the wrong place (in all 3 dimensions).
The rail line is tagged "source=NPE"

Hmm, well I resolved it because (purely by chance) I did a return trip along that rail line last weekend - so switched the GPS on both ways - and that sorted it out nicely.

Now, a tunnel (level -1) which is actually about 15m higher than a bridge (level +1) can peacably co-exist instead of criss-crossing each other ...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #37 on: 03 December, 2009, 01:55:09 pm »
The OSX users might find this interesting.

Welcome to Mapzen | The easy use OpenStreetMap editor

I've only used OSM in passing, so can't pass comment!
It is simpler than it looks.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #38 on: 14 June, 2011, 04:42:49 pm »
Is it just me that go all geeky when you find a new bit of road that isn't OSM?
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #39 on: 14 June, 2011, 06:53:52 pm »
I still do, but it's rarer and rarer!

« Reply #40 on: 14 June, 2011, 06:55:44 pm »
That reminds me, I need to check whether a road in South Croydon is still missing from OSM.  I noticed it a while back, and it would be cool to add it in. :)
Actually, it is rocket science.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #41 on: 14 June, 2011, 06:57:32 pm »
Is it just me that go all geeky when you find a new bit of road that isn't OSM?

Have you fixed Denmark yet?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #42 on: 14 June, 2011, 06:58:20 pm »
I found a little pocket in Denmark, if I had the time I could draw(with the GPS) up a whole area. I know an area here in the UK, not telling, cause it's mine !!!

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #43 on: 14 June, 2011, 07:00:01 pm »
wow: yes I just added that road I found, though checking OSM with Google Map I can see there are more roads to do.

« Reply #44 on: 14 June, 2011, 07:12:45 pm »
The Junction Turns restrictions editor in MapZen would be a good idea, except the only places I want to use it, there are different restrictions for different vehicles.  Bicycles, taxis, buses, and trams can go in some directions that cars generally aren't allowed to go.

I guess I can do all this manually, but that defeats the object of a nice pretty GUI editor. :-\
Actually, it is rocket science.