Author Topic: Random audax questions  (Read 391198 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Random audax questions
« Reply #750 on: 05 January, 2015, 08:57:37 pm »
Thanks, that's what I thought but wanted to be sure. In fact, it looks like I can't get the ECE down to less than 60km per leg, so am doubting its feasibility (for me) on grey morning in early Feb.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #751 on: 06 January, 2015, 12:39:50 am »
On the ECE, not only do you get the time for the extra length in the ECE bit, but the overall allowance is calculated at 14.3km/h.

If you set off at 07:00 you'd have (60+100+60)/14.3=15h23m so would have to be home again by 22:23. I reckon you could get a fair bit of hanging round and cake-eating done in that time.

« Reply #752 on: 06 January, 2015, 08:45:30 am »
Beaten to it by js (thanks). Do note the 14.3, it can make a significant difference compared to 15.0.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #753 on: 06 January, 2015, 11:16:23 am »
Cheers, I hadn't noticed the minimum speed was different.

The real problem, of course, is motivating myself to get up so early on a cold, dark February morning.  :-\ If only there were cafes open at that time, it would be so much easier! Keep going till the next cup of tea and slice of cake or beans on toast!

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #754 on: 06 January, 2015, 11:27:02 am »

The real problem, of course, is motivating myself to get up so early on a cold, dark February morning.  :-\ If only there were cafes open at that time, it would be so much easier! Keep going till the next cup of tea and slice of cake or beans on toast!

Nah, just don't go to bed, and soon you get bored and WANT to get out on the bike  8)
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #755 on: 06 January, 2015, 12:14:15 pm »

I enjoy riding to the start of events when I can, even though this sometimes means setting off at about 3am. It sounds like a rough deal, but starting from home at 3am is much better than starting an event at that time (as some 300s do), because you don't have to factor in travel time to get to the start.

Also, riding to the start is much easier from a morale point of view than being faced with having to ride extra distance at the end of a calendar event. I rarely feel like riding home after an event, whatever distance, and usually get the train.

On the other hand, if you add the distance to the end of the calendar event rather than before, you don't have the guesswork element of how much time to allow.

I don't do ECE anyway - my sole reason for riding to the start is simply that I prefer not to drive if I can help it.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #756 on: 06 January, 2015, 12:22:36 pm »

If I'm riding any distance to a calendar event, I tend to treat the start HQ as a cafe control :)

Most events won't do substantial breakfasts (although a few do), so I take something with me, and generally blag a mug of tea to wash it down.

Its no fun riding 60km to a cold car-park start with no facilities.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #757 on: 06 January, 2015, 08:41:35 pm »
Sorry was not clear

http://www.aukweb.net/diy/ece/

There is a faq link at bottom that does not work.

Link now fixed.

« Reply #758 on: 06 January, 2015, 09:21:06 pm »
Link now fixed.

:)  Thanks Pete (for that and much else).

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #759 on: 06 January, 2015, 09:23:27 pm »

+1  I was going to ride to the start of the Poor Student on Saturday and was very glad that I wimped out.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #760 on: 06 January, 2015, 11:13:48 pm »

+1  I was going to ride to the start of the Poor Student on Saturday and was very glad that I wimped out.
for future ref, its worth noting the luxurious services about 200m away.

(a far more sensible start point IMHO )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #761 on: 07 January, 2015, 12:43:22 pm »
Also, riding to the start is much easier from a morale point of view than being faced with having to ride extra distance at the end of a calendar event. I rarely feel like riding home after an event, whatever distance, and usually get the train.

On the other hand, if you add the distance to the end of the calendar event rather than before, you don't have the guesswork element of how much time to allow.

I don't do ECE anyway - my sole reason for riding to the start is simply that I prefer not to drive if I can help it.
Comes to the same thing - my reason for riding to the start is that I prefer not to drive, because I don't have a car! When the start's in a little place with no railway, riding is the only way to get there - and back. I'm not really too fussed about the points, TBH.

Hmm, I suppose if I'm going to do this kind of thing regularly, it might be worth looking into car hire - and remembering how to drive!

« Reply #762 on: 10 January, 2015, 05:38:12 pm »
Is the max time for a 200k BRM 13h30?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #763 on: 10 January, 2015, 05:39:16 pm »
Yes, regardless of overdistance.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #764 on: 13 January, 2015, 10:35:49 pm »
Can anyone recommend a front light that can take a 5v usb charge so can power it on the go through the night via a power monkey   Needless to say it needs to be bright :)
Season 1 - 211 AAA Points, 120 Club points,  PBP 72h, ISR, Welsh SR, Easter Arrow, Hyper Rand, AAA Champion, ACB Team and CTC champions

« Reply #765 on: 08 February, 2015, 11:47:09 am »
Can anyone recommend a front light that can take a 5v usb charge so can power it on the go through the night via a power monkey   Needless to say it needs to be bright :)

No.  I have a Moon XP500 (since superseded).  It can be charged with a usb battery, but it won't turn on while it is charging.  My solution was to buy 2 spare batteries (around £15@) to go through the night.  I'm sure you can do the same with the newer models.

(It's a bit of a faff charging them, as you have to insert each in the light, charge it, then the next - but I only ever use the spare batteries a couple of times a year, so I can live with it.)

Edit - No light will be waterproof with the USB port open, so if it rained most of the night, you would not be able to recharge your light.

« Reply #766 on: 08 February, 2015, 12:06:00 pm »

You could buy 2 identical lights to have one charging while the other one is in use.
However wouldn't you be better off just using rechargeable batteries in something like a Hope Vision and just changing them over?

« Reply #767 on: 26 February, 2015, 09:26:31 pm »
Could a DIY be created for an Everesting attempt and AAA points claimed for the 8,848m?

« Reply #768 on: 26 February, 2015, 10:05:23 pm »
(Is there something that can be added to what's been said on the AAA Points thread? Actually, I hope so!)

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=10426.550

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #769 on: 27 February, 2015, 04:48:02 pm »
I thought hill reps and repeat loops were out for AAA.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #770 on: 27 February, 2015, 05:02:14 pm »
Repeating hill climbs in a perm are a long way from where Audax started - long point-to-point events.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #771 on: 27 February, 2015, 05:19:33 pm »
Repeating hill climbs in a perm are a long way from where Audax started - long point-to-point events.

So's 60km AAA DIY's

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #772 on: 27 February, 2015, 05:28:23 pm »
Can you guess what I think about them?

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #773 on: 27 February, 2015, 05:31:52 pm »
Um......just give me a minute to think about that.

hillbilly

« Reply #774 on: 27 February, 2015, 10:27:33 pm »
I thought hill reps and repeat loops were out for AAA.

You would struggle to get a route accepted where the minimum distance was "up an down hill 10 times".  And it is frowned upon (as per LWaBs post, whose view I share) but there is nothing in the current AAA rules against including hill reps etc within a brevet provided you complete the rest of it (the controls for which dictate the minimum distance) in time.  Ditto loops.