Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Ethanol is toxic to yeast above a certain concentration and it's unlikely that a wild yeast in the fruit compote would be tolerant of a high booziness.

It's certainly the main reason beers are limited in their alcohol content - not many ale yeasts can cope with the conditions. Although some wild (lambic) ale yeasts can tolerate very high alcohol levels (>11%).

The seriously high alcohol beers like BrewDog's Tactical Nuclear Penguin (32%) are created by removing some of the water post-fermentation.
Ctrl-Alt-Del / Re: Booking flight on http website
« Last post by Afasoas on Today at 01:37:14 pm »
It's bad practice but probably not anything to worry about*, because what happens next is that all the information you've entered into the booking form is sent back to you by e-mail  ::-).

* except CC details, obv.

Which again would be in breach if it includes personal data. Hence many organisations will feature a link allowing you to log-in and view the booking confirmation, or encourage you to download an app so that they can collect event more personal data legally and sell it on.
OT Knowledge / Re: Ebay best offers
« Last post by citoyen on Today at 01:33:40 pm »
It pays to not panic with eBay.

Sensible advice.

I was thinking of making a counter offer of £35 but it's not like I'm in a desperate hurry to sell so maybe I'll just leave it a bit longer.

If you don’t get a reasonable price put it up as an auction. You might win or lose, but at least it will find a level.

Yeah, I think you're right. It's just stuff that's cluttering up the house so I need to adopt the mindset that any money I can raise for it is a bonus.

I chucked something out yesterday that I've been holding onto for a few years. Thought it might be worth putting on ebay but it turns out that it is now obsolete and literally worthless, no good to anyone. There's a lesson in that.
Ctrl-Alt-Del / Re: Booking flight on http website
« Last post by Woofage on Today at 01:33:32 pm »
It's bad practice but probably not anything to worry about*, because what happens next is that all the information you've entered into the booking form is sent back to you by e-mail  ::-).

* except CC details, obv.
My understanding is like citoyen's.

Ethanol is toxic to yeast above a certain concentration and it's unlikely that a wild yeast in the fruit compote would be tolerant of a high booziness.
PBP 2019 / Re: Paris-Brest-Paris 2019 Accommodation
« Last post by Bagman on Today at 01:30:04 pm »
Booked my pitch at Huttopia Rambouillet just now.  Just need to do the qualification rides next.
The Pub / Re: BONG ..And Here is the Not News..BONG
« Last post by Kim on Today at 01:28:31 pm »
I preferred the old days when this article had to be on the front page at all times.
Lt. Col. Larrington (retd.) used to drink that stuff, and still does imbibe the President's XV, a French brew of similar ABV.  Sherry is usually 17.5% and wines of 12-14% have become the norm in recent decades.

Sherry - like Thunderbird - is fortified, so a slightly different case.

AIUI higher alcohol content in wines these days is partly down to the rise in wines from Australia, where grapes growing in higher temperatures have higher sugar content and therefore more alcohol in the end product. And presumably they have also developed strains of yeast that can cope with the trickier fermentation conditions this entails.

Stuff like Sauternes has always been a bit stronger than normal wines, because the botrytis makes the grapes more concentrated, but even that is usually not much over 14%.

15% does sound unusually high. Must try some of that Bombero stuff...

Alcohol content in beers is getting ridiculous these days as well - it's still rare to find anything much over 9% IME, but 6-7% is quite common.
Ctrl-Alt-Del / Re: What options are there to relplace a laptop?
« Last post by Afasoas on Today at 01:20:47 pm »
Windows 10 is an annoyance. So much so, that I barely use my Windows machine at home - I've got Debian on everything else and I enjoy
  • a nice add free experience
  • applying updates when it's convenient for me, as opposed to when it's convenient for Micro$oft
  • an array of quality libre software at my finger tips
  • not having the utter depression that goes with having your data slurped and moneytised

You can buy Dell XPS laptops with Ubuntu pre-loaded.
Audax / Re: AUK CHAIRMAN STATEMENT
« Last post by Manotea on Today at 01:20:45 pm »
Phase 4d: integrate additional external systems developed by AUK volunteers (AAA checker, route planner, DIY validation, etc.)   

Phase 4d ??  We are under considerable pressure to implement this stuff right now (I have been fending off requests from Board level to put the AAA checker on the existing server - it's probably a resource hog).

Goodluck with that. With all due respect to the yourself and the developers, the Board was responsible for specifying routevalidator, and the service has proved so unreliable that I don't use it.

Beyond that, you have to have something to integrate it with...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10