Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Gallery / Re: Percentage road signs
« Last post by Aushiker on Today at 04:30:24 am »
The first had struck me too. I presume the 17% refers to a steep bit later on, and as Aushiker "rode all but 50 metres of the climb" there must have been at least 50 metres that was steep.

It is a fairly long climb [the sign is at the very beginning and out of sight of the really steep part]. Is a fairly steepish climb for most of it with the real kick going around a bend. That is the part I walked. Last time I rode this road I walked a lot more of it but I guess I am fitter this time. I think if one was on a roadie [I was on a loaded fatbike] the whole climb would be doable.

The sign I assume is an international standard or the roads people have used the wrong version [wouldn't be surprised if it was the later but].  Bit like this floodway sign. The floodway was behind me down the bottom of the hill where it was expected :)

The Pub / Re: Tune Association
« Last post by Pedaldog on Today at 12:41:03 am »
The Chicken Song - Spitting Image.
Just learned that Chris Tsangarides, veteran engineer/producer for the likes of Gary Moore, Ozzy, Sabbath, Judas Priest, Ian Gillan, Bruce Dickinson and my chum Alexis' band Everafter died a couple of weeks ago, aged 61.

2018!  Stop it!
The Pub / Re: Tune Association
« Last post by Mr Larrington on Yesterday at 11:50:58 pm »
Wooden Chicken ~ Jesus Couldn't Drum
OT Knowledge / Re: £1 old coin fail
« Last post by Martin on Yesterday at 11:47:55 pm »
Thanks  :thumbsup:

I've also found several 100 pre euro EU coins; are these OK to bung in a charity box at Gatwick?
The Pub / Re: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread
« Last post by fuzzy (retd.) AAGE on Yesterday at 11:36:48 pm »
After over a week of overcast, last night I got to play with my new eyepieces for my tellingscope. One of them is a 2" behemoth so I took the 1.25" adaptor out and inserted said behemoth. Lined up on the Orion Nebula and........ PANIC :o New EP won't focus.

Much cursing and adjusting and still nothing but a blur.  I start to remove the EP continuing to curse and fume but notice that, just as the EP leaves the scope, focus is achieved. After much head scratching I remember the 2" EP adaptor that came with the scope.....

:facepalm: and verily   :-[
Audax / Re: Unusual place names.
« Last post by Jaded on Yesterday at 11:36:00 pm »
Wooly-ish

Oh, sorry, we've had this bottom before.
Freewheeling / Re: So you think your lock is safe?
« Last post by Karla on Yesterday at 11:26:48 pm »
The first security tip I've picked up: drill out the retainer bolts if you own a New York lock.
Rides and Touring / Re: LeJog
« Last post by Charlie Polecat on Yesterday at 11:24:01 pm »
I see little merit in trying to LEJoG quickly.

There's so much of Britain to see if you take an interesting route.

Why rush? You're unlikely to repeat the ride and going home leaving almost everything interesting unseen because you wanted to pedal quickly devalues the trip of a lifetime to a long drag of pounding potentially boring roads.

I recall in the Prado one year passing from one room to another and coming across a Goya and audibly grousing: "Not another bloody Goya".

One can ride at any speed and become inured to the scenery such that another castle, another cute inn, another cathedral, another, ...... well you get the meaning until the sights become just more eye candy and one's appetite for another historic building or visual scenery palls and getting the ride over becomes the imperative.

Building on Dim's comment, I do find that once a ride or hike or whatever it is gets under way I become impatient to have it completed and over with and of necessity I plan for that. No matter that I may commence a journey with the intent of taking it all in and recording it as if I was writing some nonsense on Facebook - I don't, but it usually doesn't take long before I am driving on anxious to find something else.

Some have a great attention spans and can comfortably meander through life taking pleasure in the minutia (stopping and smelling the roses at every turn), but that is not my metier. There is no proper way to ride LeJog, and fortunately, there is room for all of us.  :thumbsup:
Audax / Re: Unusual place names.
« Last post by drossall on Yesterday at 11:19:21 pm »
So Y is pres de Ypres?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10