Author Topic: 2018 North Yorkshire Brevets Unpopulaire  (Read 25771 times)

Re: 2018 North Yorkshire Brevets Unpopulaire
« Reply #25 on: 27 September, 2017, 03:19:33 pm »
Very interested in the hundred miler, it's just I live such a stupid distance away. The travelling will be way harder than the ride. Maybe you could put a 300k or 400k on in 2019 (a la James and his TINAT rides next year) to make it worth the effort getting to the start? :thumbsup:

« Reply #26 on: 27 September, 2017, 03:24:03 pm »
It's just off the A19, you know...

« Reply #27 on: 27 September, 2017, 06:35:19 pm »
On the other hand, it's past the end of the M1!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #28 on: 27 September, 2017, 06:36:22 pm »
I think tarmac has had its day. Off-road audax ("roardax"? CORdax?) is taking over, with more events every year.

In the 2019 calendar,  I predict only a few PBP qualifiers will be on tarmac (and a "lightweights" version of the Easter Arrow).

The AAA system will need a complete overhaul (what a shame after years of stability). New awards will surface ("least popular event", "muddiest post-ride party","most outrageous off-roading pun" )

What will we get in 2020? Bike biathlon?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #29 on: 27 September, 2017, 06:43:36 pm »
I think tarmac has had its day. Off-road audax ("roardax"? CORdax?) is taking over, with more events every year.

In 2019 I predict only a few PBP qualifiers will be on tarmac (and a "lightweights" version of the Easter Arrow).

The AAA system will need a complete overhaul (what a shame after years of stability). New awards will surface ("least popular event", "muddiest post-ride party","most outrageous off-roading pun" )

Some think that tarmac finishes at the end of the M1 in any case.

CORdax has a maximum actual tyre size of 23mm in width and a minimum inflatoin pressure of 160psi

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #30 on: 27 September, 2017, 07:05:32 pm »
Some think that tarmac finishes at the end of the M1 in any case.

CORdax has a maximum actual tyre size of 23mm in width and a minimum inflatoin pressure of 160psi
IME most decent UK tarmax is north of the M1 and/or west of the M5.

Sorry about CORdax - I didn't realise it already had a strict definition. Every day's a school day  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #31 on: 27 September, 2017, 07:09:40 pm »

In 2019 I predict only a few PBP qualifiers will be on tarmac (and a "lightweights" version of the Easter Arrow).

Surely "New awards will be unsurfaced"?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
« Reply #32 on: 27 September, 2017, 11:03:19 pm »
If we wait a couple more years most existing events will qualify as "mixed surface" The Wessex SR already does. That's why we love it.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

« Reply #33 on: 27 September, 2017, 11:14:08 pm »

In the 2019 calendar,  I predict only a few PBP qualifiers will be on tarmac (and a "lightweights" version of the Easter Arrow).

I don't seem to have your PayPal entry,  Matt. I'll.assume it's in the post.

But I would love to see more of these events, hence my Arrivee article. James's rides around Wales look fabulous. Why limit yourself to tarmac?

But I also offer a lovely all on-road 300 on the same day from the same venue if anyone fancies a tour of the Dales ;D

« Reply #34 on: 28 September, 2017, 12:20:56 am »
What, you mean you didn't call the long one "Moor unpopulaire than ever"?  I'm shocked.

As I said tonight,  i'm trying to throw the net a little wider than the ten AUKS who would understand that pun :)

« Reply #35 on: 28 September, 2017, 12:50:48 am »
If it's any help for bike choice, I rode the "adventure cross" in Galloway a few years ago - not an audax, but long, hilly and a mix of on and off road (gravelly) with one tiny MTB section. I was writing it up for a magazine and interviewed people afterwards, asking, "what bike did you do it on, and was that the right choice?"

No matter if they rode on a CX, a MTB, some kind of in-between hybrid, of whatever combination of tyres/pressures/bars/frames - everyone said THEIR bike was the right one.

So that answers that.

Aye - to paraphrase Dr Mekon's comment about the range of bikes last year, every bike would have have been the perfect bike at some point in the ride.

I welcome a range of bikes. I wouldn't recommend your carbon fibre race bike, but Richard got around just fine on his Cervelo with 20-spoke wheels last year, so what do I know.

Anyone fancy bringing a tandem? Or a recumbent?

Chris S

« Reply #36 on: 28 September, 2017, 09:34:51 am »
Anyone fancy bringing a tandem?

I would - but I doubt fboab would be keen  ;D

« Reply #37 on: 28 September, 2017, 09:44:46 am »
Anyone fancy bringing a tandem?

What's Floyd Landis doing that weekend?

(From The Radiavist here)

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #38 on: 28 September, 2017, 10:13:15 am »
I don't seem to have your PayPal entry,  Matt. I'll.assume it's in the post.

I see what you've done there ...

;D
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #39 on: 28 September, 2017, 12:02:17 pm »
Forget the Yorkshire True Grit. It's nowhere near as offroady as that. 30-40% offroad.

Loads of photos from last year are in the current Arrivee, or on last year's thread: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=100815.0

Cheers Dean, that's bike choice sorted then, entry on the way once I've got Auk membership sorted.

The pics look great, I'm looking forward to this already.

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #40 on: 28 September, 2017, 12:23:38 pm »
Oh no Deano!! I want to enter all three!!!! Can I pencil myself in for the 300 Organisers rise and stay over on the actual event so I can ride the 150?
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #41 on: 28 September, 2017, 12:26:42 pm »
Riding to the long one from  home would take me a squidge over 200 km.  Hmm ...

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #42 on: 28 September, 2017, 12:43:50 pm »
Ar$e! It isn't the same weekend as the Tour de Yorkshire!  ;)
That's my one and only excuse gone - I suppose I'm going to have to enter now! :-D

ETA: ...and done! Better get the old galaxy tourer fettled with some chunkier tyres! :-D
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

« Reply #43 on: 28 September, 2017, 09:18:25 pm »

« Reply #44 on: 28 September, 2017, 10:22:46 pm »
I'd better enter quickly, before it fills up!

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #45 on: 30 September, 2017, 09:26:40 am »
I'll add links to the rides on RWGPS above and update the calendar page (sorry, meant to do it last night) - you can, of course, just download the vanilla GPX for nowt. I've added some extras, but they're not really necessary.
Cheers Dean, just one bit I needed to fix on OSM.  I use an edge which cannot nom .gpx, strict diet of .tcx.

Quite tempted to add another gravel bit, the geograph photos look fab.  I'm sure Mr Bond will be thrilled to unnecessarily make his longest ride ever longer by 5km ;D
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #46 on: 30 September, 2017, 09:41:36 am »
I've entered - Moor Gravel Forever 150km:)

« Reply #47 on: 30 September, 2017, 11:11:52 am »
I'll add links to the rides on RWGPS above and update the calendar page (sorry, meant to do it last night) - you can, of course, just download the vanilla GPX for nowt. I've added some extras, but they're not really necessary.
Cheers Dean, just one bit I needed to fix on OSM.  I use an edge which cannot nom .gpx, strict diet of .tcx.

Quite tempted to add another gravel bit, the geograph photos look fab.  I'm sure Mr Bond will be thrilled to unnecessarily make his longest ride ever longer by 5km ;D

You can download the tcx too :)

I think you've missed off the track from the sheep shelter .

I nearly sent you lot down the old railway and down the chimney into Rosedale, but the northern loop is perfect. You stay up high and get to see the sea (weather permitting).

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #48 on: 30 September, 2017, 03:04:49 pm »
You can download the tcx too :)
So I can, I thought tcx download was a paid for thing.  Thanks  :thumbsup:

I think you've missed off the track from the sheep shelter .
The track from the sheep shelter is the bit I needed to fix.  It was on OSM but cycle.travel defaults to inaccessible for anything marked as highway=track.  Its a designated traffic free cycle & foot route on OS so I've added access tags such that next time cycle.travel is updated it will become routable.  Bit cheeky as you're not supposed to use OS as source for OSM.  I checked the definitive rights of way map both sides (that track is the border between two councils) which is one of the correct sources to use for OSM corrections but it's just coloured as border.  I'm sure it's simply an administrative error that the border colour obliterates the right of way colouring O:-)

I nearly sent you lot down the old railway and down the chimney into Rosedale, but the northern loop is perfect. You stay up high and get to see the sea (weather permitting).
Noted, 6 months to decide.  As planned we'd be travelling up from Rosedale.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Terry2wheelz

• terry2wheelz
« Reply #49 on: 01 October, 2017, 05:37:00 pm »
Hey Up Deano !
I've fired you over a PM -  when you get a minute please have a shufty.

Thanks
Terry from Bury.
Fatter Riders Bounce Better :-) !