Author Topic: Is this a Surly Frame?  (Read 1245 times)

dim

Is this a Surly Frame?
« on: 17 January, 2018, 08:14:46 pm »
I spotted this on Ebay for £49 Buy it Now....:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Steel-Touring-Bike-Frame-26-wheels-Surly-Long-Haul-Trucker/302606202033?hash=item4674bc34b1:g:eVgAAOSw-RFaX50Q

seller says that it's not a Surly, but I used to own a Surly LHT and the frame/forks look the same, but I'm not sure about the seat clamp? .... I'm not looking at buying it, but maybe someone here might .... £49 seems like a bargain even though the colour may not suit everyone

“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

Re: Is this a Surly Frame?
« Reply #1 on: 17 January, 2018, 08:55:29 pm »
I used to own a Surly LHT and the frame/forks look the same, but I'm not sure about the seat clamp?

If it's an LHT, it doesn't look like any of the ones shown in a google image search (or at any rate, any of the ones I clicked on). Forks are different, cable routing is different, seat clamp is different, dropouts are different and there's only one set of bottle cage bosses.

« Reply #2 on: 17 January, 2018, 09:03:05 pm »
yup. LHT looks like this

IMHO someone has taken a mid-'90s MTB frame (check out the threaded headset and canti braze-fittings), powder coated it, and applied some Surly decals.  Will probably build into a half-decent 26" wheeled touring bike, but does not have rack braze-ons at the front.

NB also has horizontal dropouts; it may prove to be difficult to stop the wheel from pulling over when giving it some in low gears.

cheers

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3 on: 18 January, 2018, 08:44:08 am »
Wot Brucey said.

Interesting that Surly seem to have now become desirable in an e-bay sort of way. Perhaps slightly worrying!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #4 on: 18 January, 2018, 09:23:20 am »
Definitely not a Surly. I did have a look at it and think it says in the description that the only Surly thing about it are the stickers.