Author Topic: Running shoes - How much?  (Read 1498 times)

Running shoes - How much?
« on: 19 January, 2018, 06:37:07 pm »
How much do you have to pay to get something half decent?

My old pair are ancient and knackered (I haven't done any running for about a decade)

I was surprised how cheap they were when I had a look in a shop the other day. They were in the proper running shoe section (rather than "Training" or "Leisure") and most were around £30 to £70 with a few even cheaper and a few approaching a ton.

So what do you runners out there think? And do you have any recommendations?

Ta.
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Re: Running shoes - How much?
« Reply #1 on: 19 January, 2018, 06:56:12 pm »
Those prices sound about right. And a good shop will bring you a selection for you to try (as in running in, maybe on a treadmill, maybe down the road and back) and won’t tell you the price until you’ve chosen the best pair for you.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #2 on: 20 January, 2018, 08:55:43 am »
I over pronate  and so  forth, so I tend to spend about £100  each time.

« Reply #3 on: 20 January, 2018, 09:45:39 am »
Go and get checked out first to see if no need shoes for pronation etc., then try on as many as you can until you find the shoes that fit like a glove.  You'll not regret it when you're out there running.

Forget brand preconceptions and recommendations because what works for me is unlikely to work for you.   Having recently returned to running I tried on loads of shoes and ended up with the brand I used to use a decade or more back. It was a close thing in the end though and I'll try on loads again for the next purchase.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #4 on: 20 January, 2018, 09:53:39 am »
Mrs Telstarbox says that she over pronates and following an assessment in the shop, ended up with a pair of Nikes for £100 which have done the job.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #5 on: 20 January, 2018, 10:32:10 am »
I generally keep an eye out at the Nike outlet store on the back wall where they have another 30-50% off the already discounted price. I don't think I've ever paid more than £30. I have one pair of Lunarglide 5, that are nearing the end of their life, and a pair of Lunarglide 7 to replace them. A couple of pairs of Nike Free 5.0 for treadmill work too. Those shoes work for me though, they may not for you.

« Reply #6 on: 20 January, 2018, 01:06:27 pm »
And a good shop will bring you a selection for you to try (as in running in, maybe on a treadmill, maybe down the road and back) and won’t tell you the price until you’ve chosen the best pair for you.

I've just been to a shop like that this morning. No prices and £15 for a gait test on a treadmill (which is waived if you actually buy some shoes). When pressed on prices, the guy said typically 120 - 150 notes. Fuck that - I'm not Mo Farrah.

I generally keep an eye out at the Nike outlet store on the back wall where they have another 30-50% off the already discounted price. I don't think I've ever paid more than £30.

Cheers, there's a Nike store not far away, so I'll go and see what they've got...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

rr

« Reply #7 on: 20 January, 2018, 08:13:53 pm »
Try the new decathlon

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

« Reply #8 on: 22 January, 2018, 10:50:08 am »
I started with some ok shoes - Karrimor - for £40 - they fit fine and are comfortable enough. But I have a damaged ankle which was getting sore. On advice from a running forum I tried Hoka one one - like running on space hoppers.

Top end gear, bought from a shop, £85 on discount (list price 105). Could have got them online for £60, but I really needed to try multiple pairs on.

Compared to bike gear, it is cheap. For the amount of miles/km I do, I expect them to last 2 years, so that's a bargain.

If I didn't have the damaged ankle, I'd have been happy with the £40 shoes.
<i>Marmite slave</i>