Author Topic: Future Classics?  (Read 9618 times)

Re: Future Classics?
« Reply #50 on: 27 March, 2018, 08:20:39 am »
A B66 on a traditional city bike is as practical as it is aesthetically pleasing. 

Until someone pinches it. In London at least the thieves know what they're worth.

« Reply #51 on: 27 March, 2018, 02:13:01 pm »
If talking saddles I would think that the Idéale (just relaunched into production at inter-galactic prices) and the Berthoud might be considered in some parts of the world as "classic". I don't think the dates of founding fit the OP though.

I would be another voter for Carradice - but only the Camper Longflap and the Barley!

Of course there is always Reynolds 531 - a real classic! (Until someone decides to stop making it)

« Reply #52 on: 27 March, 2018, 07:58:22 pm »
531's now special order only, isn't it? Though 631 is 21 years old, which has to be semi-classic status of some kind...

« Reply #53 on: 27 March, 2018, 10:18:19 pm »
Okay, I wondered there was something specific that happened in 1978.

Blackburn btw are still going 41 years on and I see they're still making a rack that looks almost identical to the one I bought in the late 80s (and still have but no longer use cos the spacing is too narrow for modern bikes); it's called the EX1 now, I don't know what they called it back then. I reckon with them it's just the competition have caught up.
http://www.blackburndesign.com/en_eu/racks.html

And Blackburn lowrider?  Still have mine somewhere.

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #54 on: 28 March, 2018, 10:40:29 am »
Okay, I wondered there was something specific that happened in 1978.

Blackburn btw are still going 41 years on and I see they're still making a rack that looks almost identical to the one I bought in the late 80s (and still have but no longer use cos the spacing is too narrow for modern bikes); it's called the EX1 now, I don't know what they called it back then. I reckon with them it's just the competition have caught up.
http://www.blackburndesign.com/en_eu/racks.html

And Blackburn lowrider?  Still have mine somewhere.

So do I, but no way would I consider them "classic". UNC U bolts in a metric world - lose a nut on tour and you're stuffed! (and I bought mine in the 21st century!)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #55 on: 30 March, 2018, 06:17:14 pm »
Also the flat section under the top rail limits the number of panniers it can be used with.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.