Author Topic: CTC/CUK AGM 2018  (Read 2745 times)

Philip Benstead

• Cycling4ALL - say No Bike No Life
CTC/CUK AGM 2018
« on: 26 March, 2018, 10:47:06 pm »

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ctcsheffield/

Barry Raynor
Admin · 2 hrs
In the latest edition of Cycle Magazine (April/May 2018) There is a voting form on the inside and reverse of the address A4 sheet. DO NOT THROW THIS AWAY. The form allows you to vote on 5 motions for the 2018 AGM by postal vote. To vote you must sign against 2a to register your vote and once voted you can simply place your A4 sheet in an envelope then address it to "FREEPOST ERS" no address and no stamp needed.

Ordinary business 1,2 and 3 are self explanatory but Ordinary Resolutions 4 and 5 are much more important especially motion 5.

Motion 4 asks if you are willing to support a full membership increase of £1.50 per annum. (Take your pick)

Motion 5 is VERY IMPORTANT it reads " That each Cycling UK member is entitled to stand for election to the Board of Trustees without having to satisfy a nomination committee's conditions, instead which a proposal supported by 10 other members should be sufficient to place their name on the ballot paper."

For the sake of DEMOCRACY I URGE you to VOTE FOR this motion. Unless you know who is on the "Nominations Committee" and you know that each of them have been democratically installed themselves, I urge that you support this motion to help restore democracy to this once great organisation.

Do not post this ballot paper back with blank voting boxes, the rules state that this transfers your vote to the Chair, who will almost certainly vote against this so the 'Nominations Committee' have control of candidates who are forwarded as Trustees.

The ballot paper includes instructions for those who prefer to vote on line.

I will be happy to discuss further with anyone this Thursday at the CTC slide show at the Fat Cat,

Barry
Philip Benstead B.Env.Sc. (Hons.), NSI

Independent Cycle Campaigner and Cycle Consultant
DfT accredited BikeAbility Instructor / L3 Mechanic
07949801698 cycling4westminster@gmail.com

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: CTC/CUK AGM 2018
« Reply #1 on: 27 March, 2018, 09:28:23 am »
As this is happening about two miles from home I was idly thinking of attending. But it does sound like it's probably the kind of thing that's full of comma-worriers, plus I dislike being the third youngest person in the room.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2 on: 27 March, 2018, 10:55:17 pm »
Thank for pointing this out Philip.  While i might not always  agree with you I think that I may in this instance and will investigate further.

Philip Benstead

« Reply #3 on: 29 March, 2018, 09:29:46 am »
AGM 2018
Has anybody seen CTC/CUK Annural report and Accounts Sep 2017.

Given CTC/CUK is a charity in receipt of public funds it need to be transparent and open to public inspection.

What are the membership numbers.  Even if the actual number is not published you can  gauge any increase or decrease by using the membership income as a marker.

« Reply #4 on: 29 March, 2018, 09:34:24 am »
The accounts for last year should be presented at this year’s AGM so I wouldn’t expect them to be available yet. The latest filed accounts will be on the Charity Commission website.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Philip Benstead

« Reply #5 on: 29 March, 2018, 12:11:57 pm »
Should the CTC/CUK do away with the AGM?
What is the point?
With postal votes the chair can overrule the any motion they do not like.

It would be more honest if the membership was converted to supporters and change the name to CYCLING UK

Philip Benstead

« Reply #6 on: 29 March, 2018, 05:11:52 pm »
https://www.cyclinguk.org/agm

The docs are now available what a surprise?

2018 AGM Agenda and 2017 Minutes
2017 05 13 Articles of Association
2018 AGM Motions Ruled out of Order
2017 ERS Voting Results
Accounts for 2016/17

« Reply #7 on: 29 March, 2018, 06:28:02 pm »
Should the CTC/CUK do away with the AGM?
Not allowed to as it's now a charity.
I know some people, including Philip, are still upset about that change, but it has now happened, it is a one way valve, so there is no going back, and running large charities is a complex business. It can be bad enough with a small one (says he who has a copy of the Charities Act 2012 on his phone for easy reference). For example (and I know hard cases make bad laws) Kids Company. Some of those trustees were very high profile people with lots of experience in various fields. Didn't stop the charity going under. That's why they have the Nomination Committee business. Not sure I really like it, but I don't have any emotional attachment to the organisation; it's just an insurance provider to me and if it stops being that I shall leave.

« Reply #8 on: 29 March, 2018, 06:39:28 pm »
it's just an insurance provider to me and if it stops being that I shall leave.
it's a pity you feel that way, but if that's all it is you I doubt you're getting the best value or cover. 

« Reply #9 on: 29 March, 2018, 06:51:01 pm »
it's just an insurance provider to me and if it stops being that I shall leave.
it's a pity you feel that way, but if that's all it is you I doubt you're getting the best value or cover.
Probably not. Life is busy and staying where I am is the easiest option. I've been meaning to check energy supplier prices for a couple of years and only got round to doing today after Eon annoyed me  :facepalm:

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
« Reply #10 on: 29 March, 2018, 08:48:03 pm »
Whilst recognising the need for expertise on the board of trustees I do agree with the motion regarding the nomination committee bypass - it's only to allow a member with 10 supporters to stand for election. The members can still then decide that the candidate has or has not the relevant talent and vote accordingly.
Doubt is is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

Philip Benstead

« Reply #11 on: 14 April, 2018, 10:06:25 am »
 Cyclists’ Touring Club

Annual Report and Consolidated Financial Statements

30 September 2017

I have place it in a excel file so that calculations can be made .

https://db.tt/BZ9FES4cb3

Sometime next week will  post comparative information from previous years.

Original papers at https://www.cyclinguk.org/agm

I would be grateful for a polite debate on the progress of the CTC/CUK to fulfil it objectives, and if those objectives (listed in the report)are the correct ones.

If you have no knowledge or interest in this subject just past in the night without comment.

I find some of the abuse levelled at me unpleasant the individuals who do it I do not  know and hide behind an anonymous  name.

I assume they originate from Norway and are of diminutive in statute.