Author Topic: Help me get my mojo back  (Read 4565 times)

Help me get my mojo back
« on: 08 April, 2018, 09:03:11 am »
After 30 years of audaxing, with an Ultra Randonneur and 2 PBP's under my belt, at 65 years of age I've suddenly lost my appetite for audax. I turned up for an event yesterday, having travelled 200 miles, and just didn't want to ride it - so I turned back. The last few events I've ridden have been without much enthusiasm. Have I come to the end of long distance stuff or is there something I can do to re-energise myself?

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: Help me get my mojo back
« Reply #1 on: 08 April, 2018, 09:09:02 am »
Take a break, take time to do something else (fell running, mountain biking, bungee jumping), rediscover the reason why you got into Audax, then start doing some rides. We all, at some point hit this (as do all sports peeps), the secret is not to sell all your gear and take up couch cycling, but to do something else with the intention of one day returning.

Good luck
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 08 April, 2018, 09:15:30 am »
I strongly agree with tiermat but also think about riding a brevet for a different reason. Meeting up with an old friend for a natter on the bike or exploring a country you've never been to before. Slogging round overly-familiar roads just for the sake of racking up miles doesn't thrill too many people.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #3 on: 08 April, 2018, 09:34:56 am »
Ring the changes: compete in a time-trial; go touring; just ride somewhere following your nose, with no agenda.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4 on: 08 April, 2018, 09:46:58 am »
There is life outside Audax; live it!

If you get your mojo back, fine!

If you don't there are other fish to fry and fretting about your Audax mojo will sap the motivation to enjoy life in general.

Enjoy whatever life has to offer and DON'T WASTE YOUR LIFE BY FRETTING!

Ben T

« Reply #5 on: 08 April, 2018, 09:53:40 am »
Maybe get a new bike, or at least some new component(s) for (one of) your current bike(s).

« Reply #6 on: 08 April, 2018, 10:37:26 am »
After 30 years of audaxing, with an Ultra Randonneur and 2 PBP's under my belt, at 65 years of age I've suddenly lost my appetite for audax.

Pretty good innings, I'd say. Some people get to where you are after 30 months!

Mojo may return, it may not.

I'd be more inclined to think that, at 65, you've got a decent platform on which to maintain your health - don't throw that away whatever you do.
Garry Broad

dim

« Reply #7 on: 08 April, 2018, 02:25:31 pm »
buy a new expensive bike ....

that normally helps you get your Mojo back  :thumbsup:
“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #8 on: 08 April, 2018, 02:58:36 pm »
Umm ..  76 now ..but having only really started at 65 ........   LEL, 2 successful PBP ( and a failure ) , LEJOG  , 10 SRs and a run of 118 consecutive months of at least 1 200 ..  and even the vets champs with 100 points and the organiser  of finances for the last 2 LELs ..but now I find myself in the same boat.

How do I remotivate myself now .. my guess is initially riding with friends on a weekly basis to the pub , (but I have no friends who ride !!) , or the seaside etc .. possibly longer trips  to visit family .. taking 2 days to do what used to be a 300kms ride. Longer term target .. say across France in Autumn .

I was rescued several years ago when LWB and HK got me to do a 300 over in Holland .. that kick started keeping going for 10SRs

CoCo .. could we even crack this together .. I am Norwich based .. how about you ?
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #9 on: 08 April, 2018, 03:43:15 pm »

I'd be more inclined to think that, at 65, you've got a decent platform on which to maintain your health - don't throw that away whatever you do.

Oi!  I reach that milestone next week.

« Reply #10 on: 08 April, 2018, 04:52:38 pm »
I am 62 and one of those lucky sportsmen of that age who has survived a heart attack.The thought of wet and windy rides has not inspired me this winter, plus dangerous to my health, so I have cut down Audax and become a fair weather ride for now.

I am going to Italy to ride in the mountains for a week in the sunshine, also doing Tour of Cambridgeshire, Velothon Wales and Velo South, plus charity rides, sportives, club rides, even one of those Wiggle France daytrips. Not completely given up on Audax, I will do a handful of Eastern region rides to keep ticking over.

That way I take the pressure off for a while, and will come back more enthusiastic in the next season, maybe PBP becomes a reality, it does not matter, just got to enjoy time on the bike and stay healthy.

Phil W

« Reply #11 on: 08 April, 2018, 04:57:29 pm »
Only you can do that..

Mojo is not something that can really be forced. Going back to the roots of what it is you enjoy when riding your bike may help. Sometimes just writing it down, can help, then seek riding that combines the best of those elements.  For instance, night riding (if you enjoy that) does not have to be a long ride.  Pop out with some mates and do a few hours with a pub, join one of those Friday night rides to the coast, or pick a night with a full moon (and clear forecast)  and ride a mountain road till sunrise. Take a stove with you and brew up under a moon and star lit  sky.

Are you motivated by any of the "grand tours" this year? Having one of those on your horizon may motivate a little. I have the Highland 1000 on my horizon.  I do not have as much time for audax this year, so my build up to such an event is a bit different than previous years.  Mixing up the elements I need but in much more compact packages was and is ongoing fun.

All else fails, do you have other hobbies or interests that can come to the fore, whilst cycling takes a back seat?

« Reply #12 on: 08 April, 2018, 05:57:59 pm »
Coco,

I can relate to doing miles for miles sake and do not have a fraction of the experience you do (currently five months into my first RRTY attempt).

If you want to stay involved with audax maybe try some shorter routes - 100's are great fun and, assuming you are not travelling too far to the start, will not take up an entire day and leave you exhausted.

Another idea would be for you to consider organising an audax ride of your own. You obviously have lots of experience and will know what riders need and enjoy. I would also guess that you know some great routes close to you and it could be rewarding to share them with other riders.

« Reply #13 on: 08 April, 2018, 07:29:17 pm »
I’ll add my voice to the “do something else for a bit” chorus. I failed to get round the big ride I had planned last year and then, without meaning to, had 6 months off the bikes. I’ve done some running, had a tattoo on my leg with instructions not to get it muddy or sweaty and seen a bit more of my family :)
Then a Christmas book about a tour and fond memories have resparked my interest, I’ve just got through 3 ignored copies of Arrivee, and am building up the actual cycling again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #14 on: 08 April, 2018, 07:59:43 pm »
I know the feeling and I have called a moratorium on riding audaxes apart from the odd few.  This year will be dedicated to improving swimming and climbing but not at the same time.
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

Phil W

« Reply #15 on: 08 April, 2018, 08:51:12 pm »
I know the feeling and I have called a moratorium on riding audaxes apart from the odd few.  This year will be dedicated to improving swimming and climbing but not at the same time.

Oh I don't know, have you done any deep water soloing?

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #16 on: 08 April, 2018, 10:47:58 pm »
except for the odd fewexcept when absolutely necessary...

Given up point chasing and anything resembling suffering and focus on  longer rides overseas. Audax format - cos that works for me - but not necessarily ACP/LRM. Looking more at TCR style outings.

Have space blanket and lightweight mat, will travel. :)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #17 on: 08 April, 2018, 11:51:49 pm »

« Reply #18 on: 09 April, 2018, 07:21:14 am »
Normally I’d roll my eyes at throwing money at a problem like this and suggestions to buy a new bike. However, have you considered a trike?

It’s like learning to ride again, and guaranteed to put a massive grin on your face. After the terror has worn off...

John

« Reply #19 on: 09 April, 2018, 11:38:15 am »
I'm following this with interest, my MoJo has departed and taken all the CDs and my favourite pet with it.
 Having just begun this Audax malarkey - I competed an SR last year and rode a - quite reasonable for me - 11,000km finishing off with a Rapha Festive 500. I'm now sat here in April looking back at a post christmas (around 2 weeks) break that has lasted over 2 & a half months.

I rode ( am I allowed to add, quite quickly ?) a 200 BRM with a French club a couple of weeks ago and that equalled 33% of this years mileage. I have a 300 coming up and probably won't add any km's beforehand. I have a place on the Bryan Chapman ..... can you see where this is going ?
I want to be on the start line for PBP and am just digging in to get a decent pre-qualifier / registration ride in the bank.

Getting to the point - As I have a very modest palmares and a fixed goal. I know that I have to regain some form by just getting on with it, the bigger prize is the thing. Those of you who have been there and done it may not feel the ambition / pressure. I have been contemplating my strategy for the next time I feel this way. I'd quite like to do an SR on a bike that I built myself, so a frame building course would be nice. Err, that's it.

Summary, Don't listen to me, I've just wasted a whole cake-stop of time waffling. Good luck.
Let them eat cake

« Reply #20 on: 09 April, 2018, 12:23:01 pm »
What about volunteering or organising ? Seeing rides (& riders) from the other side of the fence can be quite inspiring ...

« Reply #21 on: 09 April, 2018, 02:31:53 pm »
Doing (or getting involved in) something non-cycle related may get you ocassionally thinking about
riding. That's what is happening with me.

« Reply #22 on: 09 April, 2018, 05:10:35 pm »
I usually lose my mojo every year when the weather changes from Autumn to Winter.  Its more commonly known as Seasonal Affective Disorder.  When the weather turns to Spring again it usually comes back.  However I find that doing a ride in a different area by putting the bike in the boot of the car and driving out of the city helps a lot.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23 on: 09 April, 2018, 06:46:56 pm »
I usually lose my mojo every year when the weather changes from Autumn to Winter.  Its more commonly known as Seasonal Affective Disorder.  When the weather turns to Spring again it usually comes back.  However I find that doing a ride in a different area by putting the bike in the boot of the car and driving out of the city helps a lot.

Riding somewhere that isn't within about an hour's cycling distance of central Birmingham does wonders for my mojo.  We once organised a successful forum ride on that basis.

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #24 on: 09 April, 2018, 08:52:09 pm »
However I find that doing a ride in a different area by putting the bike in the boot of the car and driving out of the city helps a lot.

Good idea .. I like that suggestion.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!