Author Topic: Thru Axles  (Read 1663 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Thru Axles
« on: 13 April, 2018, 10:08:27 pm »

It looks like thru axle (12mm or 15mm) is becoming increasingly standard for road bikes with disk brakes. What I've been trying to understand is just how standard is the thru axle design? Can I take a thru axle from the wheel on a Giant, and put it on the wheel of a Canyon?

Thanks

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Thru Axles
« Reply #1 on: 13 April, 2018, 10:20:09 pm »
The axle diameters are the same but the threads in the frame (and hence the axle) may vary. Three threads that I know of, perhaps more. You can swap wheels between bikes but might not be lucky with swapping axles.

There is the 142 (current standard) width versus the previous 135 (out of fashion) but I think that is pretty settled.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2 on: 13 April, 2018, 10:28:47 pm »
The axle diameters are the same but the threads in the frame (and hence the axle) may vary. Three threads that I know of, perhaps more. You can swap wheels between bikes but might not be lucky with swapping axles.

There is the 142 (current standard) width versus the previous 135 (out of fashion) but I think that is pretty settled.

My bold

And if you get unlucky you've just borked your frame, as an acquaintance of mine recently discovered.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 13 April, 2018, 11:06:04 pm »

So the threads appear to be M12x1, M12x1.5, or M12x1.75 (ah, gotta love standards...)

Is the length at least standard?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #4 on: 13 April, 2018, 11:20:54 pm »
The axles are considered part of the frame rather than the wheels so you're not expected to swap them between frames. They're a bit like derailleur hangers, and about as standardised.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5 on: 13 April, 2018, 11:23:50 pm »
Another great example of the bicycle industry completely confounding its customers?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #6 on: 14 April, 2018, 10:23:19 am »

So the threads appear to be M12x1, M12x1.5, or M12x1.75 (ah, gotta love standards...)

Is the length at least standard
?

J

In road bikes, until someone has a bright idea , yes.

« Reply #7 on: 14 April, 2018, 11:59:52 am »

Yes, 12x100mm front and 12x142mm is where it is headed but there is variance even within the same brand (Specialized) and I think Cannondale are still on 135mm. They were still using rear QR until this year.

If buying, and already have wheels, then don't assume is the safest way to go.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #8 on: 17 April, 2018, 08:39:30 am »
Most T/A will come with the "nut" end as well. The trend certainly on titanium rears is to have the nut replaceable like a hanger.

Front more complicated as it's usually moulded into a carbon fork - same might also apply to carbon rear dropouts as well.

A lot of wheels/hubs these days are modular so the wheel can be used with either qr, 12 or 15mm with the correct adaptors in place.
Regards,

Joergen

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #9 on: 17 April, 2018, 08:49:25 am »
That ^ is another source of variation, as at least some frames have the "nut" as part of the frame, front and rear.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.