Author Topic: Super-Twat  (Read 888892 times)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
Re: Super-Twat
« Reply #3350 on: 25 September, 2018, 03:34:08 pm »
My son has just started secondary school. The school has a small forecourt, through which all pupils enter or leave the site. I was pleased to see in the (very thick) school manual that we were given on day one that this area was not to be used by parents dropping off or picking up their kids.  I was less pleased on the first day that I went to pick him up to see that the entire area was a jam of cars - mainly SUVs - with their engines running.

Oddly enough, today I've had an email from the school inviting me to an open meeting to discuss parents' concerns about air quality around the school (it's next to a busy road, although the buildings are set well back from the road itself).  I wonder what I might suggest.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #3351 on: 25 September, 2018, 03:47:54 pm »
I live next door to a high school, and although our road is not have the main enterance to the school, there is a pedestrian gate at the top of the road. At his time of day (coming up.to 4pm) our road becomes a car park, and there has been more than one occasion when I have had to ask someone to move from across my drive so,that I might enter or exit. My children went to this school, so over the years I’ve known a fair few parents who have parked outside my house, and the short distances some of them regularly drive amazes me.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

ian

« Reply #3352 on: 25 September, 2018, 03:59:50 pm »
Yes, but while navigating a sea of inconsiderately parked cars driven there by distracted parents focused on their phones, a schoolchild could be run down by an errant bicyclist.

Redlight

« Reply #3353 on: 26 September, 2018, 11:28:15 am »
Oddly enough, today I've had an email from the school inviting me to an open meeting to discuss parents' concerns about air quality around the school (it's next to a busy road, although the buildings are set well back from the road itself).  I wonder what I might suggest.

This is what I wrote:

Dear Mrs -

Thank you for this. I was at the presentation a couple of weeks ago and, as the schools’ proximity to the main road was a factor that weighed against it when making our decision to take up the offer of a place, was reassured by your comments that the levels of pollution around the school buildings and proposed play areas are immaterial when compared with those around the road itself.

That said, I was very surprised when I came to the school at 4.15 one evening last week for the first time (my son normally takes one of the minibuses) to see the drive in front of the school packed with waiting vehicles, many with their engines running.  I had noted in the parents’ handbook that the school “actively encourages all parents to limit congestion by avoiding use of the front drive” and had assumed this would mean that vehicles were not allowed in.  By permitting vehicles to idle just a few yards from the school buildings the school is, in effect, inviting in the pollution about which parents have expressed concern.

I suggest that as a first step, irrespective of any plans connected with the new build proposal, you make the school grounds a car-free zone (with the exception, of course, of staff vehicles and the school buses). Aside from reducing pollution, this would also make it safer for pupils entering and leaving the building.  There are more than enough places in surrounding streets and retail sites for parents to park when dropping off or collecting children. None of these is more than a short walk away, even for those who do not wish their children to be unaccompanied.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend the meeting on October 2 but I hope that this suggestion will be given consideration, perhaps as part of a wider drive (sic) to encourage more environmentally-friendly travel to and from school.

It will be interesting to see what response I get.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3354 on: 26 September, 2018, 12:49:51 pm »
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #3355 on: 28 September, 2018, 10:15:03 am »
Councillor Bob Frost suspended over Liverpool abortion clinic slur

A Conservative councillor has resigned from the party in Kent following controversial Twitter posts about abortion clinics and slavery.

Dover District councillor Bob Frost tweeted the remarks to a prospective parliamentary Labour candidate.

He said abortion clinics in Liverpool were a form of "crime prevention", and joked that he had "bought two of the staff" from the city's slavery museum.

His move follows a decision by the local party to suspend him.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-45670445

Only a person with the intelligence of a salt-encrusted slug would find his remarks even remotely funny
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

rogerzilla

« Reply #3356 on: 28 September, 2018, 10:52:14 am »
David Beckham, the slimy scumsucker.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3357 on: 28 September, 2018, 11:06:27 am »

Who has he been shagging now?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

fuzzy

« Reply #3358 on: 28 September, 2018, 11:12:23 am »
Blame the prosecuting authority for failing to process the paperwork smartly enough.

Then chastise the scumsucker for being 19mph over the limit.

citoyen

« Reply #3359 on: 28 September, 2018, 03:05:35 pm »
Nick Ferrari? Nick Clapped-out Morris Marina, more like...

http://www.cyclist.co.uk/news/5372/cycle-superhighway-advert-criticised-for-showing-no-cars

The irony is that his complaint could apply to every car advert ever - you know, the ones that show happy, smiling drivers enjoying mile upon mile of empty road...  :facepalm:

ian

« Reply #3360 on: 28 September, 2018, 05:08:20 pm »
Actually, if you ride up that road on a Sunday, there are bugger all cars anyway. Presumably, on that basis we should assume that car drivers don't need it and close it off.

Having read the story, I'm not entirely sure what he's complaining about.

citoyen

« Reply #3361 on: 28 September, 2018, 05:43:24 pm »
Having read the story, I'm not entirely sure what he's complaining about.

Even he doesn't seem to really understand what he is complaining about. I think he's one of those people who is triggered by the mere mention of bicycles. The TFL ad has simply set off his Ronco Automatic Verbiage Spewer and he doesn't know how to turn it off.

ian

« Reply #3362 on: 28 September, 2018, 06:35:26 pm »
Is he, by any faint chance, a fat, middle-aged, overprivileged, affluent, and yet inexplicably perpetually angry white man?

[Googles and fails to be surprised.]

Redlight

« Reply #3363 on: 28 September, 2018, 07:08:51 pm »
Is he, by any faint chance, a fat, middle-aged, overprivileged, affluent, and yet inexplicably perpetually angry white man?

He is.  He lives in Blackheath (as do I) which likes to refer to itself as a village, so at least now we can boast that we also have an idiot.

ian

« Reply #3364 on: 28 September, 2018, 07:25:37 pm »
I'm pretty angry too. I went to the National Gallery and they had no pictures with badgers in them. I'm writing to someone because, you know, well, I am.

I just so wish someone in the ASA would write back and say Dear Mr Ferrari, we've reviewed your complaint and arrived (some seconds later) at the conclusion that we really don't give a shit, you corpulent fuckatoon, but thanks for thinking of us anyway, yours sincerely, your friends at the ASA.

citoyen

« Reply #3365 on: 28 September, 2018, 09:20:43 pm »

He’s the man responsible for News Bunny and Topless Darts.

If “responsible” is the right word.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #3366 on: 29 September, 2018, 11:40:22 am »
With that sort of knee-jerk response, I am always reminded of the closing moments of the Python 'nudge nudge wink wink' sketch, where Idle simply makes 'sexy noises'.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3367 on: 29 September, 2018, 02:43:11 pm »

His parents ran (run?) a local news agency in Deptford and gave über-Gammon Kelvin McKenzie his first job in journalism.  I think the principle of sippenhaft applies here.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #3368 on: 29 September, 2018, 06:26:06 pm »

His parents ran (run?) a local news agency in Deptford and gave über-Gammon Kelvin McKenzie his first job in journalism.  I think the principle of sippenhaft applies here.

Having looked up sippenhaft, because I only know German terms for things that I could eat and drink, I have to agree.

rogerzilla

« Reply #3369 on: 29 September, 2018, 07:56:24 pm »
The very drunk woman on this Marylebone-Oxford train telling her extremely boring (and full of bullshit, you can tell) life story at 150dB to a bunch of strangers.

EDiT: They've told her to FOAD now

EDIT EDIT: she's sharing too much now.  She suffers from severe depression and anxiety.  Probably because she gets ratarsed and everyone tells her to FOAD.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: she got off (well, more fell out) at Bicester.  I pity Bicester.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #3370 on: 29 September, 2018, 08:34:29 pm »
Suffering from depression and anxiety is a problem. Dismissing it in others is a bigger problem. Just saying.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3371 on: 30 September, 2018, 08:02:59 am »
Yes, but putting up with a depressive for long hours is depressing. We had a chronic depressive in our club for a couple of years: after outings where he went along, everyone came home glum.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

rogerzilla

« Reply #3372 on: 30 September, 2018, 09:20:14 am »
It moved onto the benefits of the gym, how to have a butt like "Kim K" and how to work for a really prestigious employer by the end.  The drunk lads sitting near me even stopped their own conversation in amazement and one of them gasped, "I thought WE were bad".

« Reply #3373 on: 30 September, 2018, 05:02:55 pm »
Recent regular nominee Elon Musk has to step down as chairman of Tesla for three years and pay the SEC $20 million after they filed suit against him for his tweets about taking the company private.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45696150

Oh dear. How sad. Never mind...
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

citoyen

« Reply #3374 on: 01 October, 2018, 07:53:00 am »
Oh Kanye... I don’t know what to say.